Foods That Reduce Stomach Pain
An upset stomach from anxiety is not usually the result of your diet , there arent necessarily any dietary changes that can help reduce stomach pain.
However, those with panic attacks are more prone to experiencing more severe stomach pains, even when no anxiety is present. In other words, when you have panic attacks, its possible to have stomach pain even without a panic attack.
Also, those with anxiety attacks and acute anxiety are prone to whats known as over-sensitization. That means that they are more likely to notice and feel smaller, normal body changes, which can trigger an anxiety attack. So if your diet contains foods that cause you gas, stomach discomfort, or mild indigestion, it may be best to avoid them because the slight discomfort could feel worse than it should and may trigger a panic attack.
Thats why healthy eating is important for those that get stomach pain from anxiety. Make sure youre getting:
In addition, if possible, try to avoid eating until youre too full. Those with severe anxiety sometimes interpret the full feeling as pain, which could trigger a panic attack and further pain.
Furthermore, diets containing more alcohol and caffeine can worsen or even cause stomach symptoms. Stay away from these if you want to improve your gut health and digestive problems.
Heres The Best Way To Cure An Upset Stomach
A stomach ache can strike for all kinds of reasons, from contaminated food to chronic disease. It passes, sure, but the pain, headache, diarrhea, vomiting and other classic symptoms of stomach flu ensure a crummy couple of days
It can be tough to know what to put in your body when youre dealing with an upset stomach, but there are a few surefire foods. Ginger, scientifically, is a good place to start. Ginger and also turmeric, which is a member of the ginger family, seem to be anti-inflammatory, says Dr. Emeran Mayer, a professor of digestive diseases at UCLA. Both ginger and turmeric are roots, he says, and may have developed special antibacterial properties in order to withstand contamination from microorganisms in soil. Skip the sugary commercial ginger ales, which contain little real ginger, and sip water infused with ginger or turmeric instead, he advises.
Once youve stopped vomiting and your stomach feels a bit better, you will want to eat. But dont sit down for a big meal nibble food throughout the day instead, Murray explains.
Another issue is that nearly all the research linking probiotics to relief of gut-related issues has looked at freeze-dried probiotics in capsules or tablets, Mason says. Eating yogurt or Kefir or other probiotic foods to relieve symptoms may be effective, but that hasnt yet been shown.
When Stomach Pain Is An Emergency
Sometimes stomach pain is mild at first but gets worse after a few hours. You may also develop other symptoms.
Seek immediate medical attention if you experience any of these symptoms along with stomach pain:
- Extremely hard abdomen
- Coughing up or vomiting blood
- Vomiting that won’t stop
- Inability to have a bowel movement, along with vomiting
- Pain in the neck, shoulder, or between shoulder blades
If you have these symptoms, call for an ambulance or have someone drive you to the ER. You should not “wait and see” or take medicine for the pain. Get help right away.
When stomach pain is associated with these other symptoms, it may be caused by a life-threatening condition. Some examples of these conditions include:
These emergencies usually cause pain that feels extreme. Other circumstances in which you should discuss stomach pain with a healthcare provider include when:
- You’re pregnant
- Your pain started within a week of abdominal surgery
- Your pain started after a procedure in your stomach area, like an endoscopy
- You have ever had surgery on your digestive tract, like a gastric bypass, colostomy, or bowel resection
- Your pain started shortly after an abdominal trauma
- Your abdomen is bruised or rapidly expanding
- Excessive vaginal bleeding, or blood clots and bleeding longer than usual
- You have rectal bleeding, or tarry-looking or bloody stool
Also Check: What Is Good For Upset Stomach And Nausea
It Could Be Constipation
While youre spending a lot of time at home, you may not be moving as much as you usually do. You may also be eating different foods. This can lead to constipation. You may be constipated if you experience:
- Fewer bowel movements than normal for you
- Stool that is lumpy or looks like pebbles
- Difficulty passing stool or a feeling that you still need to go after youre finished
Fortunately, you can make a number of at-home changes to help relieve your constipation. These include:
Homeopathic Remedies For Stomach Ache
Some of the homeopathic remedies for quickly healing stomach ache are:
