Diagnosis Of Abdominal Pain In Adults
If examinations and tests are needed, these may include:
- a rectal exam to check for hidden blood or other problems
- if you are a man, the doctor may check your penis and scrotum
- if you are a woman, the doctor may do a pelvic exam to check for problems in your womb , fallopian tubes and ovaries, and do a pregnancy test
- a blood test to look for infection or bleeding
- other blood tests may look at enzymes in the liver, pancreas and heart to sort out which organ may be involved
- a urine test to look for a urine infection or blood
- an ECG to rule out a heart attack
- other tests, including x-ray, ultrasound or CT scan
- sometimes you may be referred to another doctor to help find the cause of the problem.
- endoscopy is an examination where a flexible tube with a light and video camera at the tip is used to examine some internal organs without the need for surgery. Different names are used depending on which organ is being looked at.
If you do have tests, the doctor will explain the results to you. Some results may take a number of days to come back and these will be sent to your local doctor.
Ginger Tea As A Stomach Pain Remedy
The anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties of ginger neutralize excess acids that cause stomach pain.
Drinking ginger tea may help to stimulate proper digestion by promoting the production of digestive juices while fighting harmful free radicals that cause disease.
Drink two to three cups of ginger tea daily.
- Cut one medium-sized ginger root into thin slices.
- Add the ginger to one cup of boiling water and boil for three minutes.
- Lower heat and simmer for five minutes.
- Strain and add honey for flavor.
If Your Stomach Hurts Because Youre Stressed
The remedy: Go for a walk
More From Prevention
It’s not unusual to feel your stomach doing flips before a first date, a big presentation at work, or another stressful event. “The gut-brain connection is very strong,” says Vijaya Rao, MD, a gastroenterologist and assistant professor at The University of Chicago Medicine. “When you’re stressed, the nerves in your GI tract become more hypersensitive, so you might get cramping or become nauseated.” It’s not always easy, but the best Rx really is to chill out. Go for a walk, talk to a friend, or do some deep breathing, Dr. Rao suggests.
Recommended Reading: How To Calm Down Stomach Acid
Why Make Yourself Fart
Because farting in public is generally frowned upon, why would you want to make yourself fart? It is completely normal for gas to build up in the digestive system and you have to release the gas in some way.
Gas, flatus, or abdominal wind is produced when foods break down in the gut. The National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases reports that your large intestine holds bacteria that break down undigested food. This can result in vapors forming in the gut that may or may not have a distinct and offensive smell when you fart.1
Another reason for a buildup of gas causing you to fart more is swallowing air. This can happen because of eating too fast, drinking fizzy drinks, chewing gum, or smoking. The NIDDK says that any air not expelled through the mouth eventually has to be passed out as gas.
According to Johns Hopkins Medical, some of the related symptoms of trapped intestinal gas are bloating, abdominal pain and discomfort, and belching. Thankfully, having gas is not a life-threatening condition however, being able to make yourself fart to release gas from your gut is usually the only way to get rid of discomfort from the abdominal pain.2
Researchers from the NIDDK say that health conditions can increase gas and make you break wind more. They highlighted irritable bowel syndrome, overgrowth of bacteria in the small intestine, gastroesophageal reflux , or certain food intolerances can cause flatulence.1
Your Stomach Hurts After Drinking Because Alcohol Can Damage The Inner Lining Of The Stomach Luckily Toast Yogurt Rest And Many Others Can Help
Stomachache after drinking alcohol is a common symptom experienced after binging drinking. Alcoholic drinks affect the gastrointestinal tract first, before the rest of the body. Chronic intake of alcohol can alter the structure and function of the gastrointestinal tract, leading to abdominal discomfort, stomachaches, heartburn, and acid reflux.
Stomach pain may also be a sign of something more serious than just a discomfort due to alcohol drinking. It is therefore important to know what the possible causes of the stomach pain are, how to treat it, and ways to prevent it.
Recommended Reading: How To Lose Flabby Stomach Fat
Duration Of Abdominal Pain
Abdominal pain can be brief or long-lasting, depending on its underlying cause. It can be ongoing or recurring, coming and going at what seem like random intervals or with certain activities or behaviors.
How long your abdominal pain lasts, or whether it comes and goes, doesnt necessarily correspond to how severe the underlying condition is.
How To Soothe A Childs Stomach Ache
Stomach aches are common in children. Whether its from indigestion, constipation, or even a viral infection, most stomach aches in kids are not serious and symptoms will usually resolve on their own.
You can try soothing your childs stomach ache with one of these home remedies:
- Make your child lie face down and let them rest until their stomach pain resolves.
- Apply a warm compress or heating pad on their stomach.
- If the stomach ache is caused by spicy food, try giving them vanilla ice cream.
- If the stomach ache is caused by constipation, try giving them yogurt.
- Give them sips of warm water to drink.
