When To Seek Immediate Medical Attention
Get medical help immediately if:
- You have abdominal pain that is very sharp, severe, and sudden.
- You also have pain in the chest, neck, or shoulder.
- Youre vomiting blood, have bloody diarrhea, or have black, tarry stools
- You have a high fever.
- Youre having difficulty breathing.
- You develop consistent nausea and/or vomiting.
- Your abdomen is stiff, hard, and tender to the touch.
- You cant move your bowels, especially if youre also vomiting
How Is Abdominal Pain Treated
Treating abdominal pain depends on its cause. Options include:
- Medications for inflammation, gastroesophageal reflux disease or ulcers.
- Antibiotics for infection.
- Changes in personal behavior for abdominal pain caused by certain foods or beverages.
- Local or spinal injections of numbing agents or corticosteroids by pain management physicians.
In more severe cases like appendicitis and hernia, surgery is necessary.
Taking Care Of Yourself At Home
Most abdominal pain goes away without special treatment. Be guided by your doctor, but there are some things you can do to help ease the pain, including:
- Place a hot water bottle or heated wheat bag on your abdomen.
- Soak in a warm bath. Take care not to scald yourself.
- Drink plenty of clear fluids such as water.
- Reduce your intake of coffee, tea and alcohol as these can make the pain worse.
- When you are allowed to eat again, start with clear liquids, then progress to bland foods such as crackers, rice, bananas or toast. Your doctor may advise you to avoid certain foods.
- Get plenty of rest.
- Try over-the-counter antacids, to help reduce some types of pain.
- Take mild painkillers such as paracetamol. Please check the packet for the right dose. Avoid aspirin or anti-inflammatory drugs unless advised to take them by a doctor. These drugs can make some types of abdominal pain worse.
You May Like: What Is The Safest Stomach Acid Reducer
Causes Of Acute Stomach Pain
- Eating Too Much. Eating too much can cause an upset stomach and mild stomach pain.
- Hunger Pains. Younger children may complain of stomach pain when they are hungry.
- GI Virus . A GI virus can cause stomach cramps as well as vomiting and/or diarrhea.
- Food Poisoning. This causes sudden vomiting and/or diarrhea within hours after eating the bad food. It is caused by toxins from germs growing in foods left out too long. Most often, symptoms go away in less than 24 hours. It often can be treated at home without the need for medical care.
- Constipation. The need to pass a stool may cause cramps in the lower abdomen.
- Strep Throat. A strep throat infection causes 10% of new onset stomach pain with fever.
- Bladder Infection. Bladder infections usually present with painful urination, urgency and bad smelling urine. Sometimes the only symptom is pain in the lower abdomen.
- Appendicitis . Suspect appendicitis if pain is low on the right side and walks bent over. Other signs are the child won’t hop and wants to lie still.
- Intussusception . Sudden attacks of severe pain that switch back and forth with periods of calm. Caused by one segment of bowel telescoping into a lower piece of bowel. Peak age is 6 months to 2 years.
When To Go To The Er With Stomach Pain
You should seek immediate medical attention or go to the ER if you have:
- Constant or severe abdominal pain
- Pain associated with a high fever
- Changes in pain intensity or location, such as going from a dull ache to a sharp stab or starting in one area and radiating to another
- Pain accompanied by other serious or unusual symptoms, such as difficulty breathing or change in behavior
- Pain localized to one particular area
- Right lower quadrant could indicate appendicitis
- Right upper quadrant could indicate cholecystitis or a gallbladder infection
- Left lower quadrant could indicate diverticulitis or a colon infection
Read Also: How Can I Settle My Cats Stomach
Pelvic Floor Muscle Dysfunction
According to Rush university Medical Center, this condition is one that has forced some patients to manually remove stool or splint the rectum to defecate.
Since the pelvic muscles or the levator ani muscles are responsible for proper bowel movements, dysfunction of these muscles could lead to pain when passing stool. Therefore, different positions need to be assumed to be able to defecate.
Reasons You Wake Up With Stomach Pain Every Morning
Almost everyone has experienced an upset stomach once in a blue moon, either as a result of indigestion, illness, or just something youve consumed the night before that cause it. A night of heavy drinking can cause your stomach to ache the morning after. However, having stomach pain every morning regularly may be an indication of an underlying condition.
We at Mayor Boss did some research and figured out why some people always wake up with a stomach ache every morning. And on that note, lets dive in.
Read Also: How To Reduce Stomach After C Section
If You Have Chronic Or Frequent Stomach Pain
Chronic indigestion, constipation or gas — that happens on a regular, ongoing basis — can sometimes be a symptom of an underlying condition. A few of the most common digestive conditions are listed below — but remember that only a health care professional can diagnose you, so make sure to consult with your provider if you’re concerned.
