What Causes Abdominal Pain And Burping
You can swallow air when you eat or drink too quickly or consume carbonated drinks. Rapid breathing or hyperventilating caused by laughter or anxiety can also cause you to swallow air.
Babies and young children may swallow large amounts of air without realizing it, causing discomfort and burping. This is why babies are burped shortly after drinking breast milk or formula.
Frequent abdominal pain and burping may also be caused by conditions including:
- fever over 101F
- pain or burning sensations in the throat or mouth
- chest pain
You can book an appointment with a primary care doctor in your area using our Healthline FindCare tool.
Treatments for abdominal pain and burping will address the underlying condition.
Stomach Pain From Dehydration
It is possible to develop stomach pain from being dehydrated. Dehydration occurs when your body has lost too much fluid, and it cannot function normally. Signs of dehydration include stomach pain, fever, difficulty breathing, decrease in urine production, and even seizures. Drink fluids with electrolytes to help replenish your body quickly, and be sure to seek professional treatment if the case is severe.
Contact Digestive Health Services if your stomach pain is intense, comes on suddenly, and occurs with other symptoms, as this could be a serious medical issue.
If you have any further questions or would like to schedule an appointment, please call today!
Your Health Questions Answered
- Answered by: Healthily’s medical teamAnswered: 02/08/2021
Period pains are common and can vary in how painful they are and what they feel like. Theyre a normal part of your period cycle and happen when your womb tightens to get rid of the womb lining thats built up, which youll see as blood. Youll usually feel cramps in your tummy area, but sometimes, the pain may be more sharp and intense. If you find that the pain is very bad, or only ever on one side of your tummy, it may mean you have an underlying condition like fibroids or endometriosis. So see a doctor if youre in a lot of pain during your period, the pain isnt going away after your period has stopped or you feel the pain only on one side of your tummy. Read more about the treatment for endometriosis.
You May Like: How To Relieve Stomach Pain Due To Constipation
What Exams And Tests Help Diagnose The Cause Of Abdominal Pain
Examining the patient will provide the doctor with additional clues to the cause of the pain. The doctor will determine:
- Finding tenderness and signs of inflammation in the left lower abdomen often means that diverticulitis is present, while finding a tender mass in the same area may mean that the inflammation has progressed and that an abscess has formed.
- Finding tenderness and signs of inflammation in the right lower abdomen often means that appendicitis is present, while finding a tender mass in the same area may mean that the inflammation has progressed and that an abscess has formed.
- Inflammation in the right lower abdomen, with or without a mass, also may be found in Crohn’s disease.
- A mass without signs of inflammation may mean that cancer is present.
While the health history and physical examination are vitally important in determining the cause of abdominal pain, other medical tests often are necessary to determine the cause.
Possible Causes Of Lower Right Abdomen Pain
Abdominal pain is a relatively common occurrence for men and women of all age groups. This is in large part because the abdomen, located between the chest and pelvis, contains most of the bodys vital organs. A problem with any of those organs or body systems can potentially cause some form of abdominal pain. Where that pain is specifically located, though, is an important factor in determining the possible cause. One area of the abdomen that has several possible causes is the lower right side of the abdomen.
Also Check: How To Wrap Stomach For Weight Loss
Right Fallopian Tube And Ovary
Part of the reproductive organs in women are located on the right side of their body. The right fallopian tube and ovary are found in the pelvic area are just below the right side of the belly button. Therefore, it quite common that premenstrual syndrome, ovarian cysts, or endometriosis can be a reason for right-sided abdominal pain in women.
Diagnosis Of Abdominal Pain In Adults
If examinations and tests are needed, these may include:
- a rectal exam to check for hidden blood or other problems
- if you are a man, the doctor may check your penis and scrotum
- if you are a woman, the doctor may do a pelvic exam to check for problems in your womb , fallopian tubes and ovaries, and do a pregnancy test
- a blood test to look for infection or bleeding
- other blood tests may look at enzymes in the liver, pancreas and heart to sort out which organ may be involved
- a urine test to look for a urine infection or blood
- an ECG to rule out a heart attack
- other tests, including x-ray, ultrasound or CT scan
- sometimes you may be referred to another doctor to help find the cause of the problem.
- endoscopy is an examination where a flexible tube with a light and video camera at the tip is used to examine some internal organs without the need for surgery. Different names are used depending on which organ is being looked at.
If you do have tests, the doctor will explain the results to you. Some results may take a number of days to come back and these will be sent to your local doctor.
You May Like: What Can I Do To Tighten My Stomach
Where Do You Feel Liver Pain
Most people feel it as a dull, throbbing sensation in the upper right abdomen. Liver pain can also feel like a stabbing sensation that takes your breath away. Sometimes this pain is accompanied by swelling, and occasionally people feel radiating liver pain in their back or in their right shoulder blade.
