Problems With The Spleen
Your spleen is just behind your stomach, under and behind the lower ribs on your left. Its main functions are to filter your blood, create new blood cells and store platelets. It is also a key part of your bodys immune system. It may cause pain:
- When it becomes enlarged, which can happen in certain blood-related cancers such as leukaemias and lymphomas. This tends to be a vague ache which may gradually get worse. It can also become enlarged during infections such as glandular fever, in which case a very mild pain would be associated with tiredness and repeated bouts of a sore throat and sometimes high temperature .
- If it bursts following an injury, such as in a road traffic accident. This causes a sudden severe pain shortly after trauma to the tummy (abdomen.
- If it is damaged as part of a crisis in sickle cell disease.
Common Causes Of Left
The common causes for pains on the left side of the abdominal area are kidney stones, a kidney infection and diverticulitis.
The common symptoms for kidney stones and an infection are:
- pain in the left and/or right abdomen area, the back or the genitals
- fever, shivers and chills
- loss of appetite
- feeling sick
If a kidney stone is too large to pass on its own, then a hospital admission becomes necessary. The avoidance of kidney stones should be discussed with a doctor.
Diverticulitis is an infection that can occur following diverticular disease that affects the large intestine. People with this disease rarely have symptoms until an infection is present. The symptoms caused by the infection are:
- constant, severe abdominal pain
What Is Referred Pain
Pain felt in one area of the body does not always represent where the problem is because the pain may be referred there from another area. For example, pain produced by a heart attack may feel as if it is coming from the arm because sensory information from the heart and the arm converge on the same nerve pathways in the spinal cord.
You May Like: How To Melt Stomach Fat Fast
Left Side Stomach Pain
Symptoms Of Abdominal Pain In Adults
The type of pain can vary greatly. When abdominal pain occurs, it can:
- be sharp, dull, stabbing, cramp-like, twisting or fit many other descriptions
- be brief, come and go in waves, or it can be constant
- make you throw up
- make you want to stay still or make you so restless that you pace around trying to find just the right position
- vary from a minor problem to one needing urgent surgery.
Also Check: How To Lose Your Baby Fat Stomach
Treatment For Abdominal Pain In Adults
Your treatment depends on what is causing your pain, but may include:
- Pain relief your pain may not go away fully with painkillers, but it should ease.
- Fluids you may have fluids given into a vein to correct fluid loss and rest your bowel.
- Medicines for example, you may be given something to stop you vomiting.
- Fasting your doctor may ask you not to eat or drink anything until the cause of your pain is known.
Whats Causing Pain In The Left Side Of My Abdomen
Left-side abdominal pain is an ache or discomfort thats felt towards the left-hand side of your tummy.
Its a common problem, but can be difficult to diagnose as there are several important organs in this area, including the spleen, stomach and left kidney, and a range of digestive issues could also be to blame.
Also Check: Why Do I Get Cramps In My Stomach
Pain Coming From The Pancreas
Your pancreas is in the middle of the upper part of your tummy. Chemicals made by cells in the pancreas pass into the guts to help digest food. The hormones insulin and glucagon are also made in the pancreas and help to regulate the blood sugar level. It can become inflamed in the conditions acute pancreatitis and chronic pancreatitis, causing upper tummy pain, usually with feeling sick and/or being sick . The pain is usually in the centre of the upper part of your tummy, but can be felt on the left. In acute pancreatitis there is usually also a fever and you may feel very unwell in yourself.
Cancers of the pancreas can also cause upper tummy pain.
What Causes Pain In Lower Left Side Of Stomach And Back
1. Sickle Cell Crisis This a painful condition in which the red blood cells, which are generally round in shape become sickle-shaped due to abnormal hemoglobin . This process is called SICKLING.Due to this shape of red blood cells, they tend to occlude smaller blood vessels and rupture. Sharp, dull and throbbing type of pain in the abdomen, back, knees, arms, legs and chest is a common presentation of sickle cell crisis.
2. Pyelonephritis This is an inflammatory condition of the kidneys usually due to bacteria. Mechanical obstruction of urine due to stones, strictures in the urethra and benign enlargement of the prostate. Use of urinary catheter can also favour the occurrence of pyelonephritis.
When the left kidney is affected, the signs and symptoms include fever with chills, severe left side flank region pain and tenderness at back in the region of kidney affected. Urinary complaints include burning or pain during urination and increased the frequency of urination.
3. Renal Calculus Presence of stones within the kidneys is called Renal Calculi. Low water intake, high calcium intake, recurrent urinary tract infections, obesity, high intake of sugars and animal protein and certain medications favour kidney stone formation. Stones up to 5mm in size can be passed through urine.
These kidney stones frequently pass into the ureter . Ureteric stones are capable of causing severe agonizing pain which can disable the person.
