Chamomile May Reduce Vomiting And Soothe Intestinal Discomfort
Chamomile, an herbal plant with small white flowers, is a traditional remedy for upset stomachs.
Chamomile can be dried and brewed into a tea or taken by mouth as a supplement.
Historically, chamomile has been used for a variety of intestinal troubles, including gas, indigestion, diarrhea, nausea and vomiting .
Yet despite its widespread use, only a limited number of studies support its effectiveness for digestive complaints.
One small study found that chamomile supplements reduced the severity of vomiting after chemotherapy treatments, but its unclear whether it would have the same effects on other types of vomiting .
An animal study found that chamomile extracts relieved diarrhea in mice by reducing intestinal spasms and decreasing the amount of water secreted into the stool, but more research is needed to see if this applies to humans .
Chamomile is also commonly used in herbal supplements that relieve indigestion, gas, bloating and diarrhea, as well as colic in babies .
However, since chamomile is combined with many other herbs in these formulas, its difficult to know whether the beneficial effects are from chamomile or from a combination of the other herbs.
Although the gut-soothing effects of chamomile are widely recognized, research has not yet shown how it helps to relieve stomach upset.
Chamomile is a commonly used remedy for stomach and intestinal discomfort, but more research is needed to understand how it works.
How Do I Know If My Stomach Pain Is Serious
According to the National Health Service, a person should seek immediate medical attention if their stomach ache is very severe or has a sudden onset.
People should contact a healthcare professional immediately if they notice other symptoms, such as vomiting blood, having difficulty passing urine or feces, chest pain, difficulty breathing, and jaundice.
How To Handle Your Upset Stomach
An upset stomach does not require medical attention in most cases. Pain or discomfort from an upset stomach is typically acute and will go away on its own, or with home treatment. However, its important to realize that many different things can cause an upset stomach or stomach pain. Be aware of these causes, find out how to treat an upset stomach, and learn when to speak to a medical professional.
Recommended Reading: How To Lose Stomach Fat After Pregnancy
How Do You Get Rid Of A Stomach Ache In 5 Minutes
Over the counter medical treatment
- For gas-related pain, OTC medication like Mylanta, Gas-X can help get rid of gas and bloating.
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease can cause stomach ache and burning sensation , an antacid or acid reducer like Pepcid AC or Zantac 75 can help.
- For constipation, a mild OTC stool softener or laxative can help relieve constipation in most cases.
- Abdominal cramps can occur due to diarrhea. Medicines like Pepto-Bismol, which contains loperamide or bismuth subsalicylate, can help reduce diarrhea and cramps.
- Pain relievers, such as Paracetamol, Ibuprofen, can help reduce the abdominal pain and the pain of cramps caused due to several conditions. It may be combined with anti-cramping medications.
Lifestyle and home remedies
- Anti-inflammatory foods:
- Eating foods that have anti-inflammatory properties can reduce abdominal pain. These foods include blueberries, squash, cherries, capsicum, tomatoes, cold-water fish that are high in omega-3 fatty acids, beans, green leafy vegetables, and almonds. These foods also improve overall body health. It’s advised to incorporate these foods in the diet throughout the year, instead of just during the periods. Sugary food, fried and fatty foods, white bread or pasta, alcohol, caffeine, and tobacco can increase cramps.
Nsaid Drugs And Stomach Ulcers
A group of painkillers known as NSAIDs carries a risk of stomach ulcers. The two best-known NSAIDs are aspirin and ibuprofen.
The risk of ulcers increases if the drugs are taken in high doses, or regularly for a long time.
Stronger NSAIDs, such as those that need a prescription, are riskier for stomach ulcers than those that can be bought over-the-counter .
People should always check labels and talk to a pharmacist or a doctor about any concerns with using painkillers. They may recommend an alternative such as acetaminophen.
You May Like: How To Get Rid Of Stomach Hair For Females
How To Treat A Dogs Upset Stomach: Home Remedies And Tips
Posted: 02/25/2022 | BY: Erin Cain | Categories:
There are many reasons why a dog might have an upset stomach. It could be from eating something they shouldnt have or drinking unclean water. Sometimes its simply a result of anxiety or stress. Whatever the reason, there are some home remedies that you can use to help your dogs stomach feel better. Lets discuss some of the most effective methods for treating an upset stomach in dogs.
