Gastroenteritis And Infectious Colitis
These are the terms for inflammation in the lining of the intestines and colon, respectively. Symptoms will vary based on the location and cause. In both cases, the underlying cause could be due to a condition such as Crohns disease or even something more benign such as a lack of blood flow to the abdominal area, says Dr. Dann. Patients with infectious colitis generally have diarrhea associated abdominal pain, which may be severe.
How to treat it: Depending on the severity of symptoms, antibiotics may be needed.
Types Of Stomach Pain
Almost everybody experiences a stomach ache at some point in life. In most cases, abdominal discomfort is not serious and develops as the result of overeating, gas, or indigestion.
When diagnosing the cause of stomach pain, a doctor will ask what the pain feels like, its location, and how much it hurts. The answers, along with the physical examination and some medical tests, help doctors determine the cause of and treatment for the stomach pain.
There are many different types of stomach pain, often described by what the pain feels like and its location. Stomach pain may be the result of any number of medical conditions, which can range from completely harmless to quite serious.
What Is Abdominal Pain
Abdominal pain may be felt anywhere between the chest and groin region of your body. The pain may be generalized, localized, or it may feel like cramps in your belly. If you have cramping or discomfort in your stomach, it may be due to gas, bloating, or constipation. Or it might be a sign of a more serious medical condition.
Colicky pain in the abdomen region comes and goes. One moment, you may feel fine, but the next, you may experience sharp, sudden pain in your abdomen. Kidney stones and gallstones are often the cause of this type of pain.
Many conditions can cause abdominal pain. But the main causes are:
Mild abdominal pain may go away without treatment. For example, if youre experiencing abdominal pain because of gas or bloating, it may simply need to run its course.
But in some cases, abdominal pain may warrant a trip to the doctor.
You should seek immediate medical care if the pain is so severe that you cant sit still or need to curl into a ball to get comfortable, or if you have any of the following:
- unexplained weight loss
If you dont already have a gastroenterologist, the Healthline FindCare tool can help you find a physician in your area.
Don’t Miss: What Foods Can Help An Upset Stomach
Causes Of Abdominal Pain And Diarrhea In Children
As in adults, abdominal pain and diarrhea in children are commonly caused by the stomach flu, infections, food allergies, lactose intolerance, and stress. But eating too much can also cause these symptoms. Some children may have trouble telling the difference between when theyre hungry and when theyre full. This can cause them to overeat. Overeating places stress on the digestive system, which can cause abdominal pain and diarrhea.
- swelling of the genitals
- external bleeding
Diarrhea can be more dangerous for infants, older adults, and people with weakened immune systems. In these cases, discuss symptoms with a medical professional.
If you dont already have a primary care doctor, you can browse doctors in your area through the Healthline FindCare tool.
Symptoms Of Abdominal Pain In Adults
The type of pain can vary greatly. When abdominal pain occurs, it can:
- be sharp, dull, stabbing, cramp-like, twisting or fit many other descriptions
- be brief, come and go in waves, or it can be constant
- make you throw up
- make you want to stay still or make you so restless that you pace around trying to find just the right position
- vary from a minor problem to one needing urgent surgery.
You May Like: How To Get Fat Removed From Stomach
Three Things To Look For With Stomach Pain
Here are three things you can look for that might help provide some clues about the source of abdominal pain, including:
- Type of pain: Is it a dull, achy, constant pain? Or more of a sharp, stabbing pain that comes and goes? This can tell doctors a lot about what might be going on.
- Location of pain: Pinpointing the exact location can be difficult, but try to narrow it down to the upper abdomen, the lower abdomen, the right side or the left. The abdomen has multiple organs, Dr. Sharif says, and as such any organ can cause abdominal pain.
- Additional symptoms: Are there other symptoms associated with your abdominal pain, such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, bloating or indigestion? Your doctor will take all of these into account when making a diagnosis.
Explained: The Link Between Stress And Stomach Problems
If you are experiencing stomach problems, then you may also be feeling stressed. When we experience high levels of stress, our gut also feels this stress. Stress and anxiety have been linked to chronic health problems such as heart disease, depression, and obesity. There is also a connection between stomach gurgling and bloating, constipation, and stomach pain. Further symptoms of stress induced stomach gurgling include:
- Bad Bacteria Grows, Good Bacteria Dies
- Reduced production of Serotonin
If your stomach gurgling is a symptom of stress, there are many things you can do to change your behavior and response to stress. In general, most of us will often respond to stressful events in a poor way. We will wait and hope that the source of our stress goes away by itself, excessively shop, drink alcohol, treat ourselves to something we want, or gamble. As a result, we then experience more stress and get stuck in a vicious circle.
There are far better ways to handle stress, including:
- Remove the Source of Stress
- List Ways to Solve the Problem
Learn these 3 simple steps to boost digestive health in the morning from BIOHM Health:
How do you manage stomach disturbances? Are you experiencing persistent stomach growling after eating? Lets talk about gut health in the comments below.Up Next:
Don’t Miss: What Will Help With Stomach Pain
How Do Doctors Find The Cause Of A Stomachache
To find the cause of a stomachache, doctors ask about:
- illnesses you’ve had in the past
- health conditions that other family members have
Be honest with your doctor, even if a symptom seems embarrassing.