When To See A Doctor About Stomach Pain
If your stomach problems stick around for a few days or more, its time to call your doctor and talk to them about any irregular stomach pains or frequent pain, diarrhea, nausea or constipation.
“As you prepare for your appointment, keep track of what you eat or if theres anything about your lifestyle that may cause stomach pain,” Dr. McKee says. “Being aware of all noticeable symptoms you experience can help us determine the cause.”
Don’t Miss: How To Treat Stomach Gas At Home
Abdominal Pain Treatment And Home Remedies
The treatment for abdominal pain depends on its cause, and may include:
- Medications to lower inflammation, prevent acid reflux, or treat ulcers or infection
- Surgery to treat a problem with an organ
Over-the-counter pain relievers like aspirin and ibuprofen can irritate your stomach and worsen your pain. Donât take them unless a doctor has diagnosed the cause of your belly pain and recommends their use.
Some diet and lifestyle changes may help belly pain caused by gas and indigestion. Here are some things you can try:
- Eat smaller portions at more frequent meals
- Eat slowly
Why Do I Feel Car Sick When Im Not In A Car
Why is that? According to those who know, the main trigger for motion sickness is when the parts of your inner ear and brain that control balance and eye movements feels the turns and acceleration of the vehicle, but your eyes are looking at a stationary road, a phone, a book, a map, or the interior.
You May Like: What Causes Upper Stomach Bloating
Your Stomach Is Sensitive To Coffees Acids
Our digestive systems run on acids. Theyre the fuel of the machine that breaks down what we consume. Weve got to have them!
However, too much gastric acid can be a problem, causing some not-so-fun symptoms.
Most of these issues manifest in the form of bloating, belching, and general discomfort. Though considered mild symptoms, theyre quite annoying.
Many articles out there claim that drinking coffee can lead to acid reflux, an involuntary series of muscle movements that send gastric acid up into the esophagus. However, this connection has long been disproven .
If you find yourself with similar discomforts when you drink acidic drinks like fruit juice or alcohol, its worth cutting out acidic foods and drinks for a few days to see if you notice a difference.
If acid seems to be the issue, heres what you can do to still enjoy your coffee:
- Find low-acidity, stomach friendly coffees. If it seems youre only slightly sensitive but you still want to try reducing acids, opt for coffee beans that are known to be lower on the acidity scale. Coffees grown at low altitudes typically have lower acid levels.
- Cold brew. Cold brewing coffee in cold water reduces the acid levels of the final drink as much as 66%. Once youve brewed the concentrate, you can still cut it with hot water to enjoy a hot mug like normal.
Its the caffeine that really upsets most stomachs.
Emotional Reaction To Sex
Many people experience abdominal pain after sex because of a negative emotional reaction. If youâre feeling anxiety, stress, sadness, or irritation before sex, you may feel physical symptoms of nausea, pain, or gas after sex. Similarly, if you feel emotionally uncomfortable during intercourse, your feelings may translate into physical symptoms after intercourse.
Read Also: What Are Some Symptoms Of Stomach Ulcers
Comprehensive Diagnosis For Functional Bowel Disorders
In the Functional Bowel Disorders Clinic, our multidisciplinary team is committed to making the right diagnosis, and ruling out any other conditions, such as an inflammatory bowel disease like Crohns disease or ulcerative colitis. To diagnose, we perform a comprehensive examination and collect a thorough history. Rome III criteria, a set of criteria developed by experts on digestive diseases to help determine functional bowel disorders, is also used to assess your symptoms.
- Your symptoms must have begun at least 6 months ago
- You have stomach pain or discomfort for at least 3 days a month for the last 3 months
- At least two of the following statements are true: Pain is relieved by having a bowel movement pain is linked to a change in how often you have a bowel movement pain is linked to a change in the appearance of your stool.
To meet Rome III criteria for functional dyspepsia:
- Your symptoms must have begun at least 6 months ago
- You have one or more of the following symptoms: Bothersome fullness after eating a meal you become full quickly while eating pain in upper central portion of the abdomen burning in upper central portion of the abdomen
- And there is no evidence of structural disease that is likely to explain the symptoms.
Your doctor may order tests through our comprehensive gastrointestinal lab to rule out other conditions, which can include:
Types Of Abdominal Pain
There are several types of abdominal pain, which are based on how quickly your pain starts and how long it lasts:
- Acute pain starts over a few hours or days and may come with other symptoms.
- Chronic pain lasts longer — from weeks to months or more — and may come and go.
- Progressive pain gets worse over time and often comes with other symptoms.
You May Like: How To Get Fat Removed From Stomach
Muscle Pain And Injuries
Muscle overuse, a sedentary lifestyle, and trauma from falling or other injuries can cause pain in the abdominal or back muscles. These injuries can cause pain that comes and goes.
Pain that appears only in certain positions, while lifting, or after exercise could be a sign of a muscle injury.
