What Else Should I Know
Early diagnosis and treatment can help reduce or even stop uncomfortable GERD symptoms. Untreated GERD can cause permanent damage to the esophagus.
You’ll probably find that one of the simplest ways to make living with GERD easier is to avoid the things that trigger your symptoms. Some people will have to limit certain foods others may have to give them up entirely. It all depends on your symptoms.
It can be hard to give up sodas or favorite foods at first. But after a while, lots of people discover that they feel so much better that they don’t miss the problem foods as much as they thought they would.
Acidic Tummy: Things To Remember
Acid reflux disease is a common condition and is on the rise in the western world, alongside diseases such as obesity and diabetes. This is largely due to the western diet which has poor nutritious quality and sedentary lifestyles. But there are things you can do to reduce the risk of acid reflux disrupting your life. Just remember:
- Acid reflux is not caused by too much stomach acid.
- Acid reflux happens when stomach acid travels back into your oesophagus.
- If it happens more than twice a week, its gastroesophageal disease .
- Extra weight on your waist is linked to acid reflux.
- Your lifestyle can help prevent or encourage acid reflux.
- There could be a link between the condition and gut dysbiosis.
- Ask your doctor about heartburn, its a proper medical problem.
- Surgery is a last resort in many cases of GERD.
- A fibre-rich diet, gentle exercise, quitting smoking, and weight loss can help.
Enjoy Ginger Root In Soups Smoothies Or Tea
People have been using ginger to treat a wide variety of stomach problems for centuries. Ginger naturally soothes the stomach to alleviate stomachaches and nausea this natural remedy can also reduce the production of stomach acid. While it is not clear how ginger could help ease heartburn, one study found that it might actually decrease the stomachs production of acid.
To use this natural remedy, grate fresh ginger root into smoothies or soups. You can also sip on ginger tea before or after meals.
You May Like: How To Cut My Stomach Fat
How To Reduce Acid Reflux Naturally
If you suffer heartburn, you are not alone more than 60 million people in the United States suffer heartburn at least once a month, and 15 million experience heartburn symptoms every day. Heartburn causes a burning pain in the chest, just below the breastbone. The discomfort of heartburn is usually worse after eating, in the evening, or when you bend over or lie down.
The most common cause of heartburn is acid reflux. This condition occurs when stomach acid flows backward, or refluxes, into the tube that connects your mouth to your stomach. The acid burns this tube, known as the esophagus, to cause the symptoms of heartburn.
There are prescription medications and surgical procedures to reduce acid reflux, but doctors typically reserve these treatments for advanced, chronic, or serious cases of acid reflux. Many patients who experience acid reflux prefer to avoid prescription drugs and surgery and opt for natural remedies for acid reflux instead.
How Common Is Acid Reflux
Acid reflux is among the most frequent health complaints of American adults, and may have become even more common in the wake of pandemic-related stress and weight gain. Late last year, pharmacies reported an unprecedented run on antacids by people described as having a pandemic stomach, leaving those with serious ailments that required such products often out of luck.
Even before the pandemic, an online survey from 2019 of more than 71,000 adults found that nearly a third reported that they were affected at least weekly by the discomforting symptoms of acid reflux, in which a small amount of stomach contents reverses course and backs up into the esophagus.
Read Also: Can Uti Cause Stomach Bloating
How To Reduce Stomach Acid Naturally
Stomach acid is vital for your digestion and overall health. However, an increased amount of acid in your stomach can cause much trouble.
Most people tend to pop an antacid to get relief from the stomach acid pain, but one must know that such chemical compounds weaken your stomach secretion over time or can even increase the production of gastric acid, thus, increasing your trouble.
Hence, you must pick natural remedies for how to reduce stomach acid that provide you significant results without hampering your bodys digestion process.
Symptoms Of Acid Reflux
If you have acid reflux, you might experience the following:
- Burning sensation or discomfort in your chest
- Burning sensation or discomfort in the back of your throat
- Unpleasant taste in the back of your throat
- Unpleasant hiccups that seem to carry acid up your throat
- Stay upright for three hours after a meal
- Over-the-counter antacids to neutralize the acid in your stomach
- Prescription antacids
- H2 blockers that reduce the amount of acid your stomach makes
- Proton-pump inhibitors that further reduce the amount of acid your stomach produces and are available both over the counter and by prescription
- Prokinetics that help clear stomach contents and strengthen the LES
- Upper endoscopy, in addition to helping diagnose GERD, can be used to tighten the LES or fix a hiatal hernia
- Fundoplication is a surgical procedure in which the upper part of the stomach is wrapped around the lower part of the esophagus to strengthen the LES
If youre suffering from acid reflux, talk to your doctor about your options or find a doctor near you.
