Does Your Child Need To See A Doctor About Stomach Pain
You should take your child to see your GP if your child:
- complains of severe pain in the tummy or it wakes them from sleep
- has tummy pain that doesnt go away, or that keeps coming and going
- is unwell or has a fever in addition to the pain
- complains that the pain gets worse when they move
- has diarrhoea or vomiting that doesnt go away
- is losing weight or has pain that affects their energy levels.
Take your child to a hospital emergency department straight away if your child has:
- bloody or bright green vomit
- blood in their poo.
If you think your child has swallowed something poisonous, call the Poisons Information Centre on 131 125 for advice.
What Are The Treatment Options For Diarrhea
The treatment for diarrhea usually requires replacing lost fluids. This simply means you need to drink more water or electrolyte replacement beverages, such as sports drinks.
In more serious cases, you may get fluids through intravenous therapy. If a bacterial infection is the cause of your diarrhea, your doctor may prescribe antibiotics.
Your doctor will decide your treatment based on:
- the severity of the diarrhea and related condition
- the frequency of the diarrhea and related condition
- the degree of your dehydration status
- your health
- your ability to tolerate different procedures or medications
- expectations for improvement of your condition
Stomach And Duodenal Ulcers
The pain from an ulcer may come and go. The pain is in the top part of your gut but may also feel like it goes through into your back. The pain often comes at night and wakes you up. Food may make it better in some types of ulcer, or may make it worse. See the separate leaflets called Stomach Ulcer and Duodenal Ulcer for more details.
Also Check: How To Treat Stomach Virus In 2 Year Old
When To Seek Medical Care For Abdominal Pain
If your abdominal pain is severe or chronic, our gastroenterology team at Digestive Disease Consultants of Orange County can help. We use sophisticated diagnostic tools and a thorough evaluation to determine the cause of your pain.
Once theres a diagnosis, we create a personalized treatment plan to manage your condition and pain levels. Our doctors make sure you understand the course of treatment and check in with you regularly to ensure your pain and other symptoms are under control.
No matter whats causing your abdominal pain, our team can help you live without discomfort. To schedule an appointment at one of our locations, in Irvine, Huntington Beach, Tustin, and Foothill Ranch, California, book online or call the location nearest you.
You Might Also Enjoy…
Why Do I Have Abdominal Pain When I Bend Over
Abdominal pain when bending over is typically caused by GERD. This condition causes discomfort and burning after eating. Another potential cause of pain while bending over is an inguinal hernia. This occurs when the soft tissue in the abdomen protrudes through muscles, causing pain and other symptoms.
Also Check: Why Do I Keep Having Stomach Pains
Why Does My Stomach Hurt
There are numerous reasons for abdominal pain. It can come from any of the organs in your belly gallbladder, pancreas, liver, stomach and intestines or the abdominal wall the outer shell of the body. Sometimes you feel the pain in your belly, but its actually coming from the chest, back or pelvis.
Abdominal wall pain is common and easy to miss as healthcare professionals may direct their attention to internal organs as a cause of the pain. Once the abdominal wall is considered as a suspect, it is generally easy to nail down this diagnosis. If a patient strains the ab wall muscles from exertion, he may tell his doctor that he has right sided stomach pain. Clearly, this pain is not caused by a diseased internal organ such as the gallbladder or the stomach.
Healthcare providers can often determine where pain is coming from by taking a detailed history from you. Depending upon the physicians style, you may be simply asked to relate your medical story in your own words as a narrative. Other physicians may prefer to ask a series of detailed questions. Others may utilize both techniques. This medical history is paramount, even more important than the physical examination. After the history and physical, certain diagnostic tests may be advised to make an accurate diagnosis.
What are the most common causes of abdominal pain?
Menstrual Cramps Or Endometriosis
Menstruation can cause inflammation and pain in the abdomen. Bloating, gas, cramping, and constipation can also occur during menstruation, causing abdominal discomfort.
Women who have endometriosis may experience more severe or chronic inflammation and pain. Endometriosis is a condition in which tissue that normally grows in the uterus develops in other parts of the body, usually in the pelvic area but sometimes elsewhere.
