What Is The Cause Of Lower Abdominal Pain
Some of the most common causes of lower abdominal pain include:
- Diverticulitis the inflammation or infection of the walls of the intestines.
- Gas- feels like a pressure in your abdomen and includes burping and flatulence.
- Lactose Intolerance the inability to fully digest lactose found in dairy.
- Celiac Disease Triggered response of the body to gluten- found in wheat, barley, and rye.
- IBD term describing any chronic inflammation of the digestive tract.
- Indigestion- pain from indigestion in the lower abdomen is rare and due to the buildup of acid following eating.
- IBS- common disorder of the large intestine.
- Constipation inability and/or difficulty to pass stool.
- Hernia- when another body part or organ pushes into the abdominal wall.
- Bowel Obstruction- Prevention of digested material from passing through the bowel.
- Appendicitis- Inflammation of the appendix. Could feel like a dull pain in the abdomen that moves to the lower right abdomen and grows sharper.
- Flu- infection of the intestines. Could be characterized by cramping, nausea, and fever.
When To See A Doctor About Abdominal Pain
Go straight to your doctor or the emergency department of the nearest hospital if you have any of:
- severe pain
- pain lasting for several hours
- pain and/or vaginal bleeding if you are pregnant
- pain in your scrotum if you are a male
- pain and vomiting or shortness of breath
- pain and vomiting blood
- blood in your bowel motions or urine
- pain that spreads to your chest, neck or shoulder
- fever and sweats
- unable to move your bowels or pass gas
- any other concerns.
Noninfectious Forms Of Hepatitis
You may be able to reduce your risk of noninfectious forms of hepatitis:
- To prevent nonalcoholic steatohepatitis , maintain a healthy lifestyle and treat NASH risk factors, such as , high blood pressure, and obesity.
- To prevent alcoholic hepatitis, keep alcohol consumption to a minimum. For males, that means no more than two drinks per day; for females, no more than one drink per day. If you drink a lot and are struggling with quitting or cutting back, talk with a licensed healthcare provider or an addiction about effective ways to curb your drinking habit.
- To prevent toxic hepatitis, do not take more than the recommended dose of medications and supplements, do not take anabolic steroids, and protect yourself if you work with chemicals known to injure the liver, including vinyl chloride, polychlorinated biphenyls, and the herbicide paraquat. If you develop toxic hepatitis, stopping your exposure to or use of the substance will usually resolve symptoms.
Recommended Reading: How To Lose Just Stomach Fat
When Stomach Pain Is An Emergency
Stomach pain can be caused by a life-threatening condition, such as appendicitis, bowel obstruction , or a bowel perforation .
These emergencies usually cause very noticeable and often intolerable signs and symptoms. Your stomach pain is probably a sign of an urgent medical problem if:
- You are pregnant
- Your pain started within a week of having abdominal surgery or a gastrointestinal procedure
- You have ever had a gastric bypass, a colostomy, or a bowel resection
- Your pain started shortly after you experienced severe abdominal trauma
- Your abdomen appears bruised or is rapidly expanding in size
Your stomach pain may be mild in the beginning, and then you may develop associated symptoms after a few hours. You should get help immediately if you develop any of the following symptoms along with your stomach pain:
- Abdomen is extremely hard
- Inability to have a bowel movement accompanied by vomiting
- Pain in neck, shoulder or between shoulder blades
- Vision changes
Different Types Of Stomach Pain And How To Treat Them
Having a tummy ache is one of the most common human medical experiences. Whether from eating too much junk food as a kid or acquiring some kind of virus, we all know what its like to suddenly be racked with stomach problems. Its also pretty universally understood that not all stomach pain is the same. By considering the type and location and severity of the pain, and by noting any accompanying symptoms, its possible to narrow down the possible causes. Below are 8 different kinds of stomach pain that range from relatively common to relatively rare:;
You May Like: Does Lung Cancer Cause Stomach Pain
How Is The Cause Of Abdominal Pain Diagnosed
If you are experiencing abdominal pain, you will need a physical examination and possibly some tests to help your doctor diagnose the cause of the pain. The examination or tests you have will depend on what sort of pain you are experiencing, how long you have had it, and your gender. If you are female, the physical examination may include a pelvic exam and pregnancy test. If you are a male, the examination may include checking your penis and scrotum.
