When Should An Adult Seek Medical Care For Abdominal Pain
- Abdominal pain that lasts more than six hours or continues to worsen
- Severe abdominal pain
- Pain that worsens when a person tries to move around
- Pain that starts all over, but settles into one area, especially the right lower abdomen
- Pain that awakens a person up at night
- Pain with vaginal bleeding or pregnancy, even if a female only thinks she might be pregnant
- Pain accompanied by a fever over 101 F
- Pain along with an inability to urinate, move the bowels, or pass gas
- Any other pain that feels different from a simple stomach ache
- Any other pain that alarms a person, or concerns them in any way
If the person has any of the following, or cannot reach their doctor, go to a hospital emergency department:
- Very severe pain
- Pain so bad the affected person passes out or almost passes out
- Pain so bad the affected person cannot move
- Pain and vomiting blood, or any vomiting that lasts more than 6 hours
- Pain and no bowel movement for more than three days
- Pain the person thinks might be in their chest, but they aren’t sure
- Pain that seems to come from the person’s testicles
Head To The Drugstore
Some people find relief with over-the-counter products, such as simethicone and activated charcoal. Of the two, simethicone is considered the better option, although experts are not quite sure how it works. Brand names for simethicone include:
- Maalox Anti-Gas
You should know that activated charcoal may result in constipation, diarrhea, nausea, or vomiting. Therefore, its use is somewhat controversial within the medical community.
In addition, if you decide to try activated charcoal, you may find that it turns your stool black. However, black stools from charcoal supplements are not something to be concerned about.
As with any OTC product, check with your healthcare provider before use. People who are pregnant or breastfeeding should generally avoid these products.
How To Get Rid Of Upper Abdominal Pain
One common health problem that affects people of all ages is abdominal pain. The pain can be caused by many conditions. However, the main causes include an infection, abnormal growth, inflammation, obstruction and intestinal disorders.
The abdomen is divided into four quadrants: right upper quadrant, left upper quadrant, right lower quadrant and left lower quadrant. It is very important to know the exact location of the pain. This helps narrow down possible causes.
In fact, there can be different causes behind abdominal pain in different areas. For instance, pain in the upper abdomen may relate to the liver, right kidney, portions of the colon, spleen, pancreas or stomach.
Upper left abdominal pain can be due to an enlarged spleen, fecal impaction , injury, kidney infection, heart attack or cancer. On the other hand, upper right abdominal pain can be due to hepatitis, injury, pneumonia or appendicitis.
Upper abdominal pain can be dull, intermittent or sharp, depending upon the cause. If the pain is intense and chronic, immediate medical attention is needed.
Once the cause is known, treatment becomes easier. For mild upper abdominal pain, you can get relief from simple home remedies and lifestyle changes.
Here are the top 10 ways to treat upper abdominal pain.
Also Check: What Foods Calm The Stomach
Side Effects From Long
Long-term use of Aleve can make your heart work harder. Aleve makes you retain water, which increases the load on your heart. This extra work can cause pressure on your cardiovascular system and can sometimes lead to a heart attack or stroke. These risks are even greater at higher dosages, even if you dont have any heart conditions or risk of heart disease. Call 911 or local emergency services if you have:
- chest pain
- slurred speech
- weakness in your arms or legs
These are signs of a stroke or heart attack. If you take Aleve and have unexplained weight gain or swelling, especially in your legs and feet, talk to your doctor right away. These may be signs of heart failure. To lower your risk of heart problems, use the lowest dosage for the shortest amount of time.
Prostaglandins maintain the pressure in your kidneys so that these organs can filter the fluids in your body. A decrease in your level of prostaglandins from taking Aleve can cause problems with your kidney function. You may notice fluid retention or changes in how much you urinate. If you notice these changes while taking Aleve, stop taking it and contact your doctor.
People with certain medical conditions may experience more side effects from Aleve than other people. These conditions include:
- history of stomach ulcers or stomach bleeding
Recommended Reading: Is Stomach Pain A Sign Of Pregnancy
Dont Take Too Many Too Often
To avoid abdominal pain when taking painkillers, you must first make sure that you follow the recommended dosage to the letter. Do not take any more than recommended, and do not double-dose. You should never take more than one NSAID at a time as they are in the same family and side effects will be more severe.
Read Also: Pregnancy Tightness In Stomach
Don’t Miss: What To Take For Stomach Issues
How Is The Cause Of The Abdominal Pain Diagnosed
Physical examination will include a careful examination of the patient’s abdomen, heart, and lungs in order to pinpoint the source of the pain.
- The doctor will touch different parts of the abdomen to check for tenderness or other signs that indicate the source of the pain.
- The doctor may do a rectal exam to check for small amounts of blood in the stool or other problems, such as a mass or internal hemorrhoids.
- If the patient is a man, the doctor may check the penis and testicles.
- If the patient is a woman, the doctor may do a pelvic exam to check for problems in the uterus, Fallopian tubes, and ovaries.
- The doctor also may look at the patient’s eyes for yellow discoloration and in the mouth to be sure the patient is not dehydrated.
