Different Types Of Stomach Pain And How To Treat Them
Having a tummy ache is one of the most common human medical experiences. Whether from eating too much junk food as a kid or acquiring some kind of virus, we all know what its like to suddenly be racked with stomach problems. Its also pretty universally understood that not all stomach pain is the same. By considering the type and location and severity of the pain, and by noting any accompanying symptoms, its possible to narrow down the possible causes. Below are 8 different kinds of stomach pain that range from relatively common to relatively rare:
What Causes Abdominal Pain In Children
Common causes of abdominal pain in children include:
- trapped wind
- lower urinary tract problems, such as cystitis
Most abdominal pain is mild and will go away without treatment after a few days. However, your child should see a doctor if the pain is severe or doesnt go away, especially when they also have other symptoms, such as a fever. In this case, you should ensure they are monitored closely and they may need further medical assessment.
Other Causes Of Abdominal Pain
Abdominal pain can also be caused by problems in body systems other than the digestive tract including:
- Abdominal trauma: Damage of the organs or blood vessels within the abdomen can result in , even if there is no sign of trauma from the outside. Always seek professional medical care after an accident or injury from blunt force or an explosion to rule out internal damage.
- Abdominal tumor or mass: Ranging from a simple cyst to cancer, an causing pain and other symptoms requires prompt medical attention to diagnose and treat the problem.
- : A condition in which the uterine lining grows abnormally outside the uterus. Symptoms include lower back and abdominal pain during and after your period, cramps, , and heavy bleeding. Medication can help relieve endometriosis symptoms surgery is necessary in some cases.
- Hernia: A painful is one sign of an . A hernia causing problems in the lower abdomen is usually an . A painful hernia may involve surgical repair.
- : Symptoms vary widely depending on the cause is usually severe and felt in the side of the abdomen and moves into the lower abdomen and groin. Treatment also depends on the cause.
- Medication side effect: Examples include anti-cancer drugs, , and sodium phosphate.
- Ovarian cyst: Although they dont often cause symptoms, ovarian cysts symptoms include lower abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting, pain with bowel movements, and possible changes in menstruation. See a gynecologist for signs of ovarian cysts.
Read Also: What Medicine To Take For Stomach Virus
Lower Abdominal Pain In Teenage Boys
Apart from the above causes, teenage boys can experience abdominal pain due to the following condition .
- Testicular torsion: It occurs most frequently in teenage boys as an emergency condition that requires immediate medical attention. Testicular torsion occurs due to the twisting of the spermatic cord, thus blocking the supply of blood to the testicle. The symptoms may include severe pain in the scrotum, abdominal pain, enlarged testicles, and swollen, red and tender scrotum .
Gut Feeling: How To Know If Stomach Pain Is Serious
Abdominal pain is the single leading reason for emergency room visits in the U.S. according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, accounting for more than 12 million of the nearly 139 million annual ER visits. Most people call it stomach pain, but it’s not always a stomach problem. Your abdomen holds many other organs, too, including your intestines , pancreas, liver, gallbladder, kidneys, spleen and appendix.
So its not surprising that, just as with chest pain or a headache, it can be difficult to tell whats really going on in there when your tummy’s not feeling well. Add in other vague symptoms such as nausea and vomiting and you could have the stomach flu, food poisoning, gallstones, kidney stones or any number of other conditions.
Here are some ways to tell what the source of your pain is and when you should seek medical care.
Don’t Miss: Can Stomach Cancer Cause Chest Pain
What Are The Treatment Procedures Of Constant Stomach Pain
In the first place once the patient with constant stomach pain visits the doctor, he is going to diagnose the underlying problem of such form of pain. There may be a set of diagnostic tests which may be recommended. Such tests are done to rule out problems of infection of the internal organs. The medical treatment is followed for constant stomach pain once the cause is known.
- In case of the problems appendicitis or infection in the gall bladder, surgery has to be done as a form of treatment. The doctor may appoint a date for surgery and medications may be given.
- In case of milder causes of the pain like constipation or food poisoning, the doctor may give IV fluids to the patient.
- Painkillers may be prescribed to the patient along with other medications to clear out the toxins from the body.
- Patient may be given antacid to cure the acid reflux so occurred.
Home Remedies To Ease Mild Pain In Middle Of The Stomach
There are home remedies that you can try to help ease middle stomach pain. However, if you are in severe pain in the mid-abdominal area, it is best to see a doctor, as severe abdominal pain is a sign of a condition that needs medical attention as soon as possible.
For mild upper-middle abdominal pain and connecting areas, the following tips may be able to help you out.
