Purina Pro Plan Adult Sensitive Skin & Stomach Salmon & Rice Formula Dry Dog Food
Top Ingredients: 1. Salmon, 2. Barley, 3. Rice, 4. Oat Meal, 5. Fish Meal
Purinas Pro Plan Sensitive Skin & Stomach dog food has created a special diet for sensitive dogs that boosts both digestive and skin health. The recipe is built from easily-digestible salmon, rice, and oatmeal that provide essential macro-nutrients, while fish oils and omega fatty acids nourish the skin and coat of your dog.
Moreover, the dog food plays a vital role in strengthening your canines digestive health through live probiotics and prebiotic fibers. Both of them support effective digestion and encourage nutrient absorption for a healthy and active canine.
Diets Commonly Recommended For Sensitive Skin
When dealing with food allergies or sensitive skin, an elimination diet, aka exclusion diet, or a diet change is often recommended. All the foods the dog is allergic to have to be removed from its diet to give your dogs immune system a break. This includes common allergens like chicken, beef, and the like.
Besides that, giving foods formulated to provide dogs with a healthy coat and skin is highly suggested. Most of them are natural dog food made with natural ingredients and without artificial preservatives, colors, and flavors.
Apart from that, the best dog food for sensitive skin will also include nutrients that will help reduce the signs of skin irritation. The vitamins and minerals that your pup needs to get that glowing skin and fur back are often found in dog foods with the following labels:
Hypoallergenic Dog Foods
Youll only find a few dog foods labeled hypoallergenic. Hypoallergenic dog food is specifically formulated for dogs with food allergies and food intolerance. The best hypoallergenic dog food usually contains unique animal protein sources to minimize the allergic reaction. Theyre also loaded with skin health-enhancing nutrients.
Limited-ingredient dog foods contain only a few key components, often with natural ingredients, minimizing fillers, and maximizing nutritional value. This also makes it easy for pet owners to pinpoint the allergens that might be harmful to their dogs sensitive stomach and skin.
Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Gastrointestinal Low Fat Canned Dog Food
If your veterinarian has recommended wet food, or if your dog prefers wet food, there is still a great sensitive stomach formula that is widely available. The Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Gastrointestinal Dog Food is canned and wet food that was specifically made for dogs with gastrointestinal issues or who needed a low fat food.
One of the biggest issues with this food is that it requires a vets authorization. However, once its prescribed to your dog, youll be able to buy it easily online. The food
This canned food is also one of the most expensive options on this list, with a pack of 24 cans averaging a little under $100. If youre on a budget and have a larger dog, this can be a steep price. If you need to cut costs slightly, you could check with your vet to see if you can mix this wet food with the dry food version.
Don’t Miss: Why Does My Stomach Bloat After I Eat Anything
Merrick Limited Ingredient Diet Turkey And Rice Dog Food
Image courtesy Merrick
This food is made with turkey, which is a great source of protein. It also has brown rice, which is an excellent source of carbohydrates and fiber.
It is grain-free and does not contain any artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives. This food is made in the USA with high-quality ingredients. Merrick Limited Ingredient Diet Turkey and Rice Dog Food is perfect for dogs with allergies or sensitivities.
The Best Sensitive Stomach Dog Food Reviewed
With so many stomach formulas available on the market, finding the right one can be tricky. To help owners pick the right one, we have reviewed some of the best dog food for sensitive stomach recipes.
Summary: This recipe by The Honest Kitchen is the perfect option for sensitive dogs in need of a limited ingredient diet. Made with six simple and nutritious ingredients, the recipe is easily digestible and healthy. Plus, it comes in an easy-to-use dehydrated form that needs to be quickly rehydrated before use. The brand offers six different flavor options with limited ingredients, so there is an option for every dogs taste preference.
Type:Dehydrated dog food
Flavor Options: Turkey & Parsnip Fish & Coconut Duck & Sweet Potato Chicken & Quinoa Beef & Chickpea
- Complete and balanced nutrition for adult dogs
- Can be used on its own or as a dog food topper
- Available in a variety of unique flavors
- Needs to be rehydrated before serving
- Turkey: Turkey is an excellent source of lean protein. It is low in fats and rich in micronutrients.
