Reach For Decaf Coffee
Caffeine causes your blood vessels to narrow. This can constrict your uterus, making cramps more painful. If you need your coffee fix, switch to decaf during your period. If you rely on caffeine to beat the afternoon slump, eat a snack high in protein or take a quick 10-minute walk to boost your energy.
What Is Abdominal Pain Symptoms Causes Diagnosis Treatment And Prevention
Most people experience abdominal discomfort or pain at some point in their lives. Abdominal pain is usually felt in the part of the trunk below the ribs, above the pelvis and the groin. It can range in intensity from a mild ache to severe, disabling pain.
While abdominal pain isnt normal, it isnt necessarily serious, and it often resolves itself.
How To Manage Stomach Pain
If your stomach pain is not severe or long-lasting, and if you’re not having symptoms like those mentioned above, the pain may go away on its own.
This pain is often caused by minor problems such as constipation, gas, or something you ate. Waiting a few hours, having a bowel movement, or passing gas may help.
Try taking these steps:
- Limit yourself to clear liquids for a few hours.
- If you have vomiting or diarrhea, stick with the BRAT diet. Eat mild foods until you feel better.
- Avoid foods that are hard to digest. Fatty, fried, or spicy foods can cause stomach pain. So can drinks containing alcohol or caffeine.
- Try an over-the-counter antacid or a product to relieve gas.
- Try to have a bowel movement. Eating raw fruit, vegetables, beans, or high-fiber cereal can help.
- Use a hot water bottle or heating pad. Place the pad on your abdomen for a half hour at a time, with a towel under the pad to protect your skin.
Your symptoms may improve within a day or two. If they do not, call your healthcare provider.
You May Like: Why Does My Stomach Hurt And Feel Hard
Natural Treatments And Home Remedies
You can try the following natural home remedies to find relief when you have abdominal pain or gas trouble.
- You can use a heating pad to feel better. This helps with various types of abdominal pain, including cramps in the lower abdomen.
- You can take one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar with a teaspoon of honey and mix it in a cup of water. This can help you feel better from abdominal pain.
- If there are certain trigger foods, you should avoid those foods. For example, avoiding spicy foods has helped many people find relief.
- Peppermint is a great idea for lower abdomen pain. You can make peppermint tea or chew the peppermint leaves.
- You can drink plenty of water daily. This can help you feel better.
- You can use ginger for relief from abdominal pain. You can take ginger supplements or cut it and make tea with ginger for pain relief in the stomach.
- You can follow the BRAT diet, which stands for bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast. This diet can help ease pain symptoms.
- You can start meditation, yoga, and exercising regularly – all of this helps to calm your mind and relieve pain.
Signs And Symptoms That Warrant A Trip To Your Healthcare Provider Or The Er
Stomach pain can have many causes. Most of them aren’t serious, but some are, and you need to be able to recognize the warning signs.
If you rest, avoid certain foods, take medication, or use a heating pad, you may get relief from some kinds of pain. For others, you may need urgent medical care.
This article offers some at-home remedies, but also presents symptoms that mean you should contact your healthcare provider. It also explains why some symptoms point to a true emergency.
Verywell / JR Bee
Are There Foods That Reduce Stomach Pain
Anxiety-related stomach pain is not usually the result of your diet , so there arent necessarily any dietary changes that can help reduce stomach pain.
That said, those with panic attacks are more prone to experiencing more severe stomach discomfort, even when no anxiety is present. In other words, when you have panic attacks, its possible to have stomach pain even without a panic attack.
Also, those with anxiety attacks and severe anxiety are prone to whats known as over-sensitization. That means that they are more likely to notice and feel smaller, normal changes in the body, and these can trigger an anxiety attack. So if your diet does contain foods that cause you gas, stomach discomfort, or mild indigestion, it may be best to avoid them because the slight amount of discomfort could feel worse than it should and may trigger a panic attack.
Thats why healthy eating is important in those that get stomach pain with anxiety. Make sure youre getting:
- Whole-Grain Carbohydrates
Also, if you suffer from stress-induced hyperacidity, then it is recommended that you consume dairy products and non-spicy foods. In moderate amounts, over-the-counter antacids may be needed as well.
In addition, if possible, try to avoid eating until youre too full. Those with severe anxiety sometimes interpret the full feeling as pain, and this could trigger a panic attack and further pain.
Treatment For Abdominal Pain In Adults
Your treatment depends on what is causing your pain, but may include:
- Pain relief â your pain may not go away fully with painkillers, but it should ease.
- Fluids â you may have fluids given into a vein to correct fluid loss and rest your bowel.
- Medicines â for example, you may be given something to stop you vomiting.
- Fasting â your doctor may ask you not to eat or drink anything until the cause of your pain is known.
Don’t Miss: What Can Cause Gassy Stomach
Risk Factors And Prevalence
Gastroparesis is a common complication of diabetes. About 20%50% of people with diabetes will experience diabetic gastroparesis. Gastroparesis is more common in people who have type 1 diabetes and in those who have had type 2 diabetes for more than 10 years.
