How To Get Rid Of Gas: 8 Natural Treatments
Flatulence and gas are normal bodily functions, and most healthy adults pass gas somewhere between 13 and 21 times each day. Flatulence is a healthy part of the digestive process, but it can cause discomfort and pain as gas builds up in the intestines. Expelling the gas normally relieves the pain however, if the pain persists or worsens, it may be a sign of a more serious condition and you should consult with your physician as soon as possible.
In addition to pain and flatulence, gas can cause bloating. Bloating is a temporary condition caused when air or gas becomes stuck in the abdomen. The result can be visible as the stomach, depending on the level of air and gas build up, can protrude significantly. In the vast majority of cases, gas pains and bloating are nothing to worry about, however, if you experience any of the following symptoms along with gas, seek medical attention as quickly as possible:
- Hives or a skin rash that develops quickly
- Tight throat or trouble breathing which may signal an allergic reaction
- Persistent or recurrent nausea or vomiting
- Trouble concentrating
If youve recently changed your diet by adding high-fiber foods or cruciferous vegetables, you can expect some gas and gas pain. In addition, foods known as FODMAPs as well as foods you have a sensitivity to like lactose, can also cause gas pain. And, of course, if you overindulge in a high-fat or a spicy meal, you may experience more gas than normal.
Avoid Or Limit Certain Foods And Drinks
If you notice a particular food or drink tends to get you gassy, one of the easiest and most effective solutions is to simply steer clear, according to the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases .
Different foods can be gas triggers for different people. But some of the most common culprits include:
- High-fiber foods: This is especially true if you increase how much you’re eating very quickly. Bran, cauliflower, cabbage, broccoli and beans are some of the most notorious offenders, according to the American College of Gastroenterology .
- Sugar-free snacks, gum and candies: Many contain sugar alcohols like sorbitol, which can make you gassy, the ACG says. That’s because sorbitol is broken down very slowly by your body meaning it stays in your system longer than most other foods and can cause bloating from gas-producing bacteria in your intestines.
- Carbonated drinks: According to Johns Hopkins Medicine, the bubbles in seltzer or carbonated water can bubble up in your digestive tract. The ACG says carbonated beverages are a primary risk factor for belching, bloating and gas because they create excess gastric air.
- Fried or fatty foods: Heavy, greasy food is harder for your body to digest, leading to indigestion and gas, according to the NIDDK.
- Dairy products: If you’re lactose intolerant, milk, ice cream and some cheeses could make you bloated and gassy, per the ACG.
Why Does A Burning Sensation In Stomach Occur
Burning sensation in stomach often occurs due to indigestion that may lead to problems such as Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease .
Burning in stomach happens due to the reverse motion of stomach acid into your food pipeline known as the esophagus.
According to the latest research regarding GERD on the JAMA Network in 2021, it was found that lifestyle changes including these 5 factors can help cure Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease :
- Prudent diet
- Daily 30 minute physical activity
- Limiting the consumption of coffee, soda and tea to 2 cups per day
- Normal weight
The food and fluids produce stomach acid we consume regularly. A valve called lower Esophageal Sphincter directs the food in the stomach.
Acid reflux occurs when this valve is unable to restrict the food from re-entering the esophagus, causing a burning sensation followed by other symptoms. The weakening of this sphincter might be a result of overeating, stress, obesity, pregnancy, etc.
You might also face other associative problems like trouble in swallowing your food, chest pain, chronic cough, digestive issues, belching, vomiting, etc.
Consumption of certain unhealthy dietary supplements can worsen the burning in stomach and leave you with an unpleasant and sick feeling.
If you dont go to a gastroenterologist on time, this unusual stomach burning gradually tends to extend from your stomach to your chest making you feel terrible. Therefore, it is important to soothe these burning sensations before it gets worse.
Recommended Reading: What Would Cause Stomach Cramps
Additional Tips To Get Rid Of Trapped Gas
Some other tips for doing away with trapped gas can be:
- Exercise or physical activity can help let out trapped gas. Light walking after meals, regular jogging, performing yoga poses can help expel gas.
- It is best to let go of the gas rather than holding it in. Passing stool can help in setting free the gas stuck in the intestines.
- Herbal teas made from anise and peppermint can boost digestion and diminish gas pain.
- Placing a heating pad on the affected area may prove helpful in releasing some of the confined gas.
What Causes Bloating On The Keto Diet
People following a ketogenic diet often complain of gas retention and a stuffy stomach. This is because the keto diet includes eating a lot of vegetables, of which many are loaded with FODMAPs that are difficult to digest.
FODMAPs stands for fermentable oligosaccharides, disaccharides, monosaccharides, and polyols, which are a group of carbohydrates notorious for giving belly bloats and flatulence.
Don’t Miss: What Causes Stomach Ulcers In Humans
What About Baking Soda
Baking soda is thought to be a DIY heartburn remedy albeit one with potentially harmful consequences if you consume too much too quickly, according to 2013 findings in the Journal of Medical Toxicology. But there’s no evidence that it can help get rid of gas pain or bloating.