You May Like: Is Stage 3 Stomach Cancer Curable
Gastrointestinal Causes Of Abdominal Pain
Abdominal pain may arise from problems in the digestive tract including:
- : You may experience early signs of appendicitis in the center of the abdomen, but the telltale sign is lower right abdominal pain and fever. Appendicitis is often a medical emergency because an inflamed and infected appendix can rupture and spread the infection.
- Bowel blockage or obstruction: Marked by stomach pain, and swelling, constipation, , bloating and nausea, a bowel obstruction can lead to intestinal tearing and infection if not treated promptly.
- Celiac disease: You may experience abdominal bloating and pain, , weight loss, and fatigue. There is no cure for celiac diseasea chronic, immune-mediated condition that causes your body to overreact to gluten and damages the lining of the small intestinebut eliminating gluten from your diet is a must.
- Colitis: An infection or inflammation of any part of your colon. Colitis is less severe than a form of inflammatory bowel syndromebecause UC is a chronic, lifelong condition. Antibiotics can clear bacterial colitis, and viral colitis will typically clear on its own.
- : An uncommon, but possible cause of abdominal pain. Symptoms may also include fatigue, blood in stool, a change in bowel habits, bloating, and gas.
- Gallstones: Upper-right abdominal pain is a classic sign of , especially after eating a meal. Medication may dissolve small gallstones, but is the most common treatment.
When To Call The Doctor About Abdominal Pain
If your abdominal pain is serious, doesn’t go away, or keeps coming back, talk to your doctor. Call 911 right away if your belly hurts because you had a recent injury there or if you have any chest pain.
You should also contact your doctor as soon as you can if you have symptoms along with the pain, such as:
- Can’t keep food down for more than 2 days
- Signs you’re getting dehydrated, including not urinating frequently, dark-colored urine, and being very thirsty
- Can’t have a bowel movement, especially if you’re also vomiting
- Pain when you pee, or you need to urinate often
Also call your doctor if:
- Your belly is tender to the touch
- Pain lasts more than a few hours
You may have other symptoms that could be a sign of a problem inside your body that needs treatment as soon as possible. Get medical care right away if you have abdominal pain and you also:
- Have unexplained weight loss
Recommended Reading: Why Does My Stomach Hurt To Touch
Abdominal Pain Treatment And Home Remedies
The treatment for abdominal pain depends on its cause, and may include:
- Medications to lower inflammation, prevent acid reflux, or treat ulcers or infection
- Surgery to treat a problem with an organ
Over-the-counter pain relievers like aspirin and ibuprofen can irritate your stomach and worsen your pain. Donât take them unless a doctor has diagnosed the cause of your belly pain and recommends their use.
Some diet and lifestyle changes may help belly pain caused by gas and indigestion. Here are some things you can try:
- Eat smaller portions at more frequent meals
- Eat slowly
What Are Some Of The Home Remedies To Cure Constant Stomach Pain
Home remedies can be beneficial in case of indigestion and mild bowel problems. In case of chronic and acute stomach pain there can be a presence of a serious underlying cause. Medical assistance should be sought in such cases. Few general home remedies to cure constant stomach pain involve-
Hot Compress: In case of abdominal cramps due to menstruation, hot compress with a heating pad or hot water bag may help ease out the pain.
Light Boiled Food: Eating light boiled food in case of diarrhea may help soothe the digestive system.
Ginger Tea: Drinking ginger tea may help improve digestion and reduce stomach pain as it is a good source of antioxidant.
Lemon and Hot Water: A combination of lemon and hot water helps reduce bloating as it restores the pH level of the body and removes gas. One may also use apple cider vinegar.
Fennel Seeds & Chamomile: Fennel seeds and chamomile are known for their antimicrobial muscular relaxant properties giving instant results in acute stomach pain occurring due to indigestion. Fennel seeds are beneficial to soothe menstrual cramps.
Home remedies for constant stomach pain also involve using varied spices like ginger, fennel seeds or even peppermint to help combat indigestion problems. Lemon and apple cider vinegar are good detoxifying agents of the digestive system. Above all, healthy diet and a proper lifestyle help keep the body clean, boosting metabolism and proper digestion.
Lower Abdominal Pain In Teenage Girls
A few causes of abdominal pain are specific to teenage girls .
Severe Stomach Pain After Eating A Fatty Meal
If you find yourself doubled over after eating a high-fat meal, you may be experiencing a gallbladder attack. “Women are especially prone to gallbladder disease,” says Hardeep Singh, MD, gastroenterologist from St. Joseph Hospital, Orange, CA. “Overweight women in their 40s are at highest risk.” The pain becomes worse after eating, lasts 30 to 60 minutes, and may come and go, becoming more constant and severe over time, says Singh.