- Parsnips: Parsnip is a superfood for dogs as it is particularly rich in vitamins and minerals.
- Navy Beans: Beans provide dogs with healthy and digestible carbs. They are also a good source of plant-based proteins.
- Pumpkin: Pumpkin boosts digestion. Rich in natural dietary fiber, pumpkin supports gut health and intestinal motility.
Type: Dry dog food
Read Also: How To Get Rid Of Candida In Stomach
Instinct Limited Ingredient Diet Grain
Top Ingredients: 1. Lamb Meal, 2. Lamb, 3. Coconut Oil, 4. Peas, 5. Freeze Dried Lamb Heart
While other brands craft formulas from selected foods, Instinct Limited LID Diet follows a simple two-ingredient approach by using only one protein and one vegetable to reduce digestive upsets to a minimum. It sources most of the nutrients from lamb meat, peas, tapioca, and canola oil that encourage nutrient absorption and smooth digestion.
Antioxidants and omega fats are plentiful in the recipe and promote healthy fur and stronger immunity. Because the diet is so limited in ingredients, it will suit canines that are allergic to most ingredients like dairy, meat, and grains.
Symptoms Of A Sensitive Stomach
Dogs with sensitive stomachs typically exhibit a relatively similar set of symptoms. However, some dogs experience some symptoms more often than others, as each dog is an individual. Nevertheless, your dog may have a sensitive stomach if she displays any of the following symptoms:
- Vomiting While the occasional bout of vomiting is normal , repeated bouts of vomiting likely indicate that your dog either has a sensitive stomach or a serious health issue.
- Diarrhea Loose or runny stools are another symptom that occasionally plague all dogs, but repeated occurrences indicate the presence of a sensitive stomach or a more serious problem.
- Gas If your dog engages in chemical warfare on a regular basis, she is likely suffering from a sensitive stomach . Gas-x can help treat symptoms, but ideally, youll want to resolve your dogs tummy issues at the source.
You May Like: Can You Shrink Your Stomach Naturally
Tip: Save Time With Petplate
Want to make life a little easier? PetPlates here to help. Our vet nutritionist, Dr. Renee Streeter, has been with us since day one, crafting each of our recipes to ensure theyre both highly palatable and perfectly balanced.
With four recipes to choose fromall made with high-quality, human-grade, and whole-food ingredientsyoure bound to find one that your dog loves. Plus, meals are delivered right to your door and on your schedule. Youll have more time to spend with your furry family members, backed with the peace of mind that youre serving them the best.
Guide About Dog With A Sensitive Stomach
Having a dog with a sensitive stomach can be an annoying problem. You will always have to clean hundreds of pits, some bigger than others.
Maybe you ended up on this guide after a desperate Google search, trying to figure out what to do?
Do not fear! Our guide to the best foods for sensitive stomachs is now here.
When dealing with a sensitive stomach, the dog appears very low in tone.
Stomach upset is as unpleasant for dogs as it is for us and as good dog owners, the last thing we want is to see our pets in pain.
Read on for a detailed guide and an indication of the best dog food for sensitive stomachs.
Treasure these instructions and you will soon see that your dog will be running and playing happy and full of life again!
Also Check: How To Make Your Stomach Feel Better
Diamond Care Sensitive Stomach Formula Adult Grain
Top Ingredients: 1. Potatoes, 2. Egg Product, 3. Potato Protein, 4. Tomato Pomace, 5. Chicken Fat
Diamond Care Sensitive Stomach Formula is the ultimate dog food for canines with an extremely fragile digestive system. It contains a very limited selection of ingredients and even exchanges meat for egg protein for extra sensitive dogs. The recipe is completely free from grains, gluten, corn, wheat, and soy, so even the most sensitive dogs can enjoy and fully digest a tasty meal.
To further strengthen your dogs digestive tract, the dog food includes species-specific probiotics that promote gut flora and more efficient digestion. Also, the recipe contains numerous vitamins, minerals, and omega fatty acids that support your dogs general health and helps them grow healthy fur.
