Causes Of Serious Bloating You Need To Know About And What To Do About Them
1. Ovarian cancer isnt the most likely, but it is one of the most lethal. Although ovarian cancer is only the fifth most common cancer in women, it causes more deaths than any other reproductive cancer mostly in women over 50. Risk factors include never having children or having them late in life, obesity, a family history of ovarian cancer, certain genetic abnormalities, and long-term treatment with hormone replacement therapy. Persistent bloating, feeling full faster, and pelvic pain are typical symptoms.
What to do if youre concerned about ovarian cancer:
A thorough pelvic exam or transvaginal ultrasound is the best way to diagnose ovarian cancer. The blood test CA-125 isnt a reliable screening test, but it can be helpful for following the course of treatment after diagnosis.
2. Uterine cancer. In addition to bloating, uterine cancer can cause abnormal vaginal bleeding, a watery or blood-tinged vaginal discharge, pelvic pain, or pain with intercourse or urination. But its important to know that sometimes bloating or a change in bowel habits may be the only initial signs of uterine cancer. Important risk factors include taking tamoxifen taking estrogen supplements that dont also contain progesterone radiation therapy a family history of uterine cancer or a family history of a form of inherited colon cancer called Lynch syndrome.
What to do if youre concerned about uterine cancer:
What to do if youre concerned about colon cancer:
What If Its Something Serious
Generally, simultaneous occurrences of stomach and back pain are relatively non-threatening and can be naturally remediated at home. However, there are some causes for concern, especially if the pain recurs often or simply does not subside. Some additional symptoms might indicate something more serious is going on.
Bloating, constipation, and spinal pain can indicate the presence of autoimmune disorders, such as Hashimotos thyroiditis, Celiacs Disease, and Sjogrens Syndrome. Those with different types of neuropathy sometimes report having these symptoms.
On a somewhat more rare occasion, spinal pain that leads into stomach pain can be an indicator of certain types of cancer. Women who have been diagnosed with ovarian cancer often report feeling back and stomach pain as well as experiencing increasingly worse constipation prior to their cancer diagnoses. What Can Be Done to Ease the Pain?
Spinal and abdominal pain can be annoying, if not downright challenging to deal with. There are a few steps you can take to reduce pain in stomach and back areas. One of the most vital steps you can take is to stay hydrated. Drinking plenty of water will get the built-up fiber moving through your digestive system. This is especially important for people with disorders like Sjogrens who experience chronic dryness throughout their bodies.
Right Side Of The Abdomen
The upper right side of your abdomen contains the gallbladder, liver, and first part of the small intestine.
The gallbladder is a small sac that stores bile made by the liver. The duodenum, known as the first portion of the small intestine, is where food empties from the stomach into the small intestine.
The center right side of the abdomen contains the ascending colon and the transverse colon. Food then passes from the ascending colon to the transverse colon.
The cecum of the large intestine with the appendix and the small intestine are in the lower right side of the abdomen. The cecum is the first part of the large intestine that the end of the small intestine connects to.
Some experts believe the appendix plays a role in the immune system. Others think it has no purpose.
If your doctor performs a physical exam and then suspects a medical condition is causing your abdominal bloating or pain, theyll run various medical tests.
The types of tests they order will depend on your medical history and physical exam results.
Some common tests for abdominal problems include the following:
Read Also: How To Inject Enbrel Sureclick In Stomach
Fix The Root Of The Problem
Muscle imbalances happen when certain muscles work too hard and others dont work hard enough.
Your muscles are designed to complement, not compete with one another. One overly weak or dominant muscle can literally pull everything off track.
I recommend learning more about my targeted Muscle Balance Therapy program.
Conditions That Cause Lower Back Pain And Constipation
It is also possible that you do not have IBS, but have constipation, which is also linked to lower back pain. Both constipation and lower back pain are fairly common medical issues, and are often nothing to be concerned about, but if they occur suddenly at the same time, it is advisable to see a doctor, as it might be a sign of a more serious issue. For example, the following are examples of conditions that cause both constipation and lower back pain to occur at the same time:
- Bowel obstruction
A bowel obstruction is a gastrointestinal condition in which digested material cannot pass normally or as it should through the bowel. A bowel obstruction can be caused by fibrous tissue that compresses the gut, which can develop many years after abdominal surgery. With a bowel obstruction, the blockage in your colon or rectum can create a dull pain that extends from the abdomen to the lower back.
Endometriosis is a condition in which the tissue that normally lines the uterus grows outside the uterus. In individuals with endometriosis, the tissues that should be lining the uterus can be found on the ovaries, fallopian tubes, or the intestines. Bowel symptoms are very common with endometriosis, as is back pain. This is because endometrial cells can stick to the lower back and the front of the pelvic cavities.
- Liver disorders
- Urinary tract infections
Read Also: How To Lose Weight And Tone Stomach
What To Do About Hepatitis
If you have hepatitis A or B, in most cases youll get better with a doctors care and supportive treatment without specific anti-viral treatments.
Hepatitis C and other chronic forms will probably affect your life more profoundly, but you can do a lot to manage the condition and keep it under control.