- Avoid carbonated, caffeinated, fatty, or sweetened liquids, such as sodas, tea, coffee, milk, and sports drinks.
- If your child asks for a soft drink, choose one without caffeine. Shake the fizz out before serving.
- Initially, put your child on a liquid diet. Offer them clear fluids, such as water, fruit juices mixed with water, ginger ale, or a simple broth.
- As the pain starts to go away, you can introduce bland foods to your childs diet, such as plain bread, dry toast, rice, banana, and saltine crackers.
- Encourage them to go to the bathroom for bowel movements.
- Fennel seed and simethicone drops may be available over-the-counter. You can try giving your child these drops in a recommended dose.
- Do not give your child pain medications without asking your childs pediatrician first.
Don’t Miss: How To Naturally Heal Stomach Lining
When To Call Your Healthcare Provider
Some kinds of stomach pain need immediate attention. With others, you can call or visit your healthcare provider. It can be hard to know what you should do. Listen to your body and trust your instincts if you’re not sure.
If you have any of these symptoms along with stomach pain, call your healthcare provider within one to two days:
- Fever for three days or longer
- Loss of appetite
- Pain that gets worse or doesn’t get better within one or two days
You should also call your healthcare provider if you have stomach pain while you are being treated for cancer.
Maintain Good Eating Habits
You can help your digestive system by simply changing how you eat, which, in turn, can improve your health. Try eating five to six small meals each day and be sure to chew each bite slowly and completely. Consume water throughout the day and 30 minutes before and after meals. Do not drink water during the meal.
Recommended Reading: How Do I Get Rid Of Air In My Stomach
When You Can Manage Stomach Pain On Your Own
If your stomach pain is not severe or long-lasting, and if you’re not having symptoms like those mentioned above, the pain may go away on its own.
This pain is often caused by minor problems such as constipation, gas, or something you ate. Waiting a few hours, having a bowel movement, or passing gas may help.
Try taking these steps:
- Limit yourself to clear liquids for a few hours.
- If you have vomiting or diarrhea, stick with the BRAT diet. Eat mild foods until you feel better.
- Avoid foods that are hard to digest. Fatty, fried, or spicy foods can cause stomach pain. So can drinks containing alcohol or caffeine.
- Try an over-the-counter antacid or a product to relieve gas.
- Try to have a bowel movement. Eating raw fruit, vegetables, beans, or high-fiber cereal can help.
- Use a hot water bottle or heating pad. Place the pad on your abdomen for a half hour at a time, with a towel under the pad to protect your skin.
Your symptoms may improve within a day or two. If they do not, call your healthcare provider.
Peppermint Natural Remedy To Get Rid Of Stomach Cramps
If abdominal muscle pain is what you are going through, then peppermint can help you out, under the form of tea. You can either buy some peppermint teabags or make some at home with dried or fresh peppermint leaves . Whichever way you go, make sure that you drink the peppermint tea while its still hot.
Add a little bit of local honey for taste and enjoy a delicious remedy that will warm you up and help you get rid of abdominal cramps for good. If you are not in the mood for making tea, you can take some peppermint and gnaw on it or opt for some peppermint supplements to help the pain go away.
You May Like: What Makes Your Stomach Cramp
Bland Carbohydrates May Be More Easily Tolerated
Bland carbohydrates like rice, oatmeal, crackers and toast are often recommended for people suffering from upset stomachs.
While this recommendation is common, there is little evidence to show that they actually help relieve symptoms.
However, many people report that these foods are easier to keep down when youre not feeling well .
While bland carbohydrates may be more palatable during an illness, its important to expand your diet again as soon as possible. Restricting your diet too much may keep you from getting enough of the vitamins and minerals your body needs in order to heal .
Many people with an upset stomach find bland carbohydrates easier to tolerate than other foods, but there is little evidence to show that they actually relieve symptoms.
When Stomach Pain Is An Emergency
Sometimes stomach pain is mild at first but gets worse after a few hours. You may also develop other symptoms. Get help right away if you have any of these symptoms along with stomach pain:
- Extremely hard abdomen
- Coughing up or vomiting blood
- Vomiting that won’t stop
- Inability to have a bowel movement, along with vomiting
- Pain in the neck, shoulder, or between shoulder blades
- Vision changes
If you have these symptoms, call for an ambulance or have someone drive you to the ER. You should not “wait and see” or take medicine for the pain. Get help right away.
When stomach pain is associated with these other symptoms, it may be caused by a life-threatening condition. Some examples of these conditions include:
These emergencies usually cause pain that feels extreme. Other circumstances in which you should discuss stomach pain with a healthcare provider include when:
- You’re pregnant
- Your pain started within a week of abdominal surgery
- Your pain started after a procedure in your stomach area, like an endoscopy
- You have ever had surgery on your digestive tract, like a gastric bypass, colostomy, or bowel resection
- Your pain started shortly after an abdominal trauma
- Your abdomen is bruised or rapidly expanding
- Excessive vaginal bleeding, or blood clots and bleeding longer than usual
- You have rectal bleeding, or tarry-looking or bloody stool
Read Also: How To Lose Visceral Stomach Fat
Using Alcoholic Bitters To Relieve Stomach Pain
You may raise an eyebrow, but did you know that alcoholic bitters can naturally relieve stomach pain?