The most common tests include:
- x-rays or CT scans
- ultrasound, in which a probe-like microphone is moved over your abdomen
- endoscopy or colonoscopy, in which a long tube is put either down your mouth or into your back passage , while you are under anaesthetic, so a doctor can see what your stomach and bowel look like
Upper Stomach Pain: When Is It Serious
Stomach pain passes on its own in a matter of days. However, persistent pain or additional symptoms may signal something serious and urgent. Seek immediate medical attention if the patient is experiencing the following:;
- Stools are bloody, pale, black and tarry, or white
- Persistent vomiting, with blood
- Pain so severe that the patient cant move
- Abdominal pain is accompanied by fever;
- Pain is severe in the upper right abdomen;
- Signs of dehydration are apparent
- Pain that occurs frequently in short, sharp bursts
Read Also: How To Get Rid Of Stomach And Thigh Fat
What Are The Potential Complications Of Hepatitis
Complications of untreated or poorly controlled hepatitis can be serious and fatal. You can help minimize your risk of serious complications by following the treatment plan that you and your healthcare professional design specifically for you.
Complications of hepatitis include:
- Fibrosis of the liver
- Hepatic encephalopathy
- Liver cancer
Stomach Pain And Long
Because of the extra acid in your stomach and the changes to the way your body processes nutrients, the stomach pain from anxiety can be a problem if left untreated. Ulcers are just one example. Some people experience heartburn from anxiety, and others eat less often, giving their body fewer nutrients.
The stomach pain from anxiety and stress is rarely dangerous, but it is still important to treat it, because the effects on your long-term health when it is left untreated may be harder to manage.
You May Like: How To Improve Stomach Acid
Why Does My Upper Abdomen Hurt When I Cough
A bacterial infection can lead to pain in the upper abdomen that is worsened by coughing. The most notable kind of bacterial infection that can cause upper abdominal pain is pneumonia, which causes the air sacs to become inflamed and filled with fluid or pus. A hernia could also cause pain while coughing in the upper abdomen.
Pancreas Or Liver Disease
Our digestive system works with the support of the liver, gallbladder, and pancreas that are located on the upper-right side of the stomach. Liver diseases such as untreated gallstones and hepatitis can cause pain. Inflammation of the pancreas, also known as pancreatitis, may also lead to pain.
Some other symptoms may include dark urine, vomiting, pale or white bowel movement, persistent and worsening pain, yellow skin or eyes, and nausea.
Don’t Miss: How To Get Fat Removed From Stomach
How Is Hepatitis Treated
There is no specific treatment for liver damage, but treating the underlying cause, such as infection, can prevent or stop further damage. The liver has the capacity to regenerate damaged tissue, but it takes time. Left untreated, continued damage and regeneration changes the structure of the liver and is the basis of cirrhosis.
For any form of hepatitis, you should stop drinking alcohol. Also, discontinue use of drugs, medications and supplements that may further damage the liver, such as acetaminophen and drugs that increase your risk of bleeding, such as aspirin. Only take essential medicine under your doctors guidance.
Some types of hepatitis can only be treated with general supportive measures, such as getting rest and drinking plenty of fluids until the disease runs its course. For autoimmune hepatitis, doctors typically prescribe medication to suppress the immune system. For toxic hepatitis, including alcoholic hepatitis, discontinuing your use or exposure to the substance will relieve symptoms.