Read Also: How To Remove Fat From Stomach Naturally
Removing Excess Acidity From The Body Is Good For Your Health
While too much acidity in the body can present in a variety of symptoms both mild and severe, its usually mild enough to be ignored by most people.
This is a mistake, as if this problem is not dealt with properly, it can lead to chronic health problems such as gastric reflux disease or inflammation issues later down the road.Luckily these problems can be easily staved off by a healthy lifestyle, which can not only treat these medical issues effectively from home but can often prevent them from occurring in the first place.
Eating a nutritious diet, staying hydrated, and working out are vital for maintaining homeostasis in the body and your good health.
MY FREE DETOX GUIDE
Wanna know the secrets about naturallylosing weight, removing the toxins from your body and getting more energy for your everyday life?
Just leave your email below & get instant access to:
- My 100% safe Natural Detox Guide
- A private 7-day email series to get your body & mind fully cleansed
Lifestyle Changes For Heartburn Symptoms
If acid reflux is bringing you down, Dr. Gabbard recommendsgiving these lifestyle changes a shot:
You May Like: What Causes Stomach Bloating Immediately After Eating
What Is The Treatment For Acid Reflux
There are treatments available specifically for treating acid reflux, what youll need will depend on the severity and whats causing the problem. If you have chronic heartburn, its essential to ask your doctor because acid reflux can cause severe damage to your oesophagus if left untreated.
If the problem is chronic or severe, a doctor can prescribe medications which inhibit the production of gastric juices for acid reflux relief and prevent the damage it causes. The medications often prescribed are proton pump inhibitors or H2 blockers.
FACT Acid reflux medications, even over the counter ones, change stomach acidity, and this can have consequences on your digestive health.
Raise The Head Of Your Bed
Try elevating the head of your bed about 4 to 6 inches off the ground to prevent heartburn and reflux. When the upper body is elevated, gravity makes it less likely for stomach contents to come back up into the esophagus. Its important to note that you must actually raise the bed itself, not just your head. Propping yourself up with extra pillows puts your body into a bent position, which can increase pressure on your abdomen and aggravate heartburn and reflux symptoms.
You can raise your bed by placing 4- to 6-inch wood blocks securely under the two bedposts at the head of your bed. These blocks can also be inserted between your mattress and box spring to elevate your body from the waist up. You may be able to find elevating blocks in medical supply stores and some drugstores.
Sleeping on a special wedge-shaped pillow is another effective approach. A wedge pillow slightly elevates the head, shoulders, and torso to prevent reflux and heartburn. You can use a wedge pillow while sleeping on your side or on your back without causing any tension in the head or neck. Most pillows on the market are elevated between 30 to 45 degrees, or 6 to 8 inches at the top.
Also Check: What Is The Good Bacteria In Your Stomach Called
Foods To Eat For Healthy Levels Of Body Acidity
There are many types of food that you can eat while trying to remove acidity from your body.
Each of these foods acts as an aid to making your body more alkaline so it can balance out any excess acidity and restore homeostasis to the body.
Here are some of the foods you can try. The reason you should eat them is not only because they help remove acidity from the body by adding an alkaline presence in the system, but they also form the basis of a generally healthy diet designed to increase overall nutrition while also reducing inflammation.
- Olive oil
- Limited amounts of dairy
Is It Possible To Treat Acid Reflux Disease With Medications
In many cases, a combination of lifestyle adjustments and over-the-counter drugs is all that is required to control acid reflux disease symptoms.
Antacids like Alka-Seltzer, Maalox, Mylanta, Rolaids, or Riopan can help neutralise stomach acid. However, if you use them too often, they can cause diarrhoea or constipation. It’s preferable to take antacids that have both magnesium and aluminium hydroxide in them. When used together, they may be able to assist alleviate certain gastrointestinal adverse effects.
Fundoplication is a surgical operation that can help reduce acid reflux. It uses the top of your stomach to build an artificial valve. To strengthen the LES, reduce acid reflux, and heal a hiatal hernia, the top section of the stomach is wrapped around it. Surgeons can execute this surgery by an open incision in the abdomen or chest, or through a minor incision in the abdomen with a lighted tube. These operations are only used as a last resort for treating acid reflux illness after medicinal treatment has failed.
Read Also: What Is Good To Clean Your Stomach
Is It Possible To Treat Acid Reflux Disease With Dietary And Lifestyle Changes
Avoiding the meals and beverages that cause symptoms is one of the most effective strategies to cure acid reflux illness. You may alternatively follow the instructions below:
Smaller meals should be eaten more frequently throughout the day, and the sorts of foods you eat should be varied.
Place blocks under your bed’s head to raise it at least 4 to 6 inches.
Before lying down, eat for at least 2 to 3 hours.
For midday naps, try sleeping in a chair.
Wear loose-fitting clothing and belts.