Many common brands of bitters contain a mix of mint, ginger, cinnamon, and fennel, all of which are known to help ease stomach pain in one form or another. Five to six drops in a glass of club soda or ginger ale might surprise you.
How To Make Stomach Cramps Go Away With Plain Yogurt
Plain yogurt has been a popular home remedy for abdominal cramps for quite some time. We can understand why, as it has proven its benefits in many cases. Even more so, yogurt with bacteria helps you alleviate pain caused by indigestion.
Make sure that the yogurt you consume is plain, without any added bits of fruit or chocolate. You can either enjoy the yogurt simply, or you can make your own concoction with coriander, cardamom, and a bit of salt. No matter what method you choose, you can drink it multiple times throughout the day for relief.
Also Check: Can Eliquis Be Taken On An Empty Stomach
Peppermint Tea To Relieve Stomach Pain
For more generalized pain relief, try peppermint tea, or even sucking on a candy cane if youre feeling festive. Peppermint leaves contain menthol, a natural analgesic known to help nausea and upset stomachs. Whether you get it from a candy, tea, chewing on the leaves, or sniffing some extract, peppermint can alleviate stomach pain and any accompanying nausea.
- Add one teaspoon of dried peppermint to one cup of boiling water.
- Steep for five to 10 minutes before straining.
- Add a dab of honey for taste.
- Or, chew on one fresh peppermint leaf throughout the day.
Can Stomachaches Be Prevented
Not all belly pain can be prevented. But to help avoid common types of stomachaches:
- Wash your hands before eating or preparing food, and after using the bathroom.
- Don’t overeat, and try not to eat right before going to sleep.
- Drink plenty of water and eat fiber-rich foods, such as fruits and vegetables, to keep food moving through your digestive system.
- Avoid foods that have passed their expiration date or or weren’t stored properly.
- If you have a food allergy or intolerance, avoid eating foods that make you sick. If you have a food allergy, always carry two epinephrine auto-injectors, and know when you should use them.
Don’t Miss: How To Get Rid Of Lose Stomach Fat
Home Remedies For Stomach Pain
Disclaimer: Results are not guaranteed*** and may vary from person to person***.
Stabbing, throbbing, pulsing, or burning abdominal pains may be the sign of either minor or serious health conditions.
In most cases, relief can be found with all-natural home remedies for stomach pain.
The powerful yet nontoxic properties of many common kitchen products may help to alleviate the pain and other symptoms caused by gas, constipation, irritating foods, indigestion, food allergies, or viral infections.
Identifying the cause is the first step in knowing how to get relief from stomach pain.
In this article:
Heat Treatment To Get Rid Of A Stomach Ache Quickly
Applying heat to the stomach is one of the best ways for relieving stomach ache. Heat helps in relaxing the stomach muscles. It also increases the flow of blood to the skin surface. This results in reduced awareness of pain in the stomach. Heat treatment can be given in a number of ways. You can use heating pads or hot water bottles. You can also make a warm compress for yourself with the help of a clean sock and raw rice or salt. Just heat up the rice or salt to a comfortable temperature and fill the sock with it. Then lie down and put the sock on your stomach and let the heat transfer to your stomach. The heat will ease the pain and also provide a soothing effect.
You May Like: What To Do For Upper Stomach Pain
What To Do When Its More Than An Upset Stomach
If you continue to experience stomach discomfort more times than not, you notice your body responds poorly to certain foods, or you suddenly get very sick after eating, itâs a good idea to see a doctor. You could have a food intolerance or have contracted a foodborne illness. When it comes to your stomach, itâs better to be safe than sorry.
The more you know about your body and how it reacts to food, the better you can avoid any digestive discomfort. But, life happens, and itâs impossible to protect your stomach from everything. Whenever an upset stomach happens, you can trust Pepto Bismol to help provide relief.
Signs And Symptoms Of Abdominal Pain
Abdominal pain may take several different forms. In addition to how severe it is, abdominal pain can be described in the following ways:
Generalized Pain This refers to pain felt in more than half of your abdominal area, and is typical of stomach viruses, indigestion, or gas as the cause of your pain.
Cramping This type of pain come and goes, or changes in its severity or perceived position in your abdomen. Cramping is rarely serious and is typical of gas, passing a stool, or menstruation as the cause of your pain.
Its important to call your doctor if your abdominal pain is so severe that you cant move without feeling more pain, or sit still in a comfortable position.
Also Check: Can Lupus Affect Your Stomach
Don’t Miss: What Medication Is Good For Stomach Pain