When Should Your Dog See The Vet
Occasional vomiting or diarrhea in dogs is not uncommon. Most cases will improve within a day, but if these symptoms are present for more than 48 hours, then you should consult your vet immediately. When digestive upsets occur frequently or with intensity, the dogs condition could worsen quickly due to dehydration. Do not hesitate to take your pup to the vet if stomach issues come on suddenly or violently.
If your dog exhibits these serious symptoms, take her straight to a veterinary hospital or emergency facility for medical attention:
- continuous diarrhea and/or vomiting
- foreign objects in vomit or stool
- nervous pacing and whining
You know your pup best, but its always better to be safe than sorry when it comes to our furkids. See a vet right away if your dog is in distress!
Don’t Miss: Does Fibromyalgia Cause Stomach Pain
When To Contact A Clinician
Persistent or severe abdominal pain, especially if unrelieved by vomiting or passing a bowel movement
Fever greater than 101 degrees F, not relieved by acetaminophen, or any fever that lasts more than three days
Vomiting or diarrhea without any improvement for more 24 hours
Blood in vomit or stools
No urination for more than 8 hours, or painful urination
Dogs Commonly Experience Upset Stomachs And There Are Many Natural Remedies That Can Help
What to give a dog for upset stomach There are many natural remedies for upset stomachs in dogs, and it is important to find one that works for your pet. Some of the most common remedies include eating yogurt, drinking fluids, and taking over-the-counter medications such as Pepto-Bismol or ibuprofen. It is also helpful to keep a list of home remedies handy in case of an emergency. Preparation Before trying any of these remedies on your dog, it is important to determine the cause of the upset stomach. For example, if your dog has been vomiting for a few days, then you may have an underlying medical issue.
Best Home Remedies For Upset Stomach
Upset stomach or indigestion is very common nowadays! Everyone suffers from this one or another day. Also, there is nothing more uncomfortable than an upset stomach. This feeling of stomach discomfort increased now may be due to lack of physical activity. The covid-19 pandemic has given a sudden break to our life including our physical activity. The new culture of work disturbed our daily routine somehow. That is one of the causes that most of us facing stomach upset problem daily basis.
In medical terms, an upset stomach is also called dyspepsia that describes discomfort in your upper abdomen. An upset stomach is not a disorder but a bunch of digestive disorder symptoms that make you uncomfortable. It can also be a symptom of another digestive tract disease.
What Causes Stomach Upset In Dogs
There are a variety of reasons why dogs suffer from an upset stomach. Some of the more benign triggers could be linked to an abrupt change in appetite, overeating, or simply not eating enough. In both cases, a pups stomach can become irritated and cause illness. Here are some of the common causes for dogs upset stomachs.
Also Check: What Does Probiotics Do For The Stomach
Your Stomach Is Sensitive To Coffees Acids
Our digestive systems run on acids. Theyre the fuel of the machine that breaks down what we consume. Weve got to have them!
However, too much gastric acid can be a problem, causing some not-so-fun symptoms.
Most of these issues manifest in the form of bloating, belching, and general discomfort. Though considered mild symptoms, theyre quite annoying.
Many articles out there claim that drinking coffee can lead to acid reflux, an involuntary series of muscle movements that send gastric acid up into the esophagus. However, this connection has long been disproven .
If you find yourself with similar discomforts when you drink acidic drinks like fruit juice or alcohol, its worth cutting out acidic foods and drinks for a few days to see if you notice a difference.
If acid seems to be the issue, heres what you can do to still enjoy your coffee:
- Find low-acidity, stomach friendly coffees. If it seems youre only slightly sensitive but you still want to try reducing acids, opt for coffee beans that are known to be lower on the acidity scale. Coffees grown at low altitudes typically have lower acid levels.