If someone in your home has hepatitis, it is also important to take appropriate precautions to avoid spreading the disease.
For hepatitis A, handwashing is extremely important. For hepatitis B and C, care should be taken to avoid contact with the blood of the infected individual, even the microscopic amounts that hide in toothbrushes and on razors, so never share these items.
Treatment can suppress or even eradicate hepatitis C. Older treatments for hepatitis C are combination antiviral therapy with pegylated interferon and ribavirin.
The treatment came with difficult side effects, and was effective for only about 40 to 80 percent of patients, depending on the type of hepatitis C they carried.
Newer drugs approved by the FDA in 2013 and 2014 are more effective, curing the viral infection for 90 percent of patients or more. New antiviral medications to treat hepatitis C include simeprevir and sofosbuvir , and combination therapies include Harvoni and Viekira Pak.
Signs And Symptoms Of Hepatitis
If you contract hepatitis, it may present in a way that is similar to a nasty bout of a flu, says Dr. Gulati. Common symptoms of hepatitis include:
- Joint pains
Other warning signs to look out for include dark urine, light, clay-colored stools, abdominal discomfort, and jaundice, the yellowing of the whites of the eyes or the skin due to an accumulation of bilirubin.
If you have hepatitis, a simple blood test will show elevated liver enzymes. Additional blood tests can help identify which virus, if any, is to blame.
You May Like: What To Eat With Upset Stomach And Nausea
Myth: Stress Does Not Affect Back Pain
Truth: Stress is an emotional experience that can cause behavioral and psychological alterations in the body â elevating the perception of lower back pain. Depression and anxiety are thought to be the most common stress-related conditions associated with lower back pain.10
Research suggests that certain life stressors such as lack of social support and demanding jobs are associated with musculoskeletal back pain.11 For treating back pain associated with stress, individual psychological management is recommended as the primary treatment, followed by medical treatment for the back problem.10
Gastrointestinal Causes Of Abdominal Pain
Abdominal pain may arise from problems in the digestive tract including:
- : You may experience early signs of appendicitis in the center of the abdomen, but the telltale sign is lower right abdominal pain and fever. Appendicitis is often a medical emergency because an inflamed and infected appendix can rupture and spread the infection.
- Bowel blockage or obstruction: Marked by stomach pain, and swelling, constipation, vomiting, bloating and , a bowel obstruction can lead to intestinal tearing and infection if not treated promptly.
- : You may experience abdominal bloating and pain, diarrhea, weight loss, and . There is no cure for celiac diseasea chronic, immune-mediated condition that causes your body to overreact to gluten and damages the lining of the small intestinebut eliminating gluten from your diet is a must.
- : An infection or inflammation of any part of your colon. Colitis is less severe than a form of inflammatory bowel syndromebecause UC is a chronic, lifelong condition. Antibiotics can clear bacterial colitis, and viral colitis will typically clear on its own.
- : An uncommon, but possible cause of abdominal pain. Symptoms may also include fatigue, , a change in bowel habits, bloating, and gas.
- Constipation: A very common condition in which you may not have a bowel movement as frequently as is normal for you, or it may be difficult to pass stool. For mild constipation, home treatments include drinking prune juice, a lot of water, and a taking stool softener.
Recommended Reading: How To Flatten Your Lower Stomach
Causes Of Back Pain And Bloating
There are a few very common causes that are likely causing your back pain and bloating.
Those causes include:
Your hormones are your body’s chemical messengers.
As hormone levels swing, they can affect the way your body behaves.
It’s a pretty common misunderstanding that only women are susceptible to these hormone shifts, but both men and women are vulnerable to them.
Many women experience back pain or cramping with bloating during or right before their period.
In this situation, they are generally nothing to worry about.
If you are undergoing hormone replacement therapy you may also experience bloating and back pain, and if so, you should discuss the symptoms with your doctor.
This is one cause the men reading this won’t have to worry about.
But, for the women, pregnancy can cause bloating, constipation, and gas, especially late in the pregnancy when the uterus begins compressing the organs.
The additional weight at their midsection can also put a strain on the back and hips.
If you experience any symptoms while you’re pregnant, you should discuss them with your doctor right away, because anything you experience could affect your baby.
Thankfully most causes of bloating and back pain in pregnancy clear up soon after the delivery.
Most of the time gas is no more than a minor annoyance.
Sometimes, though, gas can produce intense pain that makes your entire abdomen feel full and tender.
Tips To Prevent Or Decrease Bowel Problems
- Make sure you eat regularly: take at least three meals spread across the day and no more than three to four snacks in-between.
- Take time to eat and chew well.
- Ensure that your food contains sufficient fibre .
- Drink 1.5 to 2 litres of water per day.
- Go to the toilet on time, or even allocate a set time to go to the toilet undisturbed.
- Do not use laxatives without the permission of a doctor.
- Take sufficient and frequent exercise.