The doctor will do an exam and sometimes might order tests, such as an X-ray, ultrasound, or blood test. It all depends on what the doctor thinks is causing the problem.
Causes Of Abdominal Pain And Diarrhea
Most people occasionally experience abdominal pain and diarrhea for short periods. Dietary changes, consuming too much alcohol, and indigestion may cause these symptoms.
Frequent, constant, or severe abdominal pain and diarrhea may indicate a disease or a more serious medical issue. Diarrhea that gets progressively worse and is bloody can be also be a sign of a more serious issue. Possible causes of abdominal pain and diarrhea include:
Diarrhea and abdominal pain that last for more than a week or that frequently reoccur may be a sign of an intestinal disease or disorder. You should talk to your doctor if youve experienced these symptoms for more than a week or on a reoccurring basis.
The above conditions and disorders can cause swelling of various parts of the digestive tract, such as the stomach and intestines. Inflammation of the digestive system can cause cramps and disrupt normal digestive processes. This usually results in abdominal pain and diarrhea.ADVERTISING
Recommended Reading: How To Cure Upset Stomach Naturally
Sudden And Severe Onset Stomach Pain
When mid-abdominal pain occurs suddenly especially in people with a history of peptic ulcer disease or in those who take excessive amounts of aspirin or NSAIDs it may be a sign of a perforation that could require emergency surgery. A tear could leak air and gastric content which can lead to a condition called peritonitis, and eventually, septic shock. Surgery would be required to seal the perforation.
Common Causes Of Lower Abdominal Pain
The common causes of lower abdominal pain are the menstrual cycle, urinary tract infection and constipation. The common symptoms include:
- painful urination
The management of the associated pains with the above symptoms can typically be accomplished with over-the-counter pain relievers or antacids. A person should seek medical attention at an urgent care center in New Braunfels, Texas if any symptom does not improve within three days, or at the first indication of a painful urination.
You May Like: Do I Have Food Poisoning Or The Stomach Flu
When Should I Call The Doctor
Sometimes, what seems like one problem food poisoning, for example can turn out to be something more serious, like appendicitis.
- the pain is very strong
- you’re vomiting a lot
- you already have another health condition
- the pain gets worse over time, doesn’t go away, or wakes you up from sleep
Also let the doctor know if you:
- have pain when you pee
- have trouble pooping or peeing
- have blood in your poop or pee
- think the belly pain is from an injury
- might be pregnant
When To Visit Your Primary And Urgent Care Clinic
Theres nothing to worry about if you experience stomach pain after sex once in a while. However, you should seek medical attention if you:
- Experience severe pain that hinders your ability to function
- Have regular stomach pain after sex
- Have a fever above 100.3°F
Feel free to visit your primary and urgent care clinic in California. Our doctors will assess your symptoms and determine the exact cause of abdominal pain. Our services are widespread through San Ramon Manteca and Lothrop. Call for more assistance.
Don’t Miss: Why Is My Stomach Always Gassy
When To Go To The Doctor
Pain in the body means that something is wrong. If you experience pain after eating only every once in a while and it is not debilitating, you may want to mention it to your doctor the next time that you see them.
But if you are experiencing pain after eating on a fairly frequent basis, it is essential that you make an appointment right away with your doctor to ensure that you get an accurate diagnosis and come up with a treatment plan.
If the pain is severe, debilitating, and accompanied by jaundice, fever, rapid heart rate, chills, or severe vomiting, you should seek emergency care.
Natural Treatments And Home Remedies
You can try the following natural home remedies to find relief when you have abdominal pain or gas trouble.
- You can use a heating pad to feel better. This helps with various types of abdominal pain, including cramps in the lower abdomen.
- You can take one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar with a teaspoon of honey and mix it in a cup of water. This can help you feel better from abdominal pain.
- If there are certain trigger foods, you should avoid those foods. For example, avoiding spicy foods has helped many people find relief.
- Peppermint is a great idea for lower abdomen pain. You can make peppermint tea or chew the peppermint leaves.
- You can drink plenty of water daily. This can help you feel better.
- You can use ginger for relief from abdominal pain. You can take ginger supplements or cut it and make tea with ginger for pain relief in the stomach.
- You can follow the BRAT diet, which stands for bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast. This diet can help ease pain symptoms.
- You can start meditation, yoga, and exercising regularly – all of this helps to calm your mind and relieve pain.
Recommended Reading: How Can You Cure Stomach Cancer
The Link Between Your Gut Microbiome And Your Health
In addition, many of the underlying conditions that cause abdominal pain can lead to serious complications, including the possibility of structural damage to the digestive system from infection, cancer and its treatments, and inflammatory bowel disease .
To reduce the risk of complications, its important to seek medical attention for your abdominal pain if its sudden and severe, or if it includes symptoms like fever, bloody stool, weight loss, nausea and vomiting, or visible swelling.