Also Check: How Do I Know I Have Stomach Cancer
What Are The Treatment Procedures Of Constant Stomach Pain
In the first place once the patient with constant stomach pain visits the doctor, he is going to diagnose the underlying problem of such form of pain. There may be a set of diagnostic tests which may be recommended. Such tests are done to rule out problems of infection of the internal organs. The medical treatment is followed for constant stomach pain once the cause is known.
- In case of the problems appendicitis or infection in the gall bladder, surgery has to be done as a form of treatment. The doctor may appoint a date for surgery and medications may be given.
- In case of milder causes of the pain like constipation or food poisoning, the doctor may give IV fluids to the patient.
- Painkillers may be prescribed to the patient along with other medications to clear out the toxins from the body.
- Patient may be given antacid to cure the acid reflux so occurred.
Home Care Tips To Manage Abdominal Pain
If your child experiences abdominal pain with other symptoms, it is advised to visit a healthcare practitioner to identify the cause of abdominal pain. Do not give any over-the-counter medicine to your child without talking to your doctor. However, for mild abdominal pain, you may try the following tips at home to relieve pain .
- Sip water: Keep slowly sipping water or other fluids. Warm liquids may help relieve pain.
- Avoid solid food: Avoid solid food or food that is hard to digest for the first few hours or till you see your doctor.
- Eat specific food items after vomiting: If the teen has been vomiting, then avoid consuming solid food for at least six hours. You may give your child mild food items such as rice, apple juice, or crackers. Do not give your child dairy products.
- Avoid citrus food items during indigestion: If your child is experiencing heartburn or indigestion with pain in the upper part of the abdomen, then avoid citrus, greasy, or fatty foods. You may also avoid tomato products, caffeine, and carbonated drinks.
You May Like: What Medication Can I Take For Stomach Ulcers
Symptoms Related To Stomach Pain
The symptoms that come with stomach pain vary depending on whats causing the stomach pain.
Cramps and general pain might be associated with excess wind and bloating.
Tummy pain that doesnt go away could be constipation or a urinary tract infection. Children with a urinary tract infection, might also have pain when doing a wee, be doing more wees than normal, and might have a fever, be vomiting and feel irritable.
A sore tummy is more likely to be a sign of something serious if it wakes your child up, or if the pain is in a specific area of the abdomen, away from your childs belly button. For example, in appendicitis, the pain is usually sharp, and the pain often starts in the middle then moves to the lower right section of the abdomen. Your child might also have fever, loss of appetite and vomiting.
With all types of stomach pain, theres a risk that your child will become dehydrated. You should watch for signs of dehydration, including sunken eyes, less wee than usual, lethargy and weight loss. If your child shows these signs, make sure they’re drinking enough fluids.
How Is The Cause Of Abdominal Pain Diagnosed
The cause of abdominal pain can be diagnosed through a series of tests. Before ordering tests, your doctor will do a physical examination. This includes gently pressing on various areas of your abdomen to check for tenderness and swelling.
This information, combined with the severity of the pain and its location within the abdomen, will help your doctor determine which tests to order.
Imaging tests, such as MRI scans, ultrasounds, and X-rays, are used to view organs, tissues, and other structures in the abdomen in detail. These tests can help diagnose tumors, fractures, ruptures, and inflammation.
Other tests include:
Blood, urine, and stool samples may also be collected to look for evidence of bacterial, viral, and parasitic infections.
Not all forms of abdominal pain are preventable. However, you can minimize the risk of developing abdominal pain by doing the following:
- Eat a healthy diet.
Read Also: What Causes Stomach Pain And Nausea
Sudden And Severe Abdominal Pain
There are a number of conditions that cause severe and sudden pain, including:
- a perforated peptic ulcer an open sore that develops on the inside lining of your stomach or duodenum that has broken through the lining
- gallstones small stones that form in the gallbladder
- appendicitis inflammation of the appendix. Appendicitis is a medical emergency, and your doctor will refer you to hospital immediately
- gastroenteritis an infection of the stomach and bowel
- kidney stones stones of calcium and other matter that form in the kidney
- diverticulitis inflammation of the small pouches that are part of the bowel
- bleeding aneurysm the aorta, which is the main artery from the heart, leaks
If you have sudden, agonising pain in your belly, seek medical help immediately by either calling your doctor, going to your nearest emergency department or call an ambulance on triple zero . It may be a sign of a serious illness that requires urgent treatment.