Pain Locator: Where Does It Hurt
Abdominal pain can have a wide range of causes. Understanding the nine regions and four quadrants of your abdomen can help pinpoint possible origins and identify associated ailments. Here’s a helpful guide.
Abdominal pain could be indicative of many ailments, ranging from gas and constipation to gallstones or pancreatitis. Understanding the type of pain you’re experiencing, where it’s originating from, and the severity of your ailment, could help you get the correct treatment before symptoms worsen.
It’s important to become acquainted with the nine regions of the abdomen, so you can better understand how your digestive organs function and are susceptible to a variety of medical issues.
Recommended Reading: How To Naturally Shrink Stomach
What Medications Can Be Used To Treat Certain Causes Of Abdominal Pain
Medications that are used for the treatment of underlying cause of the pain are the medications of choice. For example, medications are not needed for the treatment of simple viral gastroenteritis , while surgery and/or chemotherapy may be the best approach to treat certain cancers in the abdomen. Other causes may require antispasmodics, antimicrobials, H2 blockers, or even nitrates or morphine. The diagnosed cause usually narrows the choice of medications. A few causes can only be treated by surgery , although some medications may be used while the person is waiting to have surgery.
Pain On Right Side: 26 Possible Causes With Treatment
Pain On right side refers to pain in the right side of the chest or abdominal area. The right side of the human body contains many vital organs, including lungs, kidneys, liver, pancreas, and large intestine. Some disease, inflammation, or infection in any of these organs can cause pain. The pains usually range from mild discomfort to dull, intense, sharp tingling.
Many people worry that the pain on the right side of the body is related to the heart. However, heart attack or angina usually occurs on the left side of the body because the heart is located on the left side of the chest. In most cases, the pain on the right side of the body may be caused by stress, anxiety, excessive gas, muscle strain, or heartburn.
This article will discuss the 26 causes and treatments of pain on the right side. However, before starting the article, you need to know which vital organs are on the right side of the body.
Recommended Reading: How Can I Ease Stomach Pain
Severe Pain In The Lower Right Abdomen
If you notice intense pain in the lower right abdomen that comes on suddenly, it could be appendicitis. This condition can also bring on a rising fever and vomiting, especially if the pain starts at the navel and continues to get worse. It is best for individuals with these symptoms to go to the nearest emergency room. Left untreated, your appendix could rupture.
When In Doubt About Your Abdominal Symptoms Physicians Say Its Best To Call Your Doctor Or Head To The Er
The egg salad didn’t taste quite right, but you were hungry. Or maybe your craving for cheesecake overrode the punishment you knew your lactose intolerance would inflict. You expect stomach distress in situations like these, but other times, abdominal pain can come out of nowhere. Sometimes it’s severe enough or lasts for so long that you know it’s not simply a matter of eating something that didn’t agree with you.
Digestive system issues account for 51 million visits to doctors’ offices and emergency departments yearly, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention . The severity of the pain, its location within your abdominal area, and accompanying symptoms may provide clues to the origin of the pain and whether or not you should seek help immediately. Here are some of the most common signs your tummy troubles need more than an over-the-counter remedy.
You May Like: How To Eliminate Stomach Acid
When To Go To The Hospital
Warning signs that indicate an urgent need to go to the hospital include:
- Any pain that is sudden, very strong, localized to a specific spot, or worsening over time
- Fever or any difficulty breathing
- High blood pressure, tachycardia, cold sweats or general malaise
- Vomiting and diarrhea that does not resolve
In these cases, in addition to assessing all signs and symptoms, the doctor may order diagnostic testing like ultrasound or CT-scans.
Possible Causes Of Abdominal Pain
There are several causes of abdominal pain or discomfort. The following are lists of causes of abdominal pain , grouped into the area of the abdomen where patients often say their pain is mainly localized.
Upper Abdominal Pain
Upper abdominal pain –
The above lists are examples of many causes of abdominal pain. The doctor makes use of the location, type, and intensity of pain to try to arrive at a diagnosis. For example, if an older patient has acute pain that is relatively constant, located in the left and or center of the lower abdomen with a pain score of 9 out of 10, that is sharp or tearing, the doctor would likely place a thoracic aortic aneurysm high on the list of suspected causes.
Don’t Miss: How To Stop Ibs Stomach Spasms
Pain Due To Old Surgery
Many people suffer from pain on the right side of their body due to having previously been operated on. For appendicitis, gallbladder, stomach, etc… In this case to rule out any other condition is to get an ultrasound and sonography. If there is only inflammation, it may be due to some kind of food intolerance, like gluten or lactose. If you have ruled out these options you must consult your doctor to make sure there are no problems with the wound’s healing.
Why Does My Right Side Hurt Tummy
In some cases, a pain in the lower right abdomen can indicate a more serious condition that will require immediate medical assistance. When the pain is specific to the lower right abdomen, appendicitis is one of the most common causes. The appendix is a tube-like structure attached to the large intestines.
Also Check: How To Sculpt Your Stomach
Gallstones / Gallbladder Attack
Sudden stabbing pains at the upper part of your abdomen could be a result of gallstones or a gallbladder infection. Your gallbladder is located just under your liver on the right side of your body. Your gallbladder secretes digestive bile produced by the liver to help to break down fats during the digestive process.
Dr. Gregory Thompson on WebMD explains that gallstone pain can start suddenly in the upper abdomen and spread to the right shoulder blade or right-hand side of your upper back. The gallbladder attack pain can be extremely intense and it can last continuously for up to 5 hours.16 Gallstones may also be a reason for feeling nauseous after eating.
In some cases, sharp upper right abdominal pain is one of the side effects of a gallbladder removal . After a gallbladder removal, you may need to follow a gallbladder removal diet to prevent post cholecystectomy side effects such as indigestion and weight gain.
Is Removing Appendix Major Surgery
Appendectomy is major surgery and complications can arise. Appendectomy is the surgical removal of the appendix. It is common emergency surgery.
The complications that can arise from appendectomy include :
- Bleeding after the surgical procedure
- Infection of the wound site.
- Injury to other organs
Don’t Miss: How To Treat Stomach Virus In 2 Year Old
When To See A Doctor About Lower Right Abdominal Pain
- youre vomiting and your vomit looks like blood, coffee grounds or is bright green
- may have eaten something poisonous
- youre vomiting and have a stiff neck or it hurts to look at bright lights
- have a lot of blood in your pee or poo, or your poo is a dark black colour, like tar
- havent pooed or farted all day
- you suddenly cant pee, or havent peed all day
- youre pregnant and the pain is very bad, you have pain in your shoulder tip or you feel dizzy or faint or have heavy vaginal bleeding
- youre vomiting and cant keep any fluids down
- you feel very unwell, your heart is racing, you have a high fever, you havent peed all day or you feel dizzy or faint, or have any other signs of sepsis
- a very painful lump in your tummy or groin that cant be pushed back in
See a doctor within 24 hours if you have lower right abdominal pain and:
- symptoms of a urinary tract infection and theyre not getting better after 2 days like burning pain when you pee, needing to pee often or urgently
- symptoms of a UTI and you have a penis, youre older, frail or a child, or your symptoms have returned after treatment
- a fever
- feel pain just under your ribs on your back
- feel shivery or are shaking
- diarrhoea thats lasted longer than 7 days, or youve been vomiting for more than 2 days
- new vaginal discharge, or you think you may have an STI
You should also see a doctor as soon as possible if you have lower right abdominal pain and:
Upper Abdominal Pain Between The Ribcage
If you develop an aching or stabbing pain or pressure in the upper abdominal area just under the ribs, this may indicate a heart-related problem. Physicians say this pain is often accompanied by shortness of breath and is concerning if the pain persists. People often assume this type of pain is indigestion, and while that may be the case, anyone with risk factors such as diabetes or hypertension should see a doctor as soon as possible.
Don’t Miss: What Medication Do You Take For Stomach Ulcers
Torsion Of The Testicle
- Torsion of the testicle causes severe pain in the scrotum and severe lower quadrant pain, usually on one side.
- It most commonly affects teenage boys but young adult men can be affected.
- It is unusual over the age of 25 years but can affect any man at any age.
- The testicle is very tender.
- You should seek urgent medical advice.
Other Sources Of Lower Abdominal Pain
A study published in April 2011 in the American Journal of Surgery suggests that almost 12 percent of appendectomies between 1998 and 2007 were conducted on patients who didnt actually have appendicitis.
This is because several health issues can also cause pain thats localized to your lower right abdominal area, making an accurate diagnosis of appendicitis difficult without using imaging tests, such as computed tomography , ultrasound, and MRIs.
For instance, ovulation pain occurs on either the right or left side of the lower abdomen and can be quite sharp, like appendicitis pain. But that pain doesnt start near the belly button, nor does it get worse with movement.
Constipation can cause pain localized in the lower right abdomen, as well as rebound tenderness. But the constipation starts before the abdominal pain, unlike when you have appendicitis though constipation can be a symptom of appendicitis.
Pain from kidney stones can spread to the lower right abdomen, though it doesnt start at the belly button it usually starts below the ribs on one of your sides and back. It also usually comes in waves.
Also Check: How To Lose Excess Stomach Fat