1. Belladonna : This remedy is useful when stomach ache is caused by intestinal obstruction.
2. Carcinosin : This is good for pain resulted due to constipation and hard stools.
3. Nux vom : It is taken when pain occurs due to indigestion.
4. Arsenicum album : It is used when pain is accompanied by vomiting, restlessness and diarrhoea.
5. Bryonia Alba : This remedy is helpful when there is an acute and sharp pain in the abdomen.
Apart from these remedies, some of the other homeopathic remedies are aconite, colocynthis, pulsatilla, lycopodium, croton tig, and mag phos.
Don’t Miss: How To Lose Stomach Fat If You Are Skinny
Drink Plenty Of Fluids
One of the biggest problems with diarrhea, and what leads many people to the emergency room, is dehydration. Diarrhea causes the body to lose a lot of water and electrolytes it needs to function normally. If not treated appropriately, dehydration can become dangerous, especially in young children.
To manage a mild bout of diarrhea, you will need to replenish fluids and electrolytes lost. Drink plenty of water, clear juices, clear broths, or an electrolyte-rich sports drink.
There are also things you should avoid when you have a bout of diarrhea. Avoid coffee, caffeinated drinks, prune juice, sugary drinks, sodas, and alcohol, all of which have a laxative effect. It is also a good idea to avoid dairy products.
Young children and babies with diarrhea should be given pediatric rehydration drinks, marketed under such brand names as Pedialyte, Enfalyte, or Gastrolyte. Breastfed infants should continue to breastfeed. Children should continue with their regular diet, plus rehydrating fluids, rather than be put on a restrictive diet.
If you want to avoid the artificial colorings or flavorings used in some commercial rehydration drinks, you can make a homemade rehydration drink using only salt, sugar, and water. You can also purchase oral rehydration salts over the counter at most drugstores. Follow the preparation instructions as too much salt can be harmful, especially to children.
What To Expect At Your Office Visit
Your provider will perform a physical exam and ask about your symptoms and medical history. Your specific symptoms, the location of pain and when it occurs will help your provider detect the cause.
LOCATION OF YOUR PAIN
- Where do you feel the pain?
- Is it all over or in one spot?
- Does the pain move into your back, groin, or down your legs?
TYPE AND INTENSITY OF YOUR PAIN
- Is the pain severe, sharp, or cramping?
- Do you have it all the time, or does it come and go?
- Does the pain wake you up at night?
HISTORY OF YOUR PAIN
- Have you had similar pain in the past? How long has each episode lasted?
- When does the pain occur? For example, after meals or during menstruation?
- What makes the pain worse? For example, eating, stress, or lying down?
- What makes the pain better? For example, drinking milk, having a bowel movement, or taking an antacid?
- What medicines are you taking?
OTHER MEDICAL HISTORY
- Have you had a recent injury?
- Are you pregnant?
You May Like: Can Diabetes Cause Stomach Bloating
Ways To Combat Fitness
People still talk about how the elite runner Grete Waitz pooped in her shorts midrace and went on to win the New York City Marathon in 1984. It was no isolated incident: A study of marathon runners showed that 83 percent reported GI troubles while training, with diarrhea and urgent bowel movements topping the list. Even if your practice isnt as intense, you may know too well the mad dash to the nearest Port-a-Potty or wooded area. It most commonly emerges as a problem at longer races, says Lewis Maharam, M.D., known as the Running Doc. If the runs are cramping your exercise routine, Dr. Maharam offers these suggestions:
Also Check: How To Lose Stomach Fat But Keep Booty
Tips To Relieve Symptoms
If someone on the keto diet is experiencing GI problems, they can try to relieve the symptoms by:
- Eating more fiber:Fiber can help relieve constipation or diarrhea. Greens, cucumber, broccoli, and cabbage are some high fiber foods that are suitable as part of a keto diet.