Having poor control of blood sugar, retinopathy , or neuropathy are risk factors associated with increased rates of diabetic gastroparesis.
Being female, smoking, and having obesity can also raise the risk for gastroparesis.
Foods Natural Remedies And Otc Treatments For Certain Causes Of Abdominal Pain
If you arent sure if you need to seek medical advice for belly pain, contact your doctor or other health care professional before using any home remedies.
Common home remedies and over-the-counter medicines include:
- Eat less food
- Medications such as bismuth subsalicylate , loperamide , famotidine , and other over-the-counter substances
Some of these may help reduce symptoms, but if symptoms persist, seek medical care. Beware of “cures” advertised as a single treatment that can cure all causes of this problem because no such remedy or cure exists.
You May Like: What Can I Take To Help My Stomach Digest Food
Yogurt To Relieve Stomach Pain
Plain, unsweetened yogurt containing probiotics, or active cultures, may help with stomach pains as it promotes proper digestion. These work to increase the good bacteria needed to relieve indigestion, bloating, and painful discomfort in the gut.
Consuming plain, unsweetened yogurt throughout the day may reduce stomach pain episodes.
Use the following recipe to create a drinkable form of this remedy.
- Combine two tablespoons of plain unsweetened yogurt, 1 cup of water and a pinch of salt.
- Add three teaspoons of fresh coriander juice.
- Mix in one-half teaspoon of cardamom powder.
- Mix well and drink one hour after each meal.
Lime Or Lemon Juice Baking Soda And Water
Some studies suggest that mixing lime or lemon juice in water with a pinch of baking soda can help relieve heartburn and indigestion by reducing stomach acidity.
Pros and cons
While this home remedy may help with an upset stomach, it may not taste pleasant. Additionally, consuming too much baking soda
Basil leaves also contain high linoleic acid levels, which have anti-inflammatory properties.
Pros and cons
Basil is usually available to purchase in grocery stores, gardening stores, and online.
However, those in food deserts may have to rely on online stores if they find it difficult to source fresh basil.
Read Also: How Can You Make Your Stomach Flat
How To Manage Abdominal And Back Pain After Ercp
After endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography , a patient develops upper abdominal and back pain. What steps should be considered?
CT scan or upper GI series can usually pinpoint an injury to the duodenum after ERCP or polypectomy. Repeat EGD can provide the option of endoscopic repair, but is less reliable for localization, especially with a small injury. The main focus should be on the location of the leakis it the biliopancreatic system or the duodenum? Bile duct injury may be treated by endoscopic stent placement with percutaneous drainage of any biloma or exploration if the injury is complex. Pancreatitis is not uncommon and should be treated expectantly. A contained, small leak in the posterior duodenum may be treated with bowel rest and gastric decompression however, laparotomy is indicated in the presence of ongoing pain or signs of diffuse peritonitis.
What Does Abdominal Pain Location Tell You
Location is an important clue to your abdominal pain, though its not the only factor. It may indicate which organs are involved. For example, pain in the upper right quadrant may indicate a problem with your liver or gallbladder.
However, your healthcare provider will also want to know more about what your pain feels like, how often you feel it, and how severe it is. This will give them additional clues about what kind of condition you may have.
Also Check: What Probiotics Survive Stomach Acid
Ways To Manage Chronic Pain
Chronic pain is complex, and it can take a person some time to find the best pain relief methods that work for them. There are many options to try, such as hot and cold therapy, yoga, or drug treatments.
Chronic pain may develop after an injury or due to a medical issue. Healthcare professionals define pain as chronic if it lasts longer than 3 months , or beyond the normal healing time for the underlying condition or injury.
Chronic pain can affect every part of a persons life, from work and social life to sleep and mental health.
This article explores what pain management is, along with methods to ease pain and their effectiveness.
in the United States had chronic pain in 2016, while 8% had high-impact chronic pain.
The 2017 estimates that pain and diseases related to pain are the leading cause of disability worldwide, and the amount of people living with chronic pain is increasing.
Chronic pain has associations with numerous physical and mental health conditions, including:
Pain management refers to techniques to reduce and control the amount of pain a person experiences over the long term.
There are many ways to manage pain, and not all of them include taking medication.
Hot and cold therapy
Hot and cold therapy is a common and safe technique to reduce pain.
The benefits of massage include:
Drink Prune Juice To Relieve Stomach Pain
Stomach pain from constipation tends to radiate from the lower part of your abdomen and sometimes features a periodic shifting or gurgling feeling accompanied by a temporary spike in pain.
When constipation is your cause, consider a glass of prune juice or another type of laxative. If effective, you can expect to experience sudden relief.
Recommended Reading: Where Does Your Stomach Hurt During Early Pregnancy
When To See A Healthcare Provider
Some kinds of stomach pain need immediate attention. With others, you can call or visit your healthcare provider. It can be hard to know what you should do. Listen to your body and trust your instincts if you’re not sure.
