How Long Does It Take For Welts From Hives To Fade
They can be as small as a pinprick or as big as a dinner plate. The medical name for hives is urticaria. Sometimes, the welts from hives join together to form larger areas called plaques. Hives tend to fade within 24 hours, although they may be noticeable for several days or longer.
Why Do I Have A Lot Of Swelling In My Stomach
More serious causes of abdominal swelling include intestinal blockage, fluid in the abdomen, or cancer. Obesity, pregnancy, and local skin infections may also cause abdominal swelling symptoms. In many cases, abdominal swelling can be treated at home with lifestyle changes and over-the-counter remedies.
A More Serious Condition Such As Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Irritable bowel syndrome, or IBS, is a common condition that causes abdominal pain with bloating, diarrhea or constipation. The cause of IBS is unknown, but it may be brought on by certain triggers, including:
- Bacterial infections
- Food sensitivity
- Stressful events
If you think you may have IBS, reach out to your doctor for an evaluation. Many times, lifestyle modifications and medicines can help ease symptoms. You may also try some at-home techniques to relieve your bloating.
Recommended Reading: Does Lung Cancer Cause Stomach Pain
It Could Be Constipation
While youre spending a lot of time at home, you may not be moving as much as you usually do. You may also be eating different foods. This can lead to constipation. You may be constipated if you experience:
- Fewer bowel movements than normal for you
- Stool that is lumpy or looks like pebbles
- Difficulty passing stool or a feeling that you still need to go after youre finished
Fortunately, you can make a number of at-home changes to help relieve your constipation. These include:
Questions To Ask Your Doctor
- Do I need a test to diagnose;lactose;intolerance?
- Why do certain foods cause my bloating when they never used to?
- What can I do if I have;diabetesand my medicine or artificial sweeteners cause bloating?
- Could my bloating be a sign of something more serious?
- What kind of tests will I need?
- What kind of over-the-counter medicine can I try?
Don’t Miss: Does Stomach Cancer Cause Pain
Causes Of Serious Bloating You Need To Know About And What To Do About Them
1. Ovarian cancer;isnt the most likely, but it is one of the most lethal. Although ovarian cancer is only the fifth most common cancer in women, it causes more deaths than any other reproductive cancer;;mostly in women over 50. Risk factors include never having children or having them late in life, obesity, a family history of ovarian cancer, certain genetic abnormalities, and long-term treatment with hormone replacement therapy. Persistent bloating, feeling full faster, and pelvic pain are typical symptoms.
What to do if youre concerned about ovarian cancer:
A thorough pelvic exam or transvaginal ultrasound is the best way to diagnose ovarian cancer. The blood test CA-125 isnt a reliable screening test, but it can be helpful for following the course of treatment after diagnosis.
2. Uterine cancer.;In addition to bloating, uterine cancer can cause abnormal vaginal bleeding, a watery or blood-tinged vaginal discharge, pelvic pain, or pain with intercourse or urination. But its important to know that sometimes bloating or a change in bowel habits may be the only initial signs of uterine cancer. Important risk factors include taking tamoxifen; taking estrogen supplements that dont also contain progesterone; radiation therapy; a family history of uterine cancer; or a family history of a form of inherited colon cancer called Lynch syndrome.
What to do if youre concerned about uterine cancer:
What to do if youre concerned about colon cancer:
What Causes Swelling On The Left Side Of The Abdomen
Your swollen abdomen could be caused by other, less common symptoms. For example, gallstones are hard masses that can build up in your gallbladder. Pancreatitis is an inflammation of the pancreas. Weight gain may also cause swelling of the abdomen, as can a blockage in your intestine. An ovarian cyst may also lead to a swollen abdomen.
Read Also: How To Get Fat Removed From Stomach
Physical Examination Maneuvers That Are Likely To Be Useful In Diagnosing The Cause Of This Problem
In patients with abdominal swelling, expose the abdomen and check for a fluid thrill and shifting dullness to help confirm the presence of free fluid. Once you have determined that there is ascites, systematically evaluate the patient for stigmata of liver disease including spider angiomata, gynecomastia and asterixis.