- Eating less dairy: As whole dairy products are high in fat, people starting on a keto diet may consume more of these than they previously did. This dietary change may reveal an intolerance to dairy, common symptoms of which are diarrhea, bloating, and gas.
- Easing into the diet: A sudden change in the diet may disrupt the GI bacteria. Easing into a keto diet by slowly reducing carbs and increasing fats may help the body adapt better.
- Staying hydrated: Drinking can help improve constipation. If a person is experiencing diarrhea, it is important to replace fluids. Drinking water and sugar-free electrolyte beverages can help replace these fluids and any lost electrolytes.
- Adding probiotics and prebiotics: Taking a probiotic supplement or increasing the intake of probiotic- and prebiotic-rich foods may effectively support the gut bacteria during a keto diet. Doing this may
Read Also: What Is It When Your Stomach Hurts
Also Check: Can Your Stomach Hurt From Stress
Can Abdominal Pain Be Prevented
Eating enough fibreand doing regular exercise can help prevent constipation and keep your bowels working well, which will prevent some forms of abdominal pain. It will also reduce your long-term risk of some diseases, such as diverticular disease or bowel cancer.
Drinking plain water but not carbonated or fizzy drinks will reduce the chance of pain from bloating as well as keeping your body healthy.
Following a specific diet can help reduce pain due to lactose intolerance, gallstones, irritable bowel syndrome and trapped gas, or wind.
What Does Abdominal Pain Location Tell You
Location is an important clue to your abdominal pain, though its not the only factor. It may indicate which organs are involved. For example, pain in the upper right quadrant may indicate a problem with your liver or gallbladder.
However, your healthcare provider will also want to know more about what your pain feels like, how often you feel it, and how severe it is. This will give them additional clues about what kind of condition you may have.
Read Also: Why Does The Center Of My Stomach Hurt
What Is Abdominal Pain
Abdominal pain is pain felt anywhere in the area between the bottom of the ribs and the pelvis. Most Australians will experience abdominal pain at some point in their lives.
Abdominal pain can be serious, but most abdominal pain gets better on its own without needing any special treatment.
People sometimes refer to abdominal pain as stomach pain, stomach ache, stomach cramps, tummy pain, sore stomach, wind pain or belly ache.
Pain or discomfort in the abdomen can be mild or severe. It may come on suddenly it could be something that you experience from time to time or it could be an ongoing symptom that lasts for more than 3 months . It can also start off mild and steadily worsen . Pain that comes and goes in waves is referred to as colicky pain.
This page is about abdominal pain in adults, or anyone over the age of 12. Go to this page for information on abdominal pain in children.
How Do You Make Stomach Pains Go Away
Mild stomach aches often go away on their ownyou just need to give it a little time. Waiting might also be a good idea if you have symptoms of mild food poisoning. Diarrhea and vomiting are the bodys way of getting rid of the bacteria and toxins. You should stay well hydrated while the body flushes itself out.
If you think gas is the cause of your stomach ache, over-the-counter antacids like Mylanta Gas can usually do the trick. If you have diarrhea, taking some Pepto-Bismol or Imodium might help.
Recommended Reading: Why Is My Stomach Distended And Bloated
Q: How Long Is Too Long To Be Constipated
A: Dr. Zutshi explains: It depends if youre regularly regular or not.
People who have constipation frequently know what to do when it strikes. Theyll try home remedies during the two or three weeks they dont have a bowel movement. And then if nothing works, they see a doctor, says Dr. Zutshi.
But if youresomeone who doesnt usually experience constipation, see a doctor sooner. Dr.Zutshi recommends making an appointment if constipation lasts longer than aweek.
Diagnosis Of A Stomach Ulcer
Diagnosing a stomach ulcer is done using a range of methods, including:
- Endoscopy a thin flexible tube is threaded down the oesophagus into the stomach under light anaesthesia. The endoscope is fitted with a small camera so the physician can see if there is an ulcer.