See your doctor if
- the pain quickly gets much worse
- it wont go away or keeps returning
- you are losing weight unexpectedly
- you have an unusual discharge from the vagina
- you are bleeding from the bowel
- there is a persistent change in your toilet habits
Urinary Tract And Bladder Infections
Symptoms include pain, pressure, and bloating in the lower abdominal area. Most infections also cause painful urination and cloudy, strong-smelling urine.
Other Causes Of Stomach Pain
- Certain vascular diseases: Conditions where the intestines dont get enough blood can cause pain and cramps. A common one is a lack of blood supply to the large bowel, or colon, called ischemic colitis, Dr. Kirsch says. This typically causes left-sided cramping and bleeding.
- Gynecological issues: That whole organ system is in the pelvis, so ruptured ovarian cysts, a twisted ovary or ectopic pregnancies can all cause lower abdominal pain, he notes.
- Groin hernias: Hernias happen when an organ pushes through the enclosed area that holds it. A hernia in the groin can cause lower abdominal pain and discomfort.
- Tumors: People who have tumors in the large intestine may experience stomach pain and a change in their bowel pattern, especially if its blocking something.
Common Causes Of Abdominal Pain
Having abdominal pain can be a mild inconvenience or have a significant impact on your well-being. There are several reasons why you may have abdominal pain, ranging from minor muscle strains to appendicitis that requires surgery.
Our skilled providers at Smart Clinic Urgent Care often deal with patients suffering from abdominal pain. Here are the six most common causes.
Also Check: How To Make Your Stomach Thinner
What Are The General Causes Of Constant Stomach Pain In Children
In case of constant stomach pain in children it is advisable to check with the doctor to know the underlying cause. Children go through a variety of internal changes due to the developmental process, and self medication may not be much of a good idea. The possible and general causes of constant stomach pain in children may include-
Indigestion: Infants and toddlers may suffer from indigestion frequently of the food habits are not healthy. This can be symptomatic in form of constant stomach pain.
Constipation: Children are seen to be easy prey of constipation. If bowel movements are not clear due to hardening of faces, children may complain of constant stomach pain.
Gastritis: Prolonged period spent without food can lead to gastritis in children. Infants and kids cannot really understand when they are hungry, and may complain of stomach pain when they experience hunger pangs.
Food Allergies: Sometimes children may be allergic to some kind of food which may lead to constant stomach pain while consuming the same.
How Can It Be Prevented
The best way to try to prevent uremia if you are in end-stage renal failure is to have regular dialysis treatments. This will keep the waste filtered out of your blood.
You should also avoid eating anything high in sodium, phosphorus, and potassium. Eating a healthy diet otherwise and exercising, if approved by your doctor, can help in the prevention of uremia.
Since uremia is caused by severe kidney disease and kidney failure, you can try to prevent uremia by taking steps to prevent kidney disease when possible. Some ways to prevent kidney disease include:
- controlling diabetes
- maintaining a healthy blood pressure
- taking steps to maintain cardiovascular health
- not smoking
- maintaining a healthy diet and exercise plan to avoid obesity
There are some risk factors like age and a family history of kidney disease that can make it more difficult to prevent kidney disease. However, taking as many preventive measures as possible will help.
Don’t Miss: Do Stomach Wraps Burn Fat
What Is The Anatomy Of The Lower Back
To comprehend various sources of lower back pain, it is very important to value the typical layout of the tissues of this location of the body. Essential structures of the lower back that can be associated with signs and symptoms in this area include the bony lumbar spine , discs between the vertebrae, tendons around the spine and discs, spine as well as nerves, muscle mass of the lower back, interior organs of the hips and abdominal area, as well as the skin covering the back area. Can Stress Cause Lower Back And Abdominal Pain
The bony lumbar spine is made so that vertebrae piled with each other can provide a movable support structure while also securing the spinal cord from injury. The spinal cord is composed of worried cells that extends down the spinal column from the brain. Can Stress Cause Lower Back And Abdominal Pain
Each vertebra has a spinous procedure, a bony prominence behind the spinal cord, which guards the cords worried tissue from influence injury. Vertebrae additionally have a solid bony body before the spinal cord to give a platform appropriate for weight bearing of all cells above the butts. The lumbar vertebrae pile quickly atop the sacrum bone that is located in between the butts.On each side, the sacrum meets the iliac bone of the hips to form the sacroiliac joