For Nausea And Vomiting
Last nights Chinese take-out leftovers seem like a great meal ideauntil your stomach clearly begins to disagree with you. Nausea and vomiting are one of your bodys major defenses against food poisoning, and can also arise from problems like motion sickness and overeating. While the best way to cure an upset stomach from most cases of food poisoning is to let your body rid itself of the bacteria causing your discomfort, over-the-counter antiemetics can come in handy when dealing with nausea and vomiting symptoms caused by motion sickness and certain other conditions. There are two main types of OTC medications used to treat nausea and vomiting:
- Bismuth subsalicylate, the active ingredient in OTC medications like Kaopectate® and Pepto-Bismol, protects your stomach lining. Bismuth subsalicylate is also used to treat ulcers, upset stomach and diarrhea.
- Other medicines include cyclizine, dimenhydrinate, diphenhydramine, and meclizine. These can be found in medicines such as Dramamine, Bonine, or others, and they dull motion sickness by acting on your brain. They block messages from reaching the part of the brain that controls nausea and vomiting
Report Problems To The Food And Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
CONDITIONS OF USE: The information in this database is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of healthcare professionals. The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for you or anyone else. A healthcare professional should be consulted before taking any drug, changing any diet or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment.
How Is The Cause Of Acute Abdominal Pain Diagnosed
Your healthcare provider will examine you and ask about your symptoms. Tell the provider when your symptoms started and about any recent travel or surgery. Also tell him or her what makes the pain better or worse. Based on what your provider finds from the exam, and your symptoms, you may need any of the following:
Recommended Reading: What Is Best Pillow For Stomach Sleepers
Treatment For Abdominal Pain In Adults
Your treatment depends on what is causing your pain, but may include:
- Pain relief your pain may not go away fully with painkillers, but it should ease.
- Fluids you may have fluids given into a vein to correct fluid loss and rest your bowel.
- Medicines for example, you may be given something to stop you vomiting.
- Fasting your doctor may ask you not to eat or drink anything until the cause of your pain is known.
What If I Forget To Take It
If you forget to take a dose, take it as soon as you remember. If you do not remember until it’s nearly time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and take the next one at the usual time.
Never take 2 doses at the same time. Never take an extra dose to make up for a forgotten one.
If you often forget doses, it may help to set an alarm to remind you. You could also ask your pharmacist for advice on other ways to remember to take your medicines.
Also Check: What To Eat During Stomach Flu
Pharmacist Tips For Dicyclomine
Talk to your healthcare provider about other options if dicyclomine doesn’t help your symptoms within 2 weeks.
Dicyclomine can cause your body to make less saliva and sweat. This can cause your body to overheat more easily in hot temperatures and make you more thirsty. Make sure to drink lots of water and stay hydrated while taking this medication, especially when it’s hot outside.
This medication may impair your ability to think, focus, and react. Avoid doing dangerous activities or anything that requires full alertness until you know how this medication affects you.
Don’t take dicyclomine at the same time as antacids. Antacids can decrease the absorption and effectiveness of dicyclomine.
Don’t use this while breastfeeding. Not only can it come out in your breast milk and harm the baby, it can lower your milk production.
Prices for dicyclomine start at just $13.20 with a GoodRx coupon. Theyre fast, easy-to-use and free!
Using Other Techniques To Relieve Discomfort
Also Check: What To Eat When Your Stomach Hurts
Using Apple Cider Vinegar As A Stomachache Cure
Another paradoxical-sounding remedy is using acidic drinks to relieve pain from gastric reflux. Since gastric reflux can result in stomach acid leaking out into places its not wanted, your stomachs acidity can end up lower than is optimal for digesting food.
Drinking apple cider vinegar can help improve the levels and ease an upset stomach. This assumes that youre able to, well, stomach the drink in the first place. While apple cider vinegar does its work best if taken raw, you may find mixing it with water, a teaspoon of honey, and sipping slowly to be the more tolerable option.
- Add one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to one cup of warm water.
- Mix in one tablespoon of honey.
- Drink this remedy every three hours until pain is gone.
What Can I Do To Manage My Symptoms
- Apply heat on your abdomen for 20 to 30 minutes every 2 hours for as many days as directed. Heat helps decrease pain and muscle spasms.
- Make changes to the food you eat, if needed. Do not eat foods that cause abdominal pain or other symptoms. Eat small meals more often. The following changes may also help:
- Eat more high-fiber foods if you are constipated. High-fiber foods include fruits, vegetables, whole-grain foods, and legumes.
- Do not eat foods that cause gas if you have bloating. Examples include broccoli, cabbage, and cauliflower. Do not drink soda or carbonated drinks. These may also cause gas.