Also Check: What Causes Severe Stomach Pain And Diarrhea
Causes Of Acute Abdominal Pain
Pain can arise from many causes, including infection, inflammation, ulcers, perforation or rupture of organs, muscle contractions that are uncoordinated or blocked by an obstruction, and blockage of blood flow to organs.
Immediately life-threatening disorders, which require rapid diagnosis and surgery, include
) are frequently done to look for signs of a urinary tract infection or a kidney stone. Blood tests are often done but rarely identify a specific cause . An ultrasound Ultrasonography Ultrasonography uses high-frequency sound waves to produce images of internal organs and other tissues. A device called a transducer converts electrical current into sound waves… read more is helpful if doctors suspect a gallbladder or gynecologic disorder. An endoscopic evaluation, using cameras to look inside the gastrointestinal tract, may be needed.
There Can Be Many Different Causes For Left Side Pain On Abdomen Be It Ibs Food Poisoning Or Kidney Stones See A Doctor To Get Proper Treatment
If you draw an imaginary line on the center of the abdomen, you can describe left side abdominal pain as the pain occurs on the left side of the abdomen. Left side abdominal pain can be caused both by organs and structures on the left section of the abdomen as well as those located away from the abdomen. Females are more likely to suffer from pain on left side of abdomen simply because they have more organs in this area. Keep reading to learn more information about it if you suffer from this pain often or occasionally.
Read Also: Can Stomach Cancer Be Treated
Pain On Left Side: Causes Treatments And When To See A Doctor
Any kind of acute or chronic pain in the left side of your chest or the left side of the abdomen can be a cause for concern. The left side of your upper body contains many vital organs like your heart, left lung, spleen, pancreas, part of your liver and stomach. Infection, disease, or blocked arteries can cause pain ranging from mild discomfort to sharp, stabbing pains in the left side of your body.
Pain on the left side of your body isnt always cardiac-related or connected with an organ. Sometimes, stress or anxiety attacks can be a cause of the pain that may feel like you are having a heart attack. But you should never ignore any kind of pain in your chest or abdomen as it can be a sign of a serious condition.
In this comprehensive article on pain in the left side of your body, you will find out the various reasons why you could have aches, pains, or discomfort in the left side of your body. This will help you know what is causing the left-side pain and if it is serious enough to see a doctor. You will also find many helpful home remedies to relieve some of the causes of pains on the left side of your body.
Polyps Or Diverticular Disease
Diverticular disease can affect the lower left side too, or can cause more generalised pain. Polyps are small wart-like lumps in the bowel, and diverticular disease is a condition where the bowel forms tiny pockets that become inflamed and painful.
Diverticulitis and polyps can both cause diarrhoea and sometimes bleeding in the bowel. If you notice , its important to speak to a doctor straight away.
Read Also: How Do You Lose Fat Around Your Stomach
Constipation From Not Eating Enough Fiber
Constipation is defined as having stools which are large, hard, and difficult to pass. This leaves the person feeling bloated and uncomfortable. Many things can cause constipation, and a common one is lack of fiber in the diet.
To determine whether lack of fiber is causing the constipation, all other causes are first ruled out:
- Not drinking enough water, sometimes to the point of dehydration.
- Lack of exercise, which helps increase blood circulation and therefore motility of the bowel.
- A very low or no-fat diet.
- A need for probiotics, which replenish the good bacteria in the gut.
- Medications, or certain illnesses, which have a constipating effect.
- Constantly ignoring the feeling of needing to move the bowels, and delaying going to the toilet.
If fiber is needed, the best sources are fresh vegetables fresh or dried fruits and whole wheat and brown rice, because those include the fiber-rich bran. Over-the-counter fiber tablets can be tried, though laxatives should only be used if recommended by a medical provider.
Top Symptoms: constipation, constipation, pain in the lower left abdomen, pain when passing stools, feeling of needing to constantly pass stool
Symptoms that always occur with constipation from not eating enough fiber: constipation, constipation
Symptoms that never occur with constipation from not eating enough fiber: vomiting
Common Causes Of Abdominal Pain On The Left Side Of Your Body
It can be easier to self-diagnose left side pain when you know what organs are on the left side of your body. The organs located in your left abdomen include your colon, left kidney, spleen, stomach, and pancreas. If youre not struggling with gas or indigestion, pain on this side is typically a sign that something is off in one of these organs or organ systems.
If your pain in the lower left abdomen continues, look for symptoms of the following conditions:
Read Also: How To Lose Flabby Stomach Fat
Severe Acute Pain In The Lower Right Side Of The Abdomen
Sudden pain in the lower part of the abdomen may be a sign of appendicitis. It may also be accompanied by a fever. Pain often begins around the belly button area and becomes worse with time. Vomiting or constipation or diarrhea along with the pain also indicate it’s time to go to the emergency room.