A muscle injury is not a medical emergency. Most people can treat muscle injuries at home with rest, hot and cold packs, and gentle massage. Ice packs for pain relief are available for purchase online.
If home treatment does not work or the pain is very intense, it is best to see a doctor.
Diagnosis Of Abdominal Pain In Adults
If examinations and tests are needed, these may include:
- a rectal exam to check for hidden blood or other problems
- if you are a man, the doctor may check your penis and scrotum
- if you are a woman, the doctor may do a pelvic exam to check for problems in your womb , fallopian tubes and ovaries, and do a pregnancy test
- a blood test to look for infection or bleeding
- other blood tests may look at enzymes in the liver, pancreas and heart to sort out which organ may be involved
- a urine test to look for a urine infection or blood
- an ECG to rule out a heart attack
- other tests, including x-ray, ultrasound or CT scan
- sometimes you may be referred to another doctor to help find the cause of the problem.
- endoscopy is an examination where a flexible tube with a light and video camera at the tip is used to examine some internal organs without the need for surgery. Different names are used depending on which organ is being looked at.
If you do have tests, the doctor will explain the results to you. Some results may take a number of days to come back and these will be sent to your local doctor.
Recommended Reading: How Can I Get Rid Of Stomach Acid
Is It Normal For Your Stomach To Hurt After Sex 7 Reasons You May Be Experiencing A Stomach Ache After Sex
Are you wondering: âWhy does my stomach hurt after sex?â
Youâre not alone. Many people report feeling physically uncomfortable after sexual intercourse. In this section, Iâll cover the top seven reasons that you could be having a stomach ache after sex. As always, if youâre very worried about the pain youâre feeling, you should visit a doctor, who can help diagnose and treat the pain.
Reasons Why Your Stomach Hurts
At some point or another, we have all experienced some kind of stomachache. We may ask ourselves a million questions as to why, but can never figure it out.
In many cases, stomach pain can be easily treated with the use of medication or just letting time take its course. However, severe and ongoing stomach pain can reflect a major problem involving the organs in your stomach.
Below are some of the most common reasons why you may be experiencing stomach pain. Other reasons include pancreatitis, appendicitis, kidney stones, hernia and endometriosis.
Here are 5 Reasons Why Your Stomach Hurts:
Read Also: Are There Any Stomach Bugs Going Around
How Is The Cause Of Abdominal Pain Diagnosed
The cause of abdominal pain can be diagnosed through a series of tests. Before ordering tests, your doctor will do a physical examination. This includes gently pressing on various areas of your abdomen to check for tenderness and swelling.
This information, combined with the severity of the pain and its location within the abdomen, will help your doctor determine which tests to order.
Imaging tests, such as MRI scans, ultrasounds, and X-rays, are used to view organs, tissues, and other structures in the abdomen in detail. These tests can help diagnose tumors, fractures, ruptures, and inflammation.
Other tests include:
Blood, urine, and stool samples may also be collected to look for evidence of bacterial, viral, and parasitic infections.
Not all forms of abdominal pain are preventable. However, you can minimize the risk of developing abdominal pain by doing the following:
- Eat a healthy diet.
Home Remedies To Ease Mild Pain In Middle Of The Stomach
There are home remedies that you can try to help ease middle stomach pain. However, if you are in severe pain in the mid-abdominal area, it is best to see a doctor, as severe abdominal pain is a sign of a condition that needs medical attention as soon as possible.
For mild upper-middle abdominal pain and connecting areas, the following tips may be able to help you out.
Don’t Miss: How To Improve Stomach Acid
Common Causes For A Stomach Ache After Sex
Having a stomach ache after sex can be scary, frustrating, and embarrassing. Sex is supposed to be an intimate celebration of your relationship with another person, so feeling bad after sex can be very disconcerting.
If youâre asking yourself: âIs it normal for your stomach to hurt after sex?â donât worry. There are a number of reasons that you could be experiencing this pain. In this article, Ill cover the most common reasons for experiencing a stomach ache after sex and offer advice for easing that pain.
Causes Of Recurrent Stomach Pains
- Stress or Worries. The most common cause of frequent stomach pains is stress. Over 10% of children have a “worried stomach.” These children tend to be sensitive and too serious. They often are model children. This can make them more at risk to the normal stresses of life. Examples of these events are changing schools, moving or family fights. The pain is in the pit of the stomach or near the belly button. The pain is real.
- Abdominal Migraine. Attacks of stomach pain and vomiting with sudden onset and offset. Often occur in children who later develop migraine headaches. Strongly genetic.
- Functional Abdominal Pains. Functional means the stomach pains are due to a sensitive GI tract. The GI tract is free of any disease.
- School Avoidance. Stomach pains that mainly occur in the morning on school days. They keep the child from going to school.
Don’t Miss: How To Get Rid Of Deep Stretch Marks On Stomach