Who Is Most Often Affected
People who are most likely to experience pain in the upper left abdomen include:
- Drinkers: Five or more alcoholic drinks per day can damage the pancreas
- Anyone with high triglyceride levels
- Anyone taking large amounts of prescription medication
- Anyone using illicit drugs
Pain may get worse after eating a large meal, especially one high in fat.
Don’t Miss: How Do I Get Rid Of Stomach Acid
Are There Foods That Reduce Stomach Pain
Anxiety-related stomach pain is not usually the result of your diet , so there arent necessarily any dietary changes that can help reduce stomach pain.
That said, those with panic attacks are more prone to experiencing more severe stomach discomfort, even when no anxiety is present. In other words, when you have panic attacks, its possible to have stomach pain even without a panic attack.
Also, those with anxiety attacks and severe anxiety are prone to whats known as over-sensitization. That means that they are more likely to notice and feel smaller, normal changes in the body, and these can trigger an anxiety attack. So if your diet does contain foods that cause you gas, stomach discomfort, or mild indigestion, it may be best to avoid them because the slight amount of discomfort could feel worse than it should and may trigger a panic attack.
Thats why healthy eating is important in those that get stomach pain with anxiety. Make sure youre getting:
- Whole-Grain Carbohydrates
Also, if you suffer from stress-induced hyperacidity, then it is recommended that you consume dairy products and non-spicy foods. In moderate amounts, over-the-counter antacids may be needed as well.
In addition, if possible, try to avoid eating until youre too full. Those with severe anxiety sometimes interpret the full feeling as pain, and this could trigger a panic attack and further pain.
Severe Stomach Pain After Eating A Fatty Meal
If you find yourself doubled over after eating a high-fat meal, you may be experiencing a gallbladder attack. “Women are especially prone to gallbladder disease,” says Hardeep Singh, MD, gastroenterologist from St. Joseph Hospital, Orange, CA. “Overweight women in their 40s are at highest risk.” The pain becomes worse after eating, lasts 30 to 60 minutes, and may come and go, becoming more constant and severe over time, says Singh.
Also Check: What To Do For Stomach Acid Pain
When It’s Not An Emergency
If your stomach pain is not severe, persistent, or associated with concerning symptoms like those already discussed, it is likely to resolve on its own. Abdominal pain is usually caused by minor problems such as constipation, trapped gas, or eating something that didn’t agree with you, like a high dairy meal or a spice that you aren’t used to.
Waiting a few hours, having a bowel movement, or passing gas usually helps. There are a few things you can do so that you can be more comfortable and to;help relieve your symptoms as your pain resolves:
- Limit yourself to clear liquids for a few hours.
- If you experience vomiting and/or diarrhea, stick with the BRAT diet and other mild foods until your symptoms start to subside.
- Avoid foods that are tough on the digestive system, such as food that is high in fat, fried foods, spicy foods, and drinks containing alcohol or caffeine.
- Try an over-the-counter antacid or gas-relieving product.
- Try to have a bowel movement. Often, eating raw fruit, vegetables, beans, or high-fiber cereal can help.
- Use a hot water bottle or heating pad. This may help to soothe your pain. Place the pad on your abdomen for half-hour intervals and be sure to use a towel under the pad to protect your skin.
Your symptoms may completely improve within one to two days. If they do not, call your doctor’s office for advice.
What Is Upper Stomach Pain
Upper stomach pain is a common ailment among adults and children. Your intestines, liver, pancreas, and gallbladder are all found in your upper stomach. Because of this, the list of potential causes of upper stomach pain is long. Indigestion, heartburn, gas, or a common stomach virus can cause pain in your upper stomach.;
Causes for upper stomach pain range from benign to life-threatening, so it is important to consult with a doctor if you are experiencing stomach pain. The ailment can cause severe discomfort, but there are several steps you can take to alleviate upper stomach pain.;
You May Like: Is Stage 3 Stomach Cancer Curable
Diagnosing Abdominal Pain And Diarrhea
To determine the cause of abdominal pain and diarrhea, your doctor will first perform a physical exam. Theyll also ask some questions about your health history and lifestyle. Traveling to certain countries may increase your risks of digestive disease. Be sure to mention any recent trips overseas. The doctor will also ask questions about any recent changes in your diet.