“It has the ability to quickly neutralize acid and raise the pH in your stomach. That does not, however, prevent gas and can cause some problems with medication absorption and increase fluid retention due to its salt content,” Dr. Scott says.
In other words? Steer clear of this supposed natural remedy for gas and acidity.
How To Soar To Self
One of the herbs shown to have carminative effects is ginger, the subject of a review published in April 2015 in the journal European Review for Medical and Pharmacological Studies. It found that ginger helps speed digestion, which is important because if your stomach empties faster, gases can move more quickly into your small intestine to relieve discomfort and bloating.
Additionally, a study published in April 2015 in the Journal of Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine found that in people with functional dyspepsia, a condition of chronic or recurring pain in your upper abdomen, ginger combined with artichoke extract stimulated gastric emptying.
Other herbs and spices that may provide gas relief include:
A combination of caraway and peppermint oils is the active ingredient in FDgard, a nonprescription formulation designed to help manage functional dyspepsia some doctors recommend it for gas and bloating.
Lemond notes that you should always get approval from your doctor before taking an herbal supplement. She suggests trying to gain the benefit of carminatives from the food you eat rather than by taking supplements, which she says should be taken with caution. “Some people think of herbal supplements as natural or straight from the earth, so they may be taken at will, but a lot of them have pharmaceutical effects and could interact with medication.”
Read Also: How Do I Shave My Chest And Stomach
For Example You Wake Up At Night With Intense Stomach Pain
Feeling gassy, bloated and uncomfortable? For example, you wake up at night with intense stomach pain. This condition can produce several uncomfortable symptoms such as indigestion, nausea, vomiting and a feeling of fullness. Here are a few things you can do to combat it. The best remedy for reli. Ginger and peppermint may do more than add flavor to your food. For some people, it’s a sign of gastroesophageal reflux disease . Jennifer lopez and alex rodriguez announce breakup in today exclusive sections show more follow today we all have. High cholesterol levels, however, can increase your chance of developing heart disease or having a stroke. Stomach pain is an extremely common probl. Inflammation in the lining of your stomach is known as gastritis. Bloat is a buildup of gas in the abdomen, caused by digestion or swallowed air. Way too often, illness appears out of nowhere:
How To Reduce Gas In Stomach Home Remedies. Cholesterol is a naturally occurring substance in your body that is necessary for the continual growth of healthy cells. Learn more about other causes and treatment options here. Here’re 7 effective home remedies to help you reduce gas in stomach and feel better. Inflammation in the lining of your stomach is known as gastritis. Just because you won’t see lady mary and the dowager discussing gas and bloating over tea at downton doesn’t mean the topic is taboo.
How To Prevent Gas And Bloating
Some ways to prevent gas and bloating can include the following tips:
- Eat slowly and concentrate on chewing your food while eating to aid proper digestion. Eating while moving or too quickly may cause you to gulp surplus air along with food resulting in gas-related complaints.
- Refrain from chewing gum as it can increase the chances of swallowing air which may lead to gas pains. Also, gum may contain artificial sweeteners which can trigger bloating and gas.
- Sip water from a glass instead of using a straw or drinking straight from a bottle, as it can become a ground for taking in more air.
- In case you smoke, try and quit the habit. Smoking can cause extra air to go in the digestive tract giving rise to gas and bloating.
- Avoid the consumption of carbonated drinks like sodas and sparkling water as they can produce gas in the stomach.
- Certain foods can prompt trapped gas. Find your triggers and discard the problematic foods from your diet.
Recommended Reading: How Much Is The Stomach Sleeve
Implement Changes In Your Diet And Eating Habits
You have to keep a personal record of the foods that trigger increased burping, flatulence, and bloating and then cut them out of your diet.
- As a general rule of thumb, people who are prone to excessive bloating and flatulence are advised to limit their intake of the following gas-producing foods:
- Foods that are rich in fat, carbs, sugar, and salt
- Carbonated beverages
- Vegetables such as beans, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, and onions
- Legumes such as peas, peanuts, and soybean
- Whole-wheat or bran products
Here Are The Five Best Home Remedies For Gas That Work Without Fail:
There are several foods that you can eat or activities that you can do to get rid of the bloated stomach. We tell you some amazing home remedies for gas that will help you in the longer run. If you don’t have any of the following products in your home already, you can easily get your hands on them at your local shops.
You May Like: What Causes Upset Stomach And Nausea
Drink Prune Juice To Relieve Stomach Pain
Stomach pain from constipation tends to radiate from the lower part of your abdomen and sometimes features a periodic shifting or gurgling feeling accompanied by a temporary spike in pain.
When constipation is your cause, consider a glass of prune juice or another type of laxative. If effective, you can expect to experience sudden relief.