Examine for signs of heart failure including an elevated jugular venous distention , pitting edema and renal failure by looking for signs of anemia, bruising and hyperventilation . Also look for signs associated with pancreatitis including Cullens or Grey-Turners sign and malignancy . Signs associated with alcoholism or alcohol withdrawal can be helpful also.
In patients with suspected chronic constipation and abdominal swelling, the rectal examination is helpful. Perform a digital rectal exam and assess the rectal tone. In patients with dyssynergia of the rectum, deep palpation of the abdominal wall muscles while checking the rectal tone will not produce the normal rectal sphincter relaxation expected. Instead, inappropriate contraction or diminished relaxation will result. The presence of anal fissures and external hemorrhoids can implicate voluntary constipation in order to avoid the pain of defecation as a possible cause.
Iv What’s The Evidence
Lasser, RB, Bond, JH, Levitt, MD. The role of intestinal gas in functional abdominal pain. N Engl J Med. vol. 293. 1975. pp. 524-526.
Runyon, BA. Management of adult patients with ascites caused by cirrhosis. Hepatology. vol. 27. 1998. pp. 264-272.
Eisen, GM, Baron, TH, Dominitz, JA. Acute colonic pseudo-obstruction. Gastrointest Endosc. vol. 56. 2002. pp. 789-792.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
You May Like: How To Shrink Your Stomach Fast
Bloating And Ovarian Cancer
Even though ovarian cancer is certainly not the most common cause of abdominal bloatingand is down on the listit is an important cause of abdominal bloating. Among people who are diagnosed with ovarian cancer, it’s been found that this bloating is often attributed to something else, such as middle-age spread or winter weight gain.
While ovarian cancer isn’t the most common cause of abdominal swelling and bloating, these symptoms are one of the more common symptoms of ovarian cancer. It is also a symptom that is most ignored. The bloating may be so bad that one can’t button their pants, or even have to go up a size.
Symptoms of ovarian cancer may also include pelvic pain, pain with intercourse, and frequent urination, but it is also considered the silent killer.;In the early stages, the only symptom may be a feeling of being full quickly when eatingin other words bloatingso it is important to make sure you get your symptoms evaluated thoroughly.
It’s also important to note that sometimes people have two conditions at the same time.;For example, someone could have both irritable bowel syndrome and ovarian cancer, so trust your instinct.;If your healthcare provider does not seem as concerned as you are, get a second opinion.
Ovarian cancer is not a common cancer in women, but it’s the fifth leading cause of cancer deaths in womenmost likely due to the fact that the diagnosis is missed until it has progressed to the later stages of the disease.
Heartburn And Acid Reflux
Painful burning sensations in the chest that are caused by gastroesophageal reflux is known as heartburn. Reflux is the backflow of gastric acid juices from the stomach into the oesophagus. Heartburn has different triggers, including certain foods, medications, obesity, and stress. These triggers are different for each individual. Gastroesophageal reflux disease or GERD is a chronic condition that can lead to more serious complications like esophageal cancer. Treatment options are available to treat the symptoms and the condition, but there is no cure for the disease. Symptoms include burping, abdominal and stomach bloating, along with pain and discomfort. Heavy meals, lying down or bending over after eating should be avoided to help prevent reflux from occurring. The stomach bloating experienced with reflux is intense and will remain until the food is digested all the way.
You May Like: How To Melt Away Fat From Stomach
How Are Peptic Ulcers Diagnosed
Your healthcare provider will look at your past health and give you a physical exam. You may also have some tests.