- Cold brew. Cold brewing coffee in cold water reduces the acid levels of the final drink as much as 66%. Once youve brewed the concentrate, you can still cut it with hot water to enjoy a hot mug like normal.
Its the caffeine that really upsets most stomachs.
Licorice Can Reduce Indigestion And May Help Prevent Stomach Ulcers
Licorice is a popular remedy for indigestion and may also prevent painful stomach ulcers.
Traditionally, licorice root was consumed whole. Today, its most commonly taken as a supplement called deglycyrrhizinated licorice .
DGL is preferred over regular licorice root because it no longer contains glycyrrhizin, a naturally occurring chemical in licorice that can cause fluid imbalances, high blood pressure and low potassium levels when consumed in large quantities (
Ground flaxseed meal and flaxseed oil can help regulate bowel movements and relieve constipation in humans. Animal studies suggest they may also prevent stomach ulcers and intestinal spasms, but more research is needed.
You May Like: How Can I Rebuild My Stomach Lining
When To See A Doctor For A Stomach Ache
If your symptoms are persistent and you’re having ongoing abdominal pain, it’s best to see your doctor rather than continuing to take these meds to rule out serious conditions.
Also, if your stomach ache is accompanied by nausea, vomiting, and fever, Gagneja says you should seek medical attention as soon as possible instead of trying to mask the symptoms with OTC medications. These symptoms could be a sign of appendicitis, which must be treated by a doctor.
Keep in mind that OTC medications are just band-aids for relieving symptoms. They are not designed to address any serious underlying condition, such as inflammatory bowel disease , celiac disease, ulcers, or cancer, Gagneja says. This is why it’s not recommended to take these medications long-term if symptoms are persisting.
“If people keep on taking these symptom relief over the counter meds, then those diseases can be missed,” says Gagneja.
The 12 Best Foods For An Upset Stomach
We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Heres our process.
Almost everyone gets an upset stomach from time to time.
Common symptoms include nausea, indigestion, vomiting, bloating, diarrhea or constipation.
There are many potential reasons for an upset stomach and treatments vary depending on the underlying cause.
Thankfully, a variety of foods can settle an upset stomach and help you feel better, faster.
Here are the 12 best foods for an upset stomach.
You May Like: Can You Take Advil On An Empty Stomach
When To Seek Professional Help For Upset Stomach
If your stomach ache is persistent with no signs of improvement and lasts for more than several days, it is time to get professional help as this may be a sign of a more serious ailment that requires immediate medical attention.
Sudden and severe stomach aches can be the root cause of serious problems that may worsen if medical help is not sought immediately. You should see your doctor immediately, especially if the pain has been concentrated in a single area. Some of the reasons for stomach ache are as follows:
Read more about: Best Natural Anti-Inflammatory Foods to Add In Your Diet
Disclaimer: The information included at this site is for educational purposes only and is not intended to be a substitute for medical treatment by a health care professional. Because of unique individual needs, the reader should consult their physician to determine the appropriateness of the information for the readers situation.
If It’s Acid Reflux: Try Baking Soda In Water
Got acid indigestion and you’ve run out of antacids? Try mixing ½ teaspoon of baking soda with 4 ounces of water for a homemade antacid tonic that should help neutralize acid reflux within minutes. Baking soda, also known as sodium bicarbonate, chemically reacts to acids on contact, neutralizing them and producing carbon dioxide as a byproduct. Antacids don’t stop acid reflux per se, but they help make sure that the pH of the reflux is non-acid, which should make it a whole lot less painful.
Related: Natural Ways to Prevent Heartburn
Recommended Reading: How To Lose Your Stomach In 10 Days
How To Soothe A Childs Stomach Ache
Stomach aches are common in children. Whether its from indigestion, constipation, or even a viral infection, most stomach aches in kids are not serious and symptoms will usually resolve on their own.
You can try soothing your childs stomach ache with one of these home remedies:
- Make your child lie face down and let them rest until their stomach pain resolves.
- Apply a warm compress or heating pad on their stomach.
- If the stomach ache is caused by spicy food, try giving them vanilla ice cream.
- If the stomach ache is caused by constipation, try giving them yogurt.