If you’re overweight or obese, start exercising and making dietary modifications to reduce weight.
Also, check with your doctor to see if any medications are causing your heartburn or other acid reflux symptoms.
Dont Drink Too Much Coffee
Studies have found that coffee temporarily relaxes the lower esophageal sphincter, increasing the risk of acid reflux .
Some evidence also points toward caffeine as a possible cause. Similarly to coffee, caffeine relaxes the lower esophageal sphincter, which could cause reflux .
Nevertheless, although several studies suggest that coffee and caffeine may worsen acid reflux for some people, the evidence is not entirely conclusive.
For example, one analysis of observational studies found no significant effects of coffee intake on the self-reported symptoms of GERD.
Yet, when researchers investigated the signs of acid reflux with a small camera, they found coffee consumption was linked to greater acid damage in the esophagus .
Thus, whether coffee intake worsens acid reflux may depend on the individual. If you find coffee gives you heartburn, its best to simply avoid it or limit your intake.
Evidence suggests that coffee may make acid reflux and heartburn worse. If you feel like coffee worsens your symptoms, consider limiting your intake.
You May Like: What’s The Best Mattress For Stomach Sleepers
What Are The Natural Ways To Reduce Acidity
The Indian kitchen comprises various ingredients which can be used for getting relief from the problem of acidity. Some of the best home remedies for acidity are given below :
1) Banana and apple: Bananas contain antacids that naturally fight against acidity and intake of a few slices of apple before bedtime helps in relieving heartburn or reflux
2) Coconut water: while drinking coconut water the bodys ph level turns alkaline and it produces mucus in the stomach. Mucous prevents the stomach from the severe effects of excessive acid production. this fiber-rich water supports digestion and prevents the remittance of acidity
3) Enough sleep. go for at least 7 hours of continuous sleep
4) Cinnamon: Cinnamon has natural antacid properties that provide relief not only from acidity but also from gastritis. Making cinnamon tea with a half teaspoon of cinnamon powder in water and boiling it and drinking it two times a day relieves acidity
5) Basil leaves: Instant relief in problem of acidity can be provided by drinking basil leaves tea or chewing basil leaves due to their soothing properties
6) Apple cider vinegar: It helps in treating acidity as it has an alkalizing effect on the stomach. Mixing one or two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar in water and drinking twice a day will help in taking care of acidity
How To Lower Stomach Acid With Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple Cider Vinegar is one of the most effective home remedies for how to reduce stomach acid and prevent heartburn or acid reflux after a meal. Those suffering from stomach acid burping will also see a significant difference after using this apple cider vinegar remedy.
How to use?
- Add a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water
- To it add freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Consume the drink post meal to prevent heart burn, or you can drink it before your meals to boost digestion
Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar
The enzymes present in apple cider vinegar help in breaking down the food and reduce acidity. As such it readily relieves you from heartburn. Also, please note that apple cider vinegar is acidic thus, it also helps in restoring the stomach acid pH level which is necessary for optimal digestion.
You must use raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar only. Hence, before purchasing the bottle have a look at its label to know whether it has under gone any processing or not.
You May Like: How To Tone Up Your Stomach
If You Suffer From Acid Reflux:
Do not take any ant-acids or acid reflux meds
Take 1 capsule during or directly after the meal and see if you do not have the indigestion. If you continue to have the indigestion, you need more.
At your next meal, take 2 caps and continue this process until you find the amount you need in order to not have indigestion. Continue to use this amount until you notice you have indigestion again. When you do, drop your dosage by 1 cap for your next meal.
If 4 caps took away your indigestion you can stay on that until you noticed that 4 caps now CAUSED indigestion. Then you can drop your dosage to 3 caps until you notice the new amount causes indigestion. When you notice indigestion at 3 caps, drop it to 2 and continue with this until you plateau or are able to completely eliminate the usage of the HCL caps.
Best Foods For Acid Reflux
A diet balanced with vegetables, protein and fruits is best, Dr. Khaitan says. Examples of the best foods for acid reflux include:
- Chicken breast Be sure to remove the fatty skin. Skip fried and instead choose baked, broiled or grilled.
- Lettuce, celery and sweet peppers These mild green veggies are easy on the stomach and wont cause painful gas.
- Brown rice This complex carbohydrate is mild and filling just dont serve it fried.
- Melons Watermelon, cantaloupe and honeydew are all low-acid fruits that are among the best foods for acid reflux.
- Oatmeal Filling, hearty and healthy, this comforting breakfast standard also works for lunch.
- Fennel This low-acid crunchy vegetable has a mild licorice flavor and a natural soothing effect.
- Ginger Steep caffeine-free ginger tea or chew on low-sugar dried ginger for a natural tummy tamer.
Read Also: How To Get Rid Of Wide Stomach