What Symptoms Should I Watch Out For To Alert Me To Issues With My Dogs Digestion
Early warning signs of stomach insensitivity are gas, vomiting, diarrhea, and nausea. If you notice that your dog is bloated, this is another common marker of stomach issues. Look out for behavioral signs like paw biting or obsessive licking. Sometimes, allergies affect the skin. If your dog has hives, a skin rash, or seems to be continuously itching and scratching, this could suggest stomach sensitivities. In all cases, seek advice from your vet.
Also Check: Why Is My Poop Green And My Stomach Hurts
Whats The Best Dog Food For Sensitive Stomachs
You only have to look to nature to provide the best diet for your furry friend’s sensitive stomach: meat, organs, and bone in whole-prey ratios.
A meat-rich, whole-prey diet provides the optimal assortment of amino acids and digestive enzymes for our furry friends to digest the food theyre consuming. This diet doesnt include fillers like carbohydrates that cant be easily digested .
If you don’t like handling raw meat, or love the convenience that dry kibbles offer, you might want to consider a raw alternative diet like ZIWI Peak. Our gentle air-drying process helps protect those precious nutrients and amino acids – with the added benefit of being able to store the food in your cupboard, rather than the fridge or freezer. Just scoop and serve!
To see the difference in how your dog digests a high-meat vs processed diet, you only have to look around your backyard. Dogs eating a meat-rich diet will produce smaller stools than kibble-fed dogs .
What Are The Causes Of Stomach Upset In Dogs
So why could a dog suffer from a sensitive stomach?
There are several factors that can cause this ailment in your dog.
It could be both internal factors and external factors
We have compiled a list below with some of the possible reasons for a stomach ailment:
- Food allergy. This can be caused by intolerance to a specific ingredient in the food, or other chemical ingredients in the dogs food.
- The most common allergens in dogs are dairy products, wheat, lamb, corn , fish and chicken. Allergies often manifest themselves in the itchy skin, which we talked about above.
- Diet. A sensitive stomach could be caused by the way dogs eat. A sudden change in diet or overeating can lead to stomach upset. Finally, if your dog eats something he shouldnt eat say, one of your favorite socks he will likely have a stomach upset until the item has been digested.
- Parasites. the major cause of sensitive stomachs are worms. Worm eggs grow all over the environment, and dogs are in danger of coming into contact with them. Fortunately, the solution is simple! Take your dog to the vet and he will prescribe flea medicine that should fix the problem quickly.
- Harmful pathogens. Some harmful bacteria or viruses can cause various stomach diseases, or more frequently gastritis. These are diagnosed by a vet very easily, some may not have a cure. But dont worry even with gastritis, a dog can lead a perfectly healthy life!
Recommended Reading: What Foods Help Stomach Aches
What Causes A Sensitive Stomach And Diarrhea In German Shepherds
You might not always know what causes stomach sickness in your GSD.
There are multiple causes why German Shepherds can have diarrhea. This could range from eating something they should not to a sudden change of food.
If you are inclined to change your dogs food, remember to do it gradually over at least a seven to ten-day period. You can do the food switch by mixing a small amount of the new food with the original food. As each day passes continue to add more of the new food while including less of the original diet.
If at any point your German Shepherd gets upset to the stomach or has diarrhea, stop the new diet and let them have a few days of rest on their original normal diet before trying with the introduction of the new food again.
Does Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin And Stomach Have Chicken In It
Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach formulas start with real salmon or lamb as the first ingredient, plus guaranteed live probiotics are included to support digestive and immune health. Choose from specialized formulas for adults, small breeds, large breeds and puppies. There is even an option without chicken or egg.
Read Also: Can You Take Miralax On An Empty Stomach
Transitioning Your Dog To A Different Food
In general, the best way to transition your dog to a new food is to start small. The first meal should contain approximately 80-90 percent old food and 10-20 percent new food. Change this ratio slowly over the course of 10 days. You can always call your vet to get her recommendations about the best way to transition your dog to a new food.