Other Stomach Cramps Causes
Other causes that can result in stomach cramps include the following.
- Anxiety: Frequent worry takes a physical toll on the body and proper treatment from a professional goes a long way in relieving symptoms.
- Medications: Certain drugs like ibuprofen or naproxen can be harsh on the stomach, especially when taken without food. There are suggestions to keep in mind when taking these medications to avoid abdominal cramps.
- Menstrual pain: Women can experience stomach cramps as a regular part of the menstrual cycle.
Recommended Reading: How To Get Rid Of Stomach Fat Without Exercise
Common Causes Of Left
The common causes for pains on the left side of the abdominal area are kidney stones, a kidney infection and diverticulitis.
The common symptoms for kidney stones and an infection are:
- pain in the left and/or right abdomen area, the back or the genitals
- fever, shivers and chills
- loss of appetite
If a kidney stone is too large to pass on its own, then a hospital admission becomes necessary. The avoidance of kidney stones should be discussed with a doctor.
Diverticulitis is an infection that can occur following diverticular disease that affects the large intestine. People with this disease rarely have symptoms until an infection is present. The symptoms caused by the infection are:
- constant, severe abdominal pain
Where Is The Pain
Doctors and other health professionals will first ask you where you feel the pain. Pain above the umbilicus but below the ribcage on the right may be gallstone pain. Gallstone pain may spread to the right shoulder or the back.
Pain from kidney stones is felt in the right side or left side, more in the back than the front of the abdomen, and tends to radiate downwards into the groin on the same side.
Pain in the very centre of the abdomen is more likely to be coming from the intestines, however in males, testicular pain is also felt in the centre of the abdomen.
Recommended Reading: How To Get Rid Of Your Stomach Fast
How Can I Feel Better
Most bellyaches don’t have a serious cause. They can happen for many different reasons, but most are easy to treat.
If stress or anxiety seem to be behind the pain, the doctor may recommend that you talk to a counselor or therapist. They help people figure out what’s behind their stress and give advice on how to fix problems or handle them better.
Common Causes Of Right
The common causes for pains on the right side of the abdominal area are gallstones and appendicitis. The pain associated with gallstones originates in the upper right of the abdomen area and can spread to the right shoulder blade.
The pain associated with appendicitis begins at the lower right side and is not constant. As the pain moves lower, it becomes constant and severe.
The symptoms of both conditions are:
- shivers and sweats
If any of these symptoms and pains are experienced, medical attention at an emergency room in New Braunfels, Texas, should be sought immediately.
Don’t Miss: What To Do If My Stomach Hurts
Issues Mistakenly Linked To Food Allergies
Although some people think certain illnesses can be caused by food allergies, evidence doesnt back up such claims. Histamines in cheese or red wine, for example, can trigger migraines. But we cant say that food allergies actually causemigraines. Rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis arent made worse by foods. Food allergies dont cause allergic tension fatigue syndrome, where people get tired, nervous, and may have problems concentrating or headaches.
Cerebral allergy is a term that describes when mast cells are supposedly releasing their chemicals in the brain and nowhere else in the body causing trouble concentrating and headaches. Most doctors dont recognize cerebral allergy as a disorder.
Even when their surroundings are very clean, some people have many general complaints like problems concentrating, fatigue, or depression. Environmental illness may be the result of small amounts of allergens or toxins, but not food allergies.
Researchers have found that hyperactivity in children may be related to food additives, but only occasionally and only when the child has had a lot of them. A food allergy wont directly affect a childs behavior, although their symptoms might make them cranky and difficult, and allergy medications can make them sleepy.
Lactose Intolerance And Food Allergies
Eating food youre allergic or sensitive to can cause sharp pains in your abdomen as your body works to digest it. Sometimes gas and indigestion symptoms occur if you eat food your body doesnt agree with.
Unless you have food allergies that put you at risk for anaphylaxis, abdominal pain from food allergies or sensitivities is not an emergency. You may also notice bloating or diarrhea after eating food your body cant digest properly.
If you have a lactose allergy, speak with a healthcare professional about replacement enzyme pills, which may allow you to consume dairy without discomfort.
Read Also: How Much Is Smart Lipo For Stomach
Common Causes Of Stomach Pain
Harmless abdominal pain usually subsides or goes away within two hours. Some of the common causes for stomach pain are from:
- Gas: Formed in the stomach and intestines as your body breaks down food, gas can cause general stomach pain and cramps. This often can be indicated by belching or flatulence.
- Bloating: Related to gas, bloating occurs when excess gas builds up in your digestive tract. Your stomach usually will feel full, and you may experience cramps.
- Constipation: This occurs when you are having difficulty making bowel movements. If you are having two or fewer bowel movements a week, constipation is the likely cause. In addition to feeling bloated and uncomfortable, you may experience cramping and pain in your rectum.
- Indigestion: This is typically experienced as an upset stomach, burning, or belly pain after eating.
- Stomach flu: Your stomach may hurt before each episode of vomiting or diarrhea.