- Do not eat foods or drinks that contain sorbitol or fructose if you have diarrhea and bloating. Some examples are fruit juices, candy, jelly, and sugar-free gum.
- Do not eat high-fat foods. Examples include fried foods, cheeseburgers, hot dogs, and desserts.
- Limit or do not have caffeine. Caffeine may make symptoms, such as heart burn or nausea, worse.
- Drink more liquids to prevent dehydration from diarrhea or vomiting. Ask your healthcare provider how much liquid to drink each day and which liquids are best for you.
You May Like: Is It Possible To Tighten Loose Stomach Skin
Have A Bowl Of Yogurt
Yogurt might not seem like an obvious remedy for stomach problems, but if you want to know how to get rid of cramps, a bowl of plain, regular yogurt might do the trick. Thats because yogurt is full of probiotics that can restore balance to your gut, improving your digestion.
Go for plain yogurt rather than the sweetened kind, since sugar can upset your stomach and throw off your balance of gut bacteria even more. If you cant stomach the taste of plain yogurt, drizzle a little honey over the top or mix in a few berries.
Get the freshest yogurt you can find. For long-term relief, make yogurt part of your diet every day.
Aleve: Cures Stomach Ache
- Brand name Bayers Aleve
- Composition Naproxen sodium
- Popularity level 5
- Aleve is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication that is available over the counter. OTC Aleve comes in caplets, tablets, gelcaps, and liquid gels. It can be used to relieve pain from menstrual cramps.
- Aleve is generally taken every 8 to 12 hours.
- Price A pack containing 320 capsules of the medicine costs around $25
Lime Or Lemon Juice Baking Soda And Water
Some studies suggest that mixing lime or lemon juice in water with a pinch of baking soda can help to relieve a variety of digestive complaints.
This mixture produces carbonic acid, which may help to reduce gas and indigestion. It may also improve liver secretion and intestinal mobility. The acidity and other nutrients in lime or lemon juice can help to digest and absorb fats and alcohol while neutralizing bile acids and reducing acidity in the stomach.
Most traditional recipes recommend mixing the following quantities:
- 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon or lime juice
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 8 oz of clean water
Remedies And Treatments For Upset Stomach And Diarrhea
Upset Stomach Remedies
Most stomach ailments can be treated at home. As soon as you start feeling sick, begin limiting your diet to clear liquids in frequent, small amounts. Make sure to drink enough fluids to keep your urine clear or a pale yellow.
If youâre not able to keep liquids down and begin to vomit, start with sips of water or sucking on ice chips. Once you are able to keep that down, try other fluids like:
- Clear soup broth or bouillon
- Clear soft-drinks like 7-Up, Sprite, or Ginger Ale
- Juices like apple, grape, cherry, or cranberry
Once you are able to keep all liquids down, try some solid foods along with the liquids. Good foods to try are:
- White rice
- White toast
It may take several days to one week to regain your appetite, energy level, and for your bowels to regain normalcy.
Diarrhea TreatmentsMost cases of diarrhea clear on their own within a couple of days without treatment. If you’ve tried lifestyle changes and home remedies for an upset stomach and diarrhea without success, your doctor might recommend the following:
Antibiotics might help treat diarrhea caused by bacteria or parasites. If a virus is causing your diarrhea, antibiotics won’t help. Alternatively, if your doctor determines that antibiotics are whatâs causing your diarrhea, they will likely lower the dose or switch to another medication.
Treatment to Replace Fluids
Treating underlying conditions
Upset Stomach and Diarrhea Prevention
Recommended Reading: What Can I Give My Toddler For Upset Stomach
Chamomile Tea To Cure Stomach Pain
Chamomile tea is known to work as an anti-inflammatory along the digestive tract.
If your stomach pain is caused by gastritis or indigestion, a cup of chamomile can offer relief. It does this by relaxing muscles along the stomach and the esophagus, easing the contractions that push food along, and lessens any cramps or spasms you are experiencing.
- Place one teaspoon of dried chamomile in one cup of boiled water.
- Cover and allow to steep for 15 minutes.
- Strain tea and add lemon or honey for taste.
- Drink up to three cups daily
Who May Not Be Able To Take Buscopan
Buscopan is not suitable for some people.