You May Like: What’s The Best Way To Lose Your Stomach
Myth: Constipation Does Not Cause Back Pain
Truth: While constipation does not directly affect the lower back tissues, this condition can cause specific disruptions in the body, which may cause or increase back pain.8
- Constipation may alter the balance of the gut microbiome , which may result in increased pain perception and anxiety.8
- Constipation is associated with insufficient physical activity and excessive sedentary behavior, which can cause chronic lower back pain.8
Women are 2 to 3 times more likely to get constipation compared to men.9
Alternative And Complementary Therapies
Some women with ovarian cancer turn to alternative therapies to ease their symptoms and side effects.
Common therapies include:
Scientists continue to look for ways to reduce a womans risk of developing ovarian cancer.
For now, they have identified two protective factors:
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding Women who become pregnant before age 26 and carry to term are at lower risk, with each subsequent full-term pregnancy diminishing the risk further. Breastfeeding has an effect too, perhaps because it prevents ovulation. The risk for cell mutation, which can lead to cancer, is greater the more you ovulate.
- Birth control Women who have used oral contraceptives are at lower risk. So are women whove had a tubal ligation or used an intrauterine device for a short time. Women whove had a hysterectomy also see their ovarian cancer risk drop by a third.
Read Also: What To Do When Child Stomach Hurts
Have A Concern Or Comment On Abdominal Pain Spreading To The Back
Are you suffering with abdominal pain that radiates to the back? Or do you have a past history with “stomach pain” that spreads to your back? If so, please share your experiences with our online community. Please feel free to leave comments here too if you read postings by others and you want to make a contribution. All postings are read by our abdominal pain team and we shall respond to some queries directly on this page.
What Causes Pain In Lower Left Side Of Stomach And Back
1. Sickle Cell Crisis This a painful condition in which the red blood cells, which are generally round in shape become sickle-shaped due to abnormal hemoglobin . This process is called SICKLING.Due to this shape of red blood cells, they tend to occlude smaller blood vessels and rupture. Sharp, dull and throbbing type of pain in the abdomen, back, knees, arms, legs and chest is a common presentation of sickle cell crisis.
2. Pyelonephritis This is an inflammatory condition of the kidneys usually due to bacteria. Mechanical obstruction of urine due to stones, strictures in the urethra and benign enlargement of the prostate. Use of urinary catheter can also favour the occurrence of pyelonephritis.
When the left kidney is affected, the signs and symptoms include fever with chills, severe left side flank region pain and tenderness at back in the region of kidney affected. Urinary complaints include burning or pain during urination and increased the frequency of urination.
3. Renal Calculus Presence of stones within the kidneys is called Renal Calculi. Low water intake, high calcium intake, recurrent urinary tract infections, obesity, high intake of sugars and animal protein and certain medications favour kidney stone formation. Stones up to 5mm in size can be passed through urine.
These kidney stones frequently pass into the ureter . Ureteric stones are capable of causing severe agonizing pain which can disable the person.
Also Check: What Foods Cause Stomach Ulcers
Try The Worlds #1 Enzyme Supplement Free
With a high-quality proteolytic enzyme supplement, you can restore your youthful enzyme levels. In a way, you are turning back the clock on your heart health.
And unlike many vitamins and drugs , you literally cannot get too many enzymes. You can and absolutely should take them every day.
When you consider how powerful they are for reversing damage in your cardiovascular system, youll realize its not just a good idea to find a high-quality proteolytic enzyme supplement for daily use
And you should know that proteolytic enzymes do a lot more than protect your heart.
Most of the chronic conditions we experience as we age from arthritis to cancer to diabetes are caused by inflammation.
Because of their unmatched anti-inflammatory properties, proteolytic enzymes can be used to treat dozens of conditions.
And heres something else you should know
Unlike many miracle supplements, proteolytic enzymes are NOT all hype. Science shows they actually work. And theyve been a standard treatment for many conditions in Europe and Asia for decades.
Now, you dont need a prescription for enzymes, but youll want to make sure you choose the best, most effective supplement on the market.
Here at the Healthy Back Institute®, weve taken the guesswork out of the process for you. Weve done the research, and weve developed the worlds most potent proteolytic enzyme supplement available anywhere.
Its called Heal-n-Soothe®
And today, you can get a FREE bottle.
Final Thoughts And Key Takeaways
There are many possible explanations for your back and stomach pain, some of which require a doctors attention. Others can be fixed by reducing inflammation, avoiding irritants, and being more informed about your treatment choices.
Key takeaway #1: If you have been using NSAIDs to treat a strained or aching lower back, they may be the cause of your problem.
Key takeaway #2: NSAIDs can cause additional problems, like increasing your risk of having a heart attack or stroke.
Key takeaway #3: There are natural treatments available that can help ease the pain and get to the root of your problem.
Read Also: How Can You Lose Fat In Your Stomach
Sudden Stomach Cramps With Diarrhoea
If your stomach cramps have started recently and you also have diarrhoea, the cause may be a tummy bug . This means you have a viral or bacterial infection of the stomach and bowel. It should get better without treatment after a few days.
Gastroenteritis may be caused by:
- coming into close contact with someone who’s infected
- eating contaminated food
If you have repeated bouts of stomach cramps and diarrhoea, you may have a long-term condition, such as irritable bowel syndrome .