Imaging tests used to diagnose ulcers include:
- Upper GI series or barium swallow. This test looks at the organs of the top part of your digestive system. It checks your food pipe , stomach, and the first part of the small intestine . You will swallow a metallic fluid called barium. Barium coats the organs so that they can be seen on an X-ray.;
- Upper endoscopy or EGD . This test looks at the lining of your esophagus, stomach, and duodenum. It uses a thin lighted tube called an endoscope. The tube has a camera at one end. The tube is put into your mouth and throat. Then it goes into your esophagus, stomach, and duodenum. Your health care provider can see the inside of these organs. A small tissue sample can be taken. This can be checked for H. pylori.
You may also have the following lab tests to see if you have an H. pylori infection:
When Should I Be Worried About Welts
If you have a rash and notice any of the following symptoms, see a board-certified dermatologist or go to the emergency room immediately: The rash is all over your body. A rash that covers the body could indicate something concerning, such as an infection or allergic reaction. You have a fever with the rash.
Don’t Miss: How To Get Gas Out Of Your Stomach
Swollen Colon Right Side
The right side of the colon is the ascending colon, which starts in the lower quadrant and runs up to the right upper quadrant. It then bends at the hepatic flexure to follow through to the transverse colon. Therefore, the right side of the abdomen is occupied by the entire ascending colon and the first part of the transverse colon. Your right side of the colon could get swollen because of any of the following reasons;
- Growth of tumors- there are several types of growths that can cause swelling in your colon. It could be as a result of conditions like colon polyps or colon cancer. These two have been discussed below in this article.
- Trauma- you may sustain injuries that may cause swelling in your colon. Such trauma can be caused by sharp-force or blunt-force trauma. This can even cause rupture, which can allow entry of bacteria already in the body. It can also be as a result of surgery to the colon or the neighboring organs, causing pain and swelling as the wound heals.
- Infections- the colon is highly vulnerable to viral, bacterial, or parasitic infections. Any of these infections could be the reason for your swollen colon.
How Is Bloating Diagnosed
Your doctor can generally;diagnose;the cause of your bloating through a physical exam in the office. They will ask you questions about your symptoms. They will want to know if your bloating is occasional or if it occurs all the time.
Temporary bloating is usually not serious. If it happens all the time, your doctor may order other tests. These could include an imaging test to look inside your abdomen. This could be an X-ray or;CT;scan.
Also Check: Can Apple Cider Vinegar Hurt Your Stomach
Hallmarks Of Abdominal Swelling
Abdominal swelling is a bothersome, uncomfortable symptom that can leave feeling more full than you are and that your pants are suddenly two sizes too small. It can be due to common gastrointestinal disorders like heartburn, constipation, or irritable bowel syndrome or disease, and these conditions typically bring discomfort and pain. More serious causes of abdominal swelling include intestinal blockage, fluid in the abdomen, or cancer. Obesity, pregnancy, and local skin infections may also cause abdominal swelling symptoms. In many cases, abdominal swelling can be treated at home with lifestyle changes and over-the-counter remedies. However, the more serious causes of abdominal swelling require evaluation and treatment by a physician.
Talk To A Doctor If You Think A Gastrointestinal Disorder Is Causing Your Bloating And Distension
If your bloating doesnt follow a neat pattern, you cant pinpoint a factor behind it like hormonal changes or lactose intolerance, and you experience additional bothersome symptoms, you could have a gastrointestinal condition like ulcerative colitis or Crohns disease. These both fall under the umbrella of inflammatory bowel disease , which describes conditions that cause inflammation of various parts of the bowel. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention explains that ulcerative colitis affects consistent stretches of the large intestine and rectum, while Crohns disease can affect any part of the digestive system, with inflammation usually occurring in patches.
Blood and/or pus in your stools
Unexplained weight loss
People with Crohns or ulcerative colitis can go for long periods of time with no symptoms. But these are serious, chronic conditions that require treatment. Left untreated, ulcerative colitis can lead to rectal bleeding, joint inflammation, and inflammation in deep tissue layers of the large intestine, the NIDDK says, while Crohns can lead to ulcers, intestinal obstructions, fissures, and abscesses.