- Give them sips of warm water to drink.
- Avoid carbonated, caffeinated, fatty, or sweetened liquids, such as sodas, tea, coffee, milk, and sports drinks.
- If your child asks for a soft drink, choose one without caffeine. Shake the fizz out before serving.
- Initially, put your child on a liquid diet. Offer them clear fluids, such as water, fruit juices mixed with water, ginger ale, or a simple broth.
- As the pain starts to go away, you can introduce bland foods to your childs diet, such as plain bread, dry toast, rice, banana, and saltine crackers.
- Encourage them to go to the bathroom for bowel movements.
- Fennel seed and simethicone drops may be available over-the-counter. You can try giving your child these drops in a recommended dose.
- Do not give your child pain medications without asking your childs pediatrician first.
What Is Nausea And Vomiting
Nausea and vomiting are not diseases, but rather are symptoms of many different conditions, such as infection , food poisoning, motion sickness, overeating, blocked intestine, illness, concussion or brain injury, appendicitis and migraines. Nausea and vomiting can sometimes be symptoms of more serious diseases such as heart attacks, kidney or liver disorders, central nervous system disorders, brain tumors, and some forms of cancer.
Recommended Reading: How To Lose Fat Off The Side Of Your Stomach
Is It Safe To Take Activated Charcoal
Unlike charcoal briquettes , activated charcoal is of food-grade quality and safe for human consumption.
Your body doesnt absorb activated charcoal. Instead, this compound stays within the gastrointestinal tract without changing its form. Eventually, it passes out of your body, along with the toxins that were present in your digestive system.
What Medications Help Indigestion
Indigestion caused by another health condition might improve with medication. Common medications for relief include:
- Antacids: These over-the-counter medications provide quick relief for acid reflux. They neutralize stomach acid.
- Antibiotics:Antibiotics treat bacterial infections like H. pylori.
- H2 blockers: These medications decrease the amount of acid your stomach produces. H2 blockers may help peptic ulcers.
- Proton pump inhibitors : PPIs decrease the acid in your stomach, but are usually only for people with heartburn.
You May Like: Is Prune Juice Good For Stomach Ulcers
What Can Be Done To Control Or Relieve Nausea And Vomiting
There are several ways to control or relieve nausea however, if these techniques do not seem to ease the queasiness, talk to your doctor.
When trying to control nausea:
- Drink clear or ice-cold drinks.
- Eat light, bland foods .
- Avoid fried, greasy, or sweet foods.
- Eat slowly and eat smaller, more frequent meals.
- Do not mix hot and cold foods.
- Drink beverages slowly.
- Avoid activity after eating.
- Avoid brushing your teeth after eating.
- Choose foods from all the food groups as you can tolerate them to get adequate nutrition.
Treatment for vomiting includes:
- Drinking gradually larger amounts of clear liquids
- Avoiding solid food until the vomiting episode has passed
- Temporarily discontinuing all oral medications, which can irritate the stomach and make vomiting worse
If vomiting and diarrhea last more than 24 hours, an oral rehydrating solution should be used to prevent and treat dehydration.
Vomiting associated with surgery, radiation therapy, anticancer drugs, alcohol and morphine can often be treated with another type of drug therapy. There are also prescription and nonprescription drugs that can be used to control vomiting associated with pregnancy, motion sickness and vertigo. However, you should consult with your healthcare provider before using these treatments.
Once You Feel Nauseated How Do You Prevent Vomiting
Vomiting can be prevented by consuming small amounts of clear, sweetened liquids such as soda pop, fruit juices and popsicles. Drinks containing sugar calm the stomach better than other liquids. Rest either in a sitting position or in a propped lying position. Activity may worsen nausea and may lead to vomiting.
For children, control persistent coughs and fever with over-the-counter medicines. To treat motion sickness in a car, seat your child so that he or she faces the front windshield .
Limit snacks, and do not serve sweet snacks with regular soda pop. Don’t let your kids eat and play at the same time. Encourage them to take a break during their snack time.
Also Check: How Much Coolsculpting Stomach Cost