How To Find A High
The Internet is full of advice about the best food for dogs with sensitive stomachs. Unfortunately, most of that advice is not founded on solid research. This makes it difficult to navigate forums, blogs, and web articles. The dog food companys website can also be misleading after all, they are trying to sell a product. This is why the best place to start your search is with your veterinarian or a veterinary nutritionist. If you have not already consulted with your vet about your dogs sensitive stomach, now is the time. You want to rule out anything serious before you start experimenting with different foods on your own. Your vet might be able to suggest a few brands of dog food that she prefers and can give you an idea of problematic ingredients and nutritional information to look out for as you start your search. Most pet owners also do their own research. Look for articles and journals written by veterinarians and Board Certified Veterinary Nutritionists. You want the best for your dog, so consult the best sources the experts. Try to remain a little skeptical as you search for the best food for dogs with sensitive stomachs. If a company is advertising a miracle diet that sounds too good to be true, it probably is .
Don’t Miss: How To Ease Stomach Pain And Diarrhea
Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin And Stomach
Image courtesy Purina
This food is made with high-quality salmon and rice. It also has oatmeal, which is a great source of fiber.
It does not contain any artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives. This food is made in the USA with high-quality ingredients. Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach is perfect for dogs with allergies or sensitivities. This food was developed by veterinarians and nutritionists to help support the health of your dog.
What Are The Benefits Of Sensitive Stomach Dog Food
There are several benefits of using the best dog food for sensitive stomach:
- Better Digestion. In addition to using a single source of meat, most sensitive stomach dog foods contain easily digestible ingredients such as sweet potatoes, chickpeas, and brown rice. These enhance your dogs gut flora and improve their digestion.
- Manageable Stools. Thanks to a better digestive system, it becomes easier to manage your dogs stools. It also keeps the stools regular.
- Stronger Immunity. Shifting to a diet for sensitive stomachs can boost your dogs immunity. This helps them fight off common infections and diseases.
- Better Mood. A dogs mood is dependent on its gut health. Better gut health can directly imply a better mood. This reduces aggressive behavior and keeps your pet happier.
- More Activity. A healthy and happy dog will often be a more active dog. Shifting to a diet meant for sensitive foods can mean that your dog will play a lot more.
You May Like: What To Eat With Inflamed Stomach
Taste Of The Wild High Prairie Grain
Our Most Popular Pick: Made with real roasted meats and available in both a puppy and adult recipe, Taste of the Wild High Prairie dog food is our most popular pick. Dog owners love this recipe for its high protein content that comes from roasted bison and venison as well as the fact that it is supplemented with species-specific probiotics to support healthy digestion. Plus, it is free from artificial additives and low-quality fillers that might bother your dogs sensitive stomach.
- Pros: Real roasted meats as main ingredient, grain-free, species-specific probiotics, healthy fats
- Cons: Contains some plant protein , main source of fat is plant-based
|Our 2021 Picks for Best Sensitive Stomach, Gas and Diarrhea Foods|
You Always Want To Watch For:
- Vitamins and Minerals These help your dog stay healthy and function correctly. They will assist in helping your dogs body to grow in the best way possible. Keep in mind that not all dog foods include vitamins and minerals. Therefore, you must be proactive with this important detail.
- Carbohydrates You may have heard that carbohydrates are only fillers/empty calories. This is not true. Carbs are good for your dog, providing them with much-needed energy, nutrients, and fiber. They also assist in keeping your dogs brain functioning properly and keep their glucose level steady. The fiber will help to regulate their digestive system and keep them from feeling hungry all the time.
- Fat Fat is essential and provides energy to your pet. Fatty acids are essential for a healthy coat and skin and the development of their organs. Not to mention, they love the taste!
- Protein If your dog suffers from a sensitive stomach, a single protein in their food is best. If they are puppies, pregnant or nursing, you may want to give them a bit more protein during these times for optimal health.
- Prebiotics This is the good bacteria that is needed for gastrointestinal health and digestion.
- Probiotics Living microorganisms that colonize the digestive system with good bacteria.
Read Also: How To Heal Stomach Inflammation Naturally