Appendicitis mostly affects kids and teens between the ages of 5 and 20. While there are many digestive health issues that can cause stomach pain in kids, it’s important to talk to your child’s doctor immediately if you suspect appendicitis – especially if the pain comes on suddenly over several hours or is persistent. Appendicitis often requires surgery. If left untreated, a ruptured appendix can be deadly.
Colon Cancer And Rectal Cancer
- Colon cancer and rectal cancer are two of the most common cancers in the UK.
- Although colon cancer can affect any part of the large bowel , it commonly affects the last part which is on the left-hand side. Rectal cancer affects the very last part of the large bowel just before it ends at the anus.
- There is usually a change in how often you need to open your bowels and you may notice that you have lost weight, without trying.
- You may get a feeling of not fully emptying your bottom after opening your bowels.
Read Also: When Can Infants Sleep On Their Stomach
Support For People Living With Chronic Pancreatitis
Any long-term health condition, particularly one that causes recurring episodes of pain or constant pain, can affect your emotional and psychological health.
See a GP if youre experiencing psychological and emotional difficulties. There are medicines available that can help with stress, anxiety and depression.
Talking to other people with the same condition can often reduce feelings of isolation and stress.
The charity Guts UK, may be able to put you in touch with a local support group.
Page last reviewed: 31 October 2018 Next review due: 31 October 2021
Gas In The Digestive Tract
A buildup of gas in the colon can lead to pain on the left side of the body. The pain can also occur on the right side or on both sides.
Under normal circumstances, people pass gas through burping or passing it through the rectum. This is a routine process for the body. In fact, most people produce about 14 pints of gas per day and pass gas about 1423 times per day.
Sometimes, gas accumulates in the digestive tract from swallowing excess air while eating or drinking. It can also accumulate due to the breakdown of undigested foods by intestinal bacteria.
Foods that can cause excess gas include carbonated beverages, sugar substitutes, and fiber supplements.
Other symptoms include:
The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons recommend similar treatments for sprains and strains. These are:
A person may also need to perform gentle exercises and take OTC medications such as acetaminophen, ibuprofen, or naproxen.
A ruptured ovarian cyst causes pain that typically occurs on one side of the body.
An ovarian cyst is a fluid-filled sac that can develop inside, or on, an ovary. The Office on Womens Health note that these are common and usually harmless.
Ovarian cysts can rupture. In some cases, they do not cause any symptoms, or they may cause mild symptoms. In other cases, the ruptured cyst can cause severe symptoms, such as sudden and severe pain in the lower belly. Bleeding can also occur.
Don’t Miss: How To Smooth Stomach Skin
Trapped Inguinal Or Femoral Hernia
- A left inguinal or femoral hernia happens when a piece of bowel or other tissue from inside the tummy pushes through a weakness in the muscles of the tummy wall near the left groin.
- It can happen on either side.
- If whatever has pushed through gets stuck and cant slide back inside the tummy, it is trapped .
- If it happens on the left-hand side, there will be a tender swelling in the left groin.
- It causes pain in the groin and in the tummy, usually on the side of the hernia but it may cause pain over the whole tummy.
- It is common to be sick .
Inflammation In The Pancreas
Pancreas secrete enzymes which helps in digestion of the food. Inflammation in the pancreas is also known as pancreatitis. Gall bladder stones can cause inflammation in both the bile duct and the pancreas. Alcoholism, autoimmune diseases etc also cause pancreatitis. In this condition pancreas secrete enzymes less than the normal amount. This in turn causes symptoms of indigestion, stomach pain etc.
Read Also: How To Massage Stomach Fat Away
Organs On The Left Side Of The Abdomen
On the left side of your abdomen you can find some of the most important internal organs in your body:
Left lung The lower part of your left lung is located behind your heart and both of your lungs play a vital function in the respiratory system.
Spleen, pancreas, and part of the liver Although your liver is located under the right rib cage, part of it is located on the left side just under your heart. Below your heart under the left part of your rib cage are your liver, spleen, and pancreas. These organs, along with your liver, are an important part of your digestive system and help to break down food to extract nutrients and filter out waste products.
Left kidney Your left kidney is located towards your back and, just like the liver, helps to filter blood and keep you healthy.
Part of the stomach, intestines, and colon Part of your stomach, intestines, and colon are also located on the left side of your abdomen. The last part of your colon is located in the lower left side of the abdomen. If you have any digestive problems, the digestive-related pain might be felt on the left side.
Womens reproductive system Women also have part of their reproductive system on the left side of their body: part of the womb, left fallopian tube and the left ovary.
Organs on the Left Side of the Abdomen