Laboratory tests may or may not help to determine the cause of the abdominal pain. Combined with the information gained from the questions the patient was asked and the physical examination performed by the doctor, certain blood or urine tests may be ordered and could assist in determining the diagnosis.
Radiology studies of the patient’s abdomen can be useful, but are not always necessary or helpful.
- Occasionally, an X-ray will show air outside of the bowel, meaning that something has ruptured or perforated.
- An X-ray also can help diagnose bowel obstruction.
- Sometimes X-rays can show a kidney stone.
Ultrasound is a painless procedure useful in finding some causes of abdominal pain.
See Your Doctor As Soon As Possible If:
- your pain is no better after 2 hours of home care
- your abdomen is very painful
- your pain gets worse over time, or becomes sharper or stronger in one particular place
- your abdomen feels bloated or sticks out more than usual
- you cant stop vomiting
- you havent had a bowel motion or passed wind for 3 days
- youve lost your appetite
- there is blood in your vomit, urine or bowel motion, or vaginal bleeding that isnt a period.
You also need to see your doctor if you have other symptoms along with the pain such as fever or dizziness especially if those symptoms get worse over time or new symptoms develop.
Call Healthline if you are unsure what you should do.
Also Check: What To Eat After Stomach Bug
Fennel As A Natural Remedy For Abdominal Pain
This herb is used to treat many ailments apart from the abdomen pain. It has been in use for a very long period, especially by the Chinese. It is known to have fibers, vitamins, potassium and folic acid which indeed help in digestion. The plant is also known to contain the upset stomach as a result of bloating. The plant is also used to relieve flatulence through the rectum. The most effective part of the fennel plant is the seed. It is one of the most helpful Upset Stomach Remedies For Abdominal Pain.
The fennel can be used in either tea or in food. One to two grams of fennel is enough and should be taken at least twice or thrice a day. It can also be taken after every meal as a chewing gum. This usually helps in faster digestion of the food.
What Is The Medical Treatment For Causes Of Abdominal Pain In Adults
The patient’s treatment will depend on what the doctor thinks is causing the abdominal pain.
The patient may be given IV fluids. The doctor may ask the patient not to eat or drink anything until the cause of the pain is known. This is done to avoid worsening certain medical conditions or to prepare the patient in case they need to have surgery.
The patient may be given pain medication.
- For pain caused by bowel spasm, they may be given a shot in the hip, arm, or leg.
- If the patient is not throwing up, they may receive a drink that has antacid in it or pain medication.
- Although the patient’s pain may not go away completely, they have the right to be comfortable and should ask for pain medicine until they are made comfortable.
You May Like: How To Get Rid Of Extra Stomach Fat
Mint As A Natural Remedy For Abdominal Pain
This herb has been one of the astonishing Upset Stomach Remedies For Abdominal Pain. It is known to contain properties that help in the digestion. It can be used in a number of stomach related pains. Among the pains are included the stomach aches, indigestion, vomiting and menstrual cramps among other stomach related ailments. The herb helps to the soothe the stomach from any inflammation that may arise after the digestion. This herb is also very useful for small children as it helps in colic condition.
The plant can be taken in raw form by chewing after each meal. The plant can also be boiled and the concoction extracted from it used together with tea or any other liquid. It should not be used with milk as it has been known that milk can make it less effective. The concoction should not be drunk at once but sipping for few hours is recommended.
Limit Coffee Alcohol And Smoking
The caffeine found in coffee does not directly cause stomach pain if you consume it in moderation. However, if you have too much caffeine by drinking coffee in excess, it can lead to dizziness, anxiety, irritability, and problems sleeping. Ultimately, these side effects also cause nausea and stomach pain.
Dont rely on coffee to keep you awake or functional throughout your day. If you want to indulge in coffee, try to limit yourself to one cup per day. Coffee is a diuretic, so it causes you to urinate more frequently. Make sure you drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration, which leads to nausea and stomach aches.
Smoking is detrimental to your health, but it also causes stomach pain. Tobacco, nicotine, and smoke damage your vital internal organs. These digestive organs can have a problem processing the food you consume, which leads to inflammation in your stomach lining.
If you have an ulcer in your stomach, smoking will irritate it and could prevent it from healing properly. Stomach ulcers are extremely painful and can cause serious damage if they dont heal. Just like smoke, caffeine also irritates stomach ulcers.
Drinking alcohol in excess will cause stomach problems. The long-term effects of alcohol abuse damage your liver and kidneys, which cause stomach pain and other problems in your body.
Recommended Reading: What To Take For Stomach Ulcer Pain
What Is The Most Important Information I Should Know About Naproxen
Naproxen can increase your risk of fatal heart attack or stroke, even if you dont have any risk factors. Do not use this medicine just before or after heart bypass surgery .
Naproxen may also cause stomach or intestinal bleeding, which can be fatal. These conditions can occur without warning while you are using naproxen, especially in older adults.
You should not use naproxen if you are allergic to it, or if you have ever had an asthma attack or severe allergic reaction after taking aspirin or an NSAID.
Ask a doctor before giving naproxen to a child younger than 12 years old.