Mucilage For Stomach Protection
Mucilage is a slimy, slick material that is present in some plants. The mucilaginous material expands when exposed to water and has a bland flavour. They produce a protective coating over the inflamed lining or painful surface of the stomach when swallowed, which not only shields it from additional acid injury but also helps it recover. Following is an example:
You May Like: What Can Cause Stomach And Back Pain
How To Get Rid Of Gas
1. Ajwain or Carom SeedsCarom seeds contain a compound called thymol which secretes gastric juices that help in digestion, explains Bangalore-based Nutritionist Dr. Anju Sood. You can have about half a teaspoon of carom seeds with water once a day to feel better.
Home remedies for gas: Carom seeds thymol which secretes gastric juices that help in digestion
2. Jeera WaterDrinking jeera water is one of the best home remedies for gastric or gas problem. Jeera or cumin contains essential oils that stimulate the salivary glands which helps in better digestion of food and prevents the formation of excess gas, says Dr. Sood. Take a tablespoon of cumin seeds and boil it in two cups of water for 10-15 minutes. Let it cool down, strain and drink the water after having your meals.
Home remedies for gas: Drinking jeera water is a great natural remedy to curb gas
3. Asafoetida Dr. Sood also suggests that you could mix about half a teaspoon of heeng with luke warm water and drink it to curb gas problem. Heeng acts as an anti-flatulent that prevents the growth of the gut bacteria that may be producing excess gas in your stomach. According to Ayurveda, heeng helps in balancing the vata dosha of the body. In his book, Ayurvedic Home Remedies, Dr. Vasant Lad explains that the colon is the main seat of the vata dosha the dosha that is derived from air. When vata increases in the colon, gases may build up.
Home remedies for gas: Another simple remedy is lime juice with baking bowder
Chamomile Tea To Cure Stomach Pain
Chamomile tea is known to work as an anti-inflammatory along the digestive tract.
If your stomach pain is caused by gastritis or indigestion, a cup of chamomile can offer relief. It does this by relaxing muscles along the stomach and the esophagus, easing the contractions that push food along, and lessens any cramps or spasms you are experiencing.
- Place one teaspoon of dried chamomile in one cup of boiled water.
- Cover and allow to steep for 15 minutes.
- Strain tea and add lemon or honey for taste.
- Drink up to three cups daily
Don’t Miss: How To Burn Fat Off Your Stomach
Signs And Symptoms Of Gas
Commons symptoms of gas include:
- Knotted feeling in the abdomen
- Sharp cramps
- Sodas and other carbonated beverages
- Fiber supplements containing psyllium husk
- Artificial sweeteners and sugar alcohols including sorbitol, mannitol, xylitol, aspartame and others
In addition to diet, there are a number of medical conditions that can cause gas pains. These include:
Homeopathic Remedies For Gas
Other than these simple and quick home remedies, severe gas pain can also be relieved by some the following homeopathic remedies:
- Pulsatilla : It is used when indigestion is at its worst and is caused by consuming fatty and rich foods.
- Nux Vomica : It is used when one suffers with stomach pain and the urge to vomit. It works best for those, who are overindulged in alcohol, stimulants and food.
- Natrum phosphoricum : It is used when a person suffers from indigestion due to consumption of a lot of dairy products or sugar.
- Natrum carbonicum : It is used for healing digestive problems.
- Colocynthis : It is used for healing cramping pain in the stomach.
- Bryonia : A remedy for heavy stomach.
- Arsenicum album : It is used when stomach and oesophagus are troubled with restless pain.
- Carbo vegetabilis : It is used when digestion is too slow and incomplete.
Also Check: What To Do When Your Head And Stomach Hurts
Making Turmeric Cumin Fennel Seeds Coriander And Asafoetida A Part Of The Regular Diet Could Help In Improving The Overall Digestive Function
For reasons as varied as overfeeding in case of infants, overeating fried food, allergies to certain foods or lactose intolerance, your child may complain of a stomach ache. Also, this time of the year is called Pittaprakopakala in Ayurveda, which means children are more prone to digestive illnesses during this period due to seasonal changes and imbalanced Pitta or fire element. Easily available ingredients like cumin, turmeric, rock salt or asafoetida in your kitchen cabinet can help manage the symptoms of stomach more acute when there is accumulation of toxins , build immunity and also strengthen digestion. Gastric problems are in the body, due to irregular eating habits or stress, which is ubiquitous in the lives of children today.
Reports suggest as many as 24 per cent of children in India could be overweight. This is majorly due to increase in consumption of food high in salt, sugar and fat, which is more easily available to children. This has logically led to increased instances of stomach ache, diarrhoea, gas, constipation, cramps, acid reflux and other gastric issues among them. Ayurveda as a system of knowledge offers a plethora of home remedies, for gastric disorders as well.
- Fried, junk food
- Sensitivity or allergy to certain foods
- Lactose intolerance
- Gassy vegetables
- Worm infestation
- Irritable Bowel Disease
- Consumption of contaminated water, eating roadside food
- Pitta imbalance