Your doctor may perform a stool culture, in which theyll send a sample of your feces to a lab to check for bacteria, viruses, and parasites. If this comes up negative, they may run a more complete analysis of your feces to look for possible digestive disorders.
Other common diagnostic tests include:
Endoscopy: In an endoscopy, a doctor sends a camera down your throat and into your stomach to check for problems, such as ulcers and signs of celiac disease.
Colonoscopy: A colonoscopy involves sending a camera into the rectum and intestines to check for signs of damage and signs of disease, such as ulcers and polyps.
Lower GI tract radiography: In a lower GI tract radiography, a technician will perform a real-time X-ray of the abdomen. This occurs after your doctor injects a barium-based contrast material into the rectum to check for intestinal obstructions and other conditions.
Medical treatments can help address the underlying condition causing your abdominal pain and diarrhea. If your symptoms are caused by stress or need to be managed, home remedies can help.
Kidney Pain After Drinking Alcohol Home Remedies
Local pancreatic complications are possible also you can also develop diabetes because the pancreas is the tissue from where you get your insulin. If you dont have insulin then you develop diabetes. Not only that repeated infection of the pancreas can lead to infections and possible.
There is some evidence that possible pancreatic cancer also which is very very dangerous. Sometimes there are causes as you can avoid and sometimes it causes that you cannot avoid but if there is something that you can do that can prevent you from getting medical problems and diseases then you should try to avoid anything that can cause you harm.
I Hope You Will Like Our Article On Upper Stomach Pain Immediately After Drinking Alcohol PANCREATITIS. Please This With Your Friends And Family.
For More Such Content
Some problems like high triglyceride you may have a family problem with that but you can control that with medication and diet. but this is so many of you coming in with pancreatitis who do not take their medications properly will not control their diet and their pancreas really gets damaged over the years.
Some people have gall stones that come down and block the depth of the pancreas and that can lead to inflammation of the pancreas and pancreatitis. so that can be picked up and that can be dealt with largely surgically. but in cases where its due to alcohol, it is definitely preventable. and prevention with all of these birds and the cure.
Read Also: How Do I Get Rid Of Stomach Fat Fast
Can Stress Cause Stomach Pain
Anxiety and stress are closely related. But they are technically different conditions. It is possible to experience a significant amount of stress without experiencing anxiety. Yet the causes of stomach pain from stress are similar. Muscle tension, digestive issues all of these are also caused by stress and may contribute to stomach pain.
What Is Abdominal Pain Symptoms Causes Diagnosis Treatment And Prevention
Most people experience abdominal discomfort or pain at some point in their lives. Abdominal pain is usually felt in the part of the trunk below the ribs, above the pelvis and the groin. It can range in intensity from a mild ache to severe, disabling pain.
While abdominal pain isnt normal, it isnt necessarily serious, and it often resolves itself.
Read Also: Is Pedialyte Good For Upset Stomach
Signs And Symptoms Of Abdominal Pain
Abdominal pain may take several different forms. In addition to how severe it is, abdominal pain can be described in the following ways:
Generalized Pain This refers to pain felt in more than half of your abdominal area, and is typical of stomach viruses, indigestion, or gas as the cause of your pain.
Cramping This type of pain come and goes, or changes in its severity or perceived position in your abdomen. Cramping is rarely serious and is typical of gas, passing a stool, or menstruation as the cause of your pain.
Its important to call your doctor if your abdominal pain is so severe that you cant move without feeling more pain, or sit still in a comfortable position.
- Nausea and vomiting that doesnt resolve
- Weight loss
- Abdomen very tender to touch
- Swollen abdomen