Recommended Reading: Should You Take Probiotics On An Empty Stomach
Warning Signs And Symptoms
Weight loss;is one of the main warning signs for serious bloating. If you find yourself losing more than a few pounds without changing your diet or starting a new exercise regimen, that should be cause for concern, especially if its 10 percent or more of your body weight. Weight loss can be caused by tumors that press on the intestines, making you feel full after just a small amount of food, or from substances secreted by tumors that suppress your appetite.
Ascites;is an abnormal buildup of fluid in the abdomen or pelvis. It can cause bloating, weight gain, and a rapidly expanding waistline. Ascites is usually caused by liver disease, but cancer is the culprit about 10 percent of the time. A large amount of fluid can make you look and feel like youre several months pregnant. The combination of bloating and jaundice, which turns the eyes and skin yellow, can be a sign of cancer thats spread to the liver, although it can also occur with more benign forms of liver disease like hepatitis.
Blood in your stool, vaginal bleeding;in between periods, or postmenopausal vaginal bleeding can all be associated with serious bloating. Fortunately, the most common causes of these symptoms arent the most serious, but bleeding should always be evaluated because it can be a sign of cancer, particularly colon or uterine cancer.
Coeliac Disease And Bloating
Coeliac disease;is a common digestive condition where your intestine cannot absorb gluten found in wheat, barley and rye.
If you have Coeliac disease, eating foods containing gluten can also trigger diarrhoea, abdominal pain and fatigue.
See your GP if you suspect you may have Coeliac disease.
There is no cure for Coeliac disease but, once the condition has been diagnosed, switching to a gluten-free diet should help.
Find out more about Coeliac disease.
Read Also: What To Do For Stomach Acid Pain
Red Flags For Swollen Stomach And Back Pain
Bloating causes a distended stomach when the abdomen fills up with gas or air. This discomforting sensation can also cause pain that may be felt in the back.; Together, a swollen stomach and back pain can make you feel not only distressed but perhaps a bit self-conscious as well.
The two symptoms are tied together because the back provides support and stabilizes the body. However, abdominal bloating causes pressure and pain in the area which can spread to the back. The pain may vary in severity and type from sensations of dull throbbing to sharp and pinching pain.
When the two symptoms are experienced separately they are fairly common and not usually a cause for concern. But in instances where a bloating stomach pain is also accompanied by back pain, they could be indicative of a more serious condition. These should not be taken lightly as they can include the following:
How Are Peptic Ulcers Treated
Treatment will depend on the type of ulcer you have. Your healthcare provider will create a care plan for you based on what is causing your ulcer.
Treatment can include making lifestyle changes, taking medicines, or in some cases having surgery.
Lifestyle changes may include:
- Not eating certain foods. Avoid any foods that make your symptoms worse.
- Quitting smoking. Smoking can keep your ulcer from healing. It is also linked to ulcers coming back after treatment.
- Limiting alcohol and caffeine.;They can make your symptoms worse.
- Not using NSAIDs . These include aspirin and ibuprofen.
Medicines to treat ulcers may include:
- Antibiotics. These bacteria-fighting medicines are used to kill the H. pylori bacteria. Often a mix of antibiotics and other medicines is used to cure the ulcer and get rid of the infection.
- H2-blockers .;These reduce the amount of acid your stomach makes by blocking the hormone histamine. Histamine helps to make acid.
- Proton pump inhibitors or PPIs. These lower stomach acid levels and protect the lining of your stomach and duodenum.
- Mucosal protective agents.;These medicines protect the stomach’s mucus lining from acid damage so that it can heal.
- Antacids. These quickly weaken or neutralize stomach acid to ease your symptoms.
In most cases, medicines can heal ulcers quickly. Once the H. pylori bacteria is removed, most ulcers do not come back.
Don’t Miss: What Would Cause Stomach Cramps