Ask a doctor or pharmacist if this medicine is safe to use if you have:
- heart disease, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, or if you smoke
- a heart attack, stroke, or blood clot
- stomach ulcers or bleeding
In An Old House In Paris That Was Covered In Vines
I had to pick a stopping point, so the Old House In Paris is it. I own one of these houses and have many of the dolls and furnishings. The book was a favorite from childhood. The movies jadore! I love that spunky sprite Madeline. So when I came across this dollhouse sitting in a consignment store, I was stunned. They do not sell these in the United States, so I had not seen or heard of them. And Im an adult and have long stopped watching Madelines adventures.
But because I had started reading the books to my daughter, I couldnt resist bringing this dollhouse into my home with as many of Madelines friends as I could find on Ebay! I think I might enjoy it more than my kid, and I do get excited when I find an item here or there. The doorbell works. The lantern lights up. I can get plenty of accessories. And I even have Miss Clavel. And one day Ill get Genevieve the dog! .FOR MY GRANDCHILDREN.of course!
Recommended Reading: Can You Get Rid Of Stomach Cancer
Rated For Acute Gout Report
Gave me diharreah!!!! Im on the toilet now. My stomach pain woke me up out of a dead sleep. I took naproxen right before bed for my tooth ache and now I feel like complete crap. I feel so nauseous and I cant stop pooping. My stomach is in nots omg its horrible! Do not take!!! I feel like I have food poisoning or something. Ughhh
Fennel Seeds To Relieve Stomachache
The phrase volatile oil is not normally associated with relieving stomach pain, but thats just what anethole, found in fennel seeds, can do. Anethole will stimulate the production of digestive juices, which, if you have indigestion, can be just the thing to provide natural pain relief for inflammation of the stomach.
Pregnant women, however, should not use fennel seeds.
- Chew on one-half to one teaspoon of fennel seeds after each meal.
- Or, add one teaspoon of crushed fennel seeds to one cup of boiled water. Steep for eight to 10 minutes before straining tea. Add a dab of honey for taste. Drink tea after each meal.
Don’t Miss: Does Coolsculpting Tighten Loose Skin On Stomach
When To Talk To Your Doctor About An Upset Stomach
An upset stomach typically goes away on its own within 48 hours. Sometimes stomach pain indicates a more serious health problem, however. Know when to speak to a healthcare professional for stomach pain.
- Speak to a medical professional if your symptoms do not go away after a day or two.
- If you have other symptoms such as fever, severe abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea, or blood in vomit or stool, make an appointment with your doctor.
- Talk to your doctor if you cant keep liquids or foods down, and you notice signs of dehydration.
- Pay attention if you notice a pattern, or you have recurring stomach pain. Maybe you have stomach pain after you eat dairy, or you get an upset stomach after eating pasta with red sauce. Maybe you regularly have an upset stomach but havent noticed a pattern. Discuss your symptoms with your doctor.
Theres no threshold for contacting your primary care provider. If you are worried or uncertain about your symptoms, call your doctors office.
Sudden Stomach Cramps With Diarrhoea
If your stomach cramps have started recently and you also have diarrhoea, the cause may be a tummy bug . This means you have a viral or bacterial infection of the stomach and bowel. It should get better without treatment after a few days.
Gastroenteritis may be caused by:
- coming into close contact with someone who’s infected
- eating contaminated food
If you have repeated bouts of stomach cramps and diarrhoea, you may have a long-term condition, such as irritable bowel syndrome .
You May Like: Can Apple Cider Vinegar Hurt Your Stomach
When To See A Doctor About Abdominal Pain
Go straight to your doctor or the emergency department of the nearest hospital if you have any of:
- severe pain
- pain lasting for several hours
- pain and/or vaginal bleeding if you are pregnant
- pain in your scrotum if you are a male
- pain and vomiting or shortness of breath
- pain and vomiting blood
- blood in your bowel motions or urine
- pain that spreads to your chest, neck or shoulder
- fever and sweats
- unable to move your bowels or pass gas
- any other concerns.
Causes Of An Upset Stomach
If your stomach is bothering you, it is most likely due to irritation or inflammation of your stomach lining. There are several different reasons why the lining could get irritated or inflamed.
One of the reasons could be from eating or drinking too much. Sometimes its as simple as that you had too much food during you most recent meal. Instead of having two slices of pizza you ate seven.
Drinking too much of anything can also cause an upset stomach. That includes alcohol, soda, juice, sports drinks, and even water. Although you should drink plenty of water throughout the day, if you drink too much of it too fast it can cause your belly to hurt.
Food allergies are another cause of your problem. If you are unsure about foods you may be allergic to, you can consult with your doctor and get some tests run. Common food allergies include gluten, dairy, fish, or nuts. If certain foods bother your stomach every time you eat them, its best to avoid those and find out if you are allergic.
Its also possible to get sick from food that you are not allergic to. Food poising occurs when bacteria, viruses, or parasites are in the food youre eating. That can happen if your meal is not properly prepared. For example, undercooked meat or chicken can lead to food poisoning.
Indigestion is another common cause of stomach pain. It happens when your body cannot properly process the food you ate. Poor diet choices and dehydration can cause indigestion.
Read Also: Why Is My Stomach Cramping Really Bad