If you have any of these symptoms along with stomach pain, call your healthcare provider within one to two days:
- Fever for three days or longer
- Loss of appetite
- Pain that gets worse or doesn’t get better within one or two days
You should also call your healthcare provider if you have stomach pain while being treated for cancer.
Using Apple Cider Vinegar As A Stomachache Cure
Another paradoxical-sounding remedy is using acidic drinks to relieve pain from gastric reflux. Since gastric reflux can result in stomach acid leaking out into places its not wanted, your stomachs acidity can end up lower than is optimal for digesting food.
Drinking apple cider vinegar can help improve the levels and ease an upset stomach. This assumes that youre able to, well, stomach the drink in the first place. While apple cider vinegar does its work best if taken raw, you may find mixing it with water, a teaspoon of honey, and sipping slowly to be the more tolerable option.
- Add one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to one cup of warm water.
- Mix in one tablespoon of honey.
- Drink this remedy every three hours until pain is gone.
Recommended Reading: How To Burn Upper Stomach Fat
Common Causes Of Abdominal Pain
Stomach pain causes can vary widely. Isolating the cause will largely depend on what other symptoms you’re experiencing alongside your abdominal pain. Some of the most common, non-serious causes of abdominal pain include:
- constipation – fewer than three bowel movements in a week, dry/hard/lumpy stools, difficulty passing stools, stomach cramps, bloating, nausea, feeling that you haven’t completely emptied your bowels after using the bathroom
- food poisoning – symptoms include cramps, nausea/vomiting, loss of appetite, fever/chills
- viral gastroenteritis -symptoms include watery diarrhea, cramps, nausea and/or vomiting, muscle aches, and a low-grade fever
bile or acid reflux – when your stomach contents rise part way back up your esophagus, causing heartburn, nausea, vomiting, upper abdomen pain, and other symptoms
How Long Does It Take
According to the American Addiction Centers, initial detox takes about a week. However, a person may find that their symptoms continue for longer. In most cases, a person can expect the following timeline:
- About 8 hours after the first drink, the initial stage of withdrawal symptoms begins.
- After about 2472 hours, symptoms generally peak.
- After about 57 days, symptoms may decrease in intensity.
- After the first week, some side effects, particularly the psychological ones, may continue.
Recommended Reading: How To Get Rid Of Big Stomach Without Exercising
Best Way To Manage Gastritis
There have been multiple research and studies conducted as to the prevalence of gastritis around the world. These studies opine that while there has been a decline in the cases of gastritis the chronic form of this condition still remains to be a serious issue and has resulted in taking lives of many people around the world. The killing potency of chronic gastritis is second to only peptic ulcer and gastric cancer when it comes to gastrointestinal conditions.
It has also been estimated that around 50% of people around the world may have gastritis. The primary cause of gastritis is still believed to be H. Pylori infection incurred as a child. The aggressiveness of the inflammation that is seen in gastritis causes gradual destruction of the stomach mucosa leading to life threatening complications.
In cases of atrophic gastritis, the condition causes a completely acid free stomach which is a precursor for gastric cancer. Additionally, atrophic form of gastritis also results in the body not being able to absorb vitamins like B12, nutrients like iron and calcium, food, and even medications.
Ginger Tea As A Stomach Pain Remedy
The anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties of ginger neutralize excess acids that cause stomach pain.
Drinking ginger tea may help to stimulate proper digestion by promoting the production of digestive juices while fighting harmful free radicals that cause disease.
Drink two to three cups of ginger tea daily.
- Cut one medium-sized ginger root into thin slices.
- Add the ginger to one cup of boiling water and boil for three minutes.
- Lower heat and simmer for five minutes.
- Strain and add honey for flavor.
You May Like: How To Relieve Distended Stomach
What Are Some Other Home Remedies For Stomach Pain
There are a number of ideas on how to help stomach pain at home. The best things you can do are drink water and other clear fluids , avoid rich and fatty foods, and rest. You may also check your local drug store for over-the-counter medication to alleviate your symptoms. If home remedies don’t help your symptoms, set up an appointment to speak with a Babylon healthcare provider.
How Do You Relieve Abdominal Pain
Stomach pain has a wide variety of causes and treatments. Some conditions, such as gallstones or appendicitis, may require surgery. Others, such as ulcers or infections, may be eased with medicine. And sometimes you may just have to get through a bout of stomach flu or a kidney stone until it passes.
If you dont know whats causing your abdominal pain, its important to find out, especially if it doesnt go away on its own. Remember that even mild cases can be serious. However, if you have a pretty good idea that your stomachache is related to digestion, you can begin by treating yourself with:
- Bowel rest. Stop eating, or only eat easy-to-digest foods like crackers or bananas.
- Hydration. Drink plenty of water or a hydration formula.
- Heat therapy. Try a warm water bottle or a soak in the bath.
- Home remedies. Try licorice for gas, ginger for indigestion, or peppermint to help relax your intestinal muscles.