Recommended Reading: How To Get Rid Of Stomach Inflammation Fast
Dyspepsia Or Upset Stomach
Dyspepsia is also called upset stomach or indigestion. It is a condition characterized by a painful or burning feeling in the upper abdominal region or stomach.
The most common dyspepsia symptoms include abdominal pain and bloating, cramping in the stomach, a growling stomach, nausea and vomiting, gas and belching, constipation, diarrhea, and a burning sensation in the stomach or upper abdomen.
Causes Of Abdominal Pain In Teens And Ways To Treat It
The abdominal region includes the most vital organs of the body, like the stomach, liver, intestines, and pancreas. Abdominal pain is often an indicator of a problem in these organs or the groin.
Abdominal pain or stomach ache is often not a serious ailment, and children, including teenagers, experience it at some point. However, severe and recurrent pain accompanied by other symptoms will require medical attention. In this post, we present the various reasons behind abdominal pain in teenagers, along with the treatment options.
Also Check: What Causes Bloated Stomach And Back Pain
Frequent Abdominal Pain And Gastrointestinal Issues
Food allergies and intolerances are extremely common and although you may have eaten a certain food your whole life, that doesnt mean that your body agrees with it. If youre allergic to dairy, for instance, you may experience unexplained gastrointestinal issues – including diarrhea, cramps, and abdominal pain. These symptoms will be due to issues within your digestion system.
Full Body Discomfort Or Malaise With Diarrhea Or Constipation
Possible explanation: lactose intolerance
What is it: Lactose is a component of milk-based products that requires an enzyme called lactase in order to be digested. In many people, this enzyme stops being produced in sufficient quantities and the lactose gets passed to the large intestine. Once there, it promotes the growth and activity of some gut bacteria that in turn cause a variety of unpleasant gastrointestinal symptoms.
Treatment: There is no cure for the gradual lessening of lactase production, but the condition can be mitigated by avoiding milk-based products or by taking lactase supplements that aid in the digestion of lactose.
Gastroenterologist AppointmentSome reasons for your stomach pain are no big deal at all, and theyll usually resolve on their own. But some can indicate a deeper or potentially more dangerous problem. If you have been having stomach pain that lingers, it may be time to talk with a gastroenterologist. Contact Carolina Digestive today to make an appointment and find some much-needed relief.
Read Also: How To Reduce Gas In Stomach Home Remedies
Signs And Symptoms Of Abdominal Pain
Abdominal pain may take several different forms. In addition to how severe it is, abdominal pain can be described in the following ways:
Generalized Pain This refers to pain felt in more than half of your abdominal area, and is typical of stomach viruses, indigestion, or gas as the cause of your pain.
Cramping This type of pain come and goes, or changes in its severity or perceived position in your abdomen. Cramping is rarely serious and is typical of gas, passing a stool, or menstruation as the cause of your pain.
Its important to call your doctor if your abdominal pain is so severe that you cant move without feeling more pain, or sit still in a comfortable position.
- Nausea and vomiting that doesnt resolve
- Weight loss
- Abdomen very tender to touch
- Swollen abdomen
Upper Abdominal Pain Between The Ribcage
If you develop an aching or stabbing pain or pressure in the upper abdominal area just under the ribs, this may indicate a heart-related problem. Physicians say this pain is often accompanied by shortness of breath and is concerning if the pain persists. People often assume this type of pain is indigestion, and while that may be the case, anyone with risk factors such as diabetes or hypertension should see a doctor as soon as possible.
Don’t Miss: How To Stop Period Stomach Pain
Chronic Inflammation Of The Digestive Tract
There are many symptoms to be aware of caused by Crohns disease such as abdominal pain, fatigue, nausea, weight loss, and diarrhea that can sometimes be bloody. It is a chronic inflammatory disease of the digestive tract that is treated with antidiarrhetics and prescription anti-inflammatory medications alongside lifestyle changes such as exercising and maintaining a healthy diet.
Crohns disease is caused by problems with the immune system, genetics, and environmental factors such as microbes and cigarette smoke. However, flare-ups can be avoided by taking medication correctly, knowing triggers, eating healthy, quitting smoking, avoiding over-the-counter pain relievers like ibuprofen, naproxen, and aspirin, and by taking care of stress.
Severe Acute Pain In The Lower Right Side Of The Abdomen
A sudden pain in the lower part of the abdomen may be a sign of appendicitis. It may also be accompanied by a fever. Pain often begins around the belly button area and becomes worse with time. Vomiting or constipation or diarrhea along with the pain also indicate it’s time to go to the emergency room. Physicians recommend seeing a doctor right away if the pain comes on suddenly over several hours or is persistent. Appendicitis often requires surgery. If left untreated, a ruptured appendix can be deadly.
Read Also: How To Get Rid Of Flabby Stomach