- Barium meal a chalky liquid is drunk and an x-ray is performed, showing the stomach lining. These tests are less common nowadays, but may be useful where endoscopy is unavailable.
- Biopsy a small tissue sample is taken during an endoscopy and tested in a laboratory. This biopsy should always be done if a gastric ulcer is found.
- C14 breath test this checks for the presence of H. pylori. The bacteria convert urea into carbon dioxide. The test involves swallowing an amount of radioactive carbon and testing the air exhaled from the lungs. A non-radioactive test can be used for children and pregnant women.
You May Like: How To Lose Baby Fat On Stomach Fast
List Of Natural And Home Remedies For Adults And Children For Diarrhea
Treatments for Adults
- Adults should drink plenty of fluids to avoid dehydration.
- Replenishing water loss is important. Avoid milk as it can make diarrhea worse. Sports beverages can be beneficial because they replenish electrolytes in addition to providing hydration.
- If the patient is able to eat, avoid greasy or fatty foods. Adults, infants, toddlers, and children should be encouraged to follow the BRAT diet . The BRAT diet is a combination of foods to eat to treat diarrhea. If diarrhea is accompanied by nausea, have the person suck on ice chips until the nausea stops. After the diarrhea subsides, avoid alcoholic beverages and spicy foods for two additional days.
- Individuals may be able to continue their usual activities if they are mildly ill with diarrhea however, strenuous exercise should be avoided because exercise increases the risk of dehydration.
- If you are pregnant women and have diarrhea make sure to rehydrate to avoid dehydration, and consult your doctor.
Treatments for Toddlers and Children
Dehydration in children and toddlers can be a great concern. Loose stools are more common in breastfed newborns than in formula-fed babies, so check with your doctor about to expect for your child.
Are herbs safe to take for diarrhea?
Treatment Options For Chronic Abdominal Pain
Treatment depends on the cause. If a physical cause is known, treating the cause is the first step.
When a physical cause is not found, treatment focuses on helping people return to normal daily activities and minimizing discomfort. These measures include:
- Lessening stress and anxiety with medications, relaxation techniques, biofeedback, hypnosis, or other methods
- Relieving pain with medications
- High-fiber diet or fiber supplements
- Reducing muscle spasms in the digestive tract with medications or peppermint oil
Don’t Miss: How To Lose Stomach Fat Men’s Fitness
How Is Abdominal Pain Diagnosed
Your healthcare provider will ask you detailed questions about your pain. Theyll want to know:
- Where you feel it.
- How long youve had it.
- If it comes and goes.
- If its getting worse.
- If it stays in one place or moves.
- What makes it better or worse.
- What other symptoms you have.
From your answers, your healthcare provider will try to determine if you need emergency treatment. Sometimes your healthcare provider will be able to tell right away that your pain is temporary and not serious. Sometimes they may suspect a more serious condition and may want to run some tests. And sometimes they wont be able to solve the mystery on the first visit. Your pain may subside, or you may have to return for further investigation.
How Can I Feel Better
Most bellyaches dont have a serious cause. They can happen for many different reasons, but most are easy to treat.
If stress or anxiety seem to be behind the pain, the doctor may recommend that you talk to a counselor or therapist. They help people figure out whats behind their stress and give advice on how to fix problems or handle them better.
Recommended Reading: How To Freeze Fat On Your Stomach
Why Does Belly Pain Happen
Pain is the bodys way of telling us that somethings going on. Belly pain alerts us to something thats happening inside us that we might not know about otherwise.
Some reasons for belly pain are easy to spot, like when someone gets hit in the gut or eats spoiled macaroni salad. Oher times, it might be hard to figure out.
When you get a pain in your stomach, it might be an actual problem right in your stomach, but not necessarily. Your abdomen is more than your stomach. Its more than your intestines. Its the whole area between your chest and your pelvic bones. With so many organs in the abdomen, different problems can have similar symptoms.