Check with your doctor or pharmacist before taking Buscopan if you:
- ever had an allergic reaction to Buscopan or any other medicine
- a rare type of glaucoma called acute angle closure glaucoma
- a very enlarged bowel
- myasthenia gravis
- a condition where your bowel is blocked and does not work properly, such as paralytic ileus
- are 40 years or over
- are pregnant, trying to get pregnant or breastfeeding
- have recently passed blood in your poo
- are feeling or being sick
- have lost your appetite or lost weight
- are feeling tired and looking paler than usual
- have unusual vaginal bleeding or vaginal discharge
- think you may have food poisoning
- have a very fast heart rate or any other heart problems
- have difficulty or pain when peeing
- have digestive problems such as heartburn and acid reflux, severe constipation or ulcerative colitis
Also Check: Where Is My Baby At 17 Weeks In My Stomach
Ranitidine: Cures Stomach Ache Due To Hyperacidity
- Brand name Zantac 75
- Popularity level 6
- Ranitidine is known as an H2 blocker. It works by reducing the amount of acid in your stomach. It is used to prevent and treat heartburn and other symptoms caused by too much acid in the stomach .
- Dosage To treat heartburn and acid indigestion, take 1 tablet with a glass of water as needed unless otherwise directed by your doctor. Swallow the tablet whole without chewing. Ranitidine can be taken with or without food.
- To prevent heartburn and acid indigestion, take ranitidine 30-60 minutes before eating food or drinking beverages that can cause indigestion.
- Price The cost for Zantac 75 oral tablet 75 mg is around $16 for a supply of 30 tablets.
If No Irritation Is Found How Is Dyspepsia Treated
A patients treatment will depend on symptoms. Findings during the workup and tailored to the specific situation, which may include:
- Dietary changes: Avoiding large, fatty meals and any foods that make symptoms worse
- Acid-blocking medicines: Proton pump inhibitors such as omeprazole , esomeprazole , lansoprazole , dexlansoprazole , pantoprazole , etc…
- Histamine blockers: Ranitidine , famotidine , cimetidine , etc…
- H. pylori treatment: Combination of specific antibiotics and acid-blocking medicines
- Pain medicines: Low doses of certain antidepressant medications such as amitriptyline or nortriptyline.
Other times a nerve pain medicine, called gabapentin, or medicines that speed up gastric emptying may be used. Complementary medicines, such as peppermint or caraway, might also be tried, though they have much less research behind them. Very rarely, narcotics are used because of concerns about the side effects including addiction and constipation.
Sometimes, depending on the case, additional workup is reasonable if the patient has no response to treatments.
Also Check: How To Clear Stomach Gas
When Should I Seek Immediate Care
- You vomit blood or cannot stop vomiting.
- You have blood in your bowel movement, or it looks like tar.
- You have bleeding from your rectum.
- Your abdomen is larger than usual, more painful, and hard.
- You have severe pain in your abdomen.
- You stop passing gas and having bowel movements.
- You feel weak, dizzy, or faint.
Famotidine: Cures Stomach Ache Due To Hyperacidity
- Brand name Pepcid AC
- Popularity level 6
- Famotidine is used to treat ulcers of the stomach and intestines and to prevent intestinal ulcers from coming back after they have healed. This medication is also used to treat certain stomach and throat problems . It works by decreasing the amount of acid your stomach makes. It relieves symptoms such as cough that doesnt go away, stomach pain, heartburn, and difficulty swallowing. Famotidine belongs to a class of drugs known as H2 blockers.
- Dosage Take this medication by mouth with or without food as directed by your doctor, usually once or twice daily. If you are taking this medication once daily, it is usually taken at bedtime.
- Price The cost for Pepcid AC oral tablet 10 mg is around $28 for a supply of 90 tablets.
Recommended Reading: Is Yogurt Good For Upset Stomach
How Is Gastroenteritis Treated
The main treatment for gastroenteritis is rest, fluids, and limiting your diet for a few days while you have symptoms. For example:
- Limit your intake of solid foods
- Avoid alcohol, caffeine, and dairy products
- Stop smoking or using products containing nicotine
- Avoid sugary, fatty or highly seasoned foods, instead eat bland, dry foods such as crackers, toast, rice or potatoes
- Take frequent small sips of liquid
- Avoid taking medications that may irritate your stomach further such as NSAIDs . Acetaminophen may be used instead, but sparingly
- Continue breastfeeding if your baby has gastroenteritis and talk to your doctor about offering them rehydration solutions or regular formula.
Consider anti-diarrhea medications to slow the diarrhea
Antibiotics are generally not given for most cases of gastroenteritis because they are ineffective if a virus is the cause and contribute to the development of antibiotic-resistant strains of bacteria.
Symptoms Of Abdominal Pain In Adults
The type of pain can vary greatly. When abdominal pain occurs, it can:
- be sharp, dull, stabbing, cramp-like, twisting or fit many other descriptions
- be brief, come and go in waves, or it can be constant
- make you throw up
- make you want to stay still or make you so restless that you pace around trying to find just the right position
- vary from a minor problem to one needing urgent surgery.
You May Like: Does Holding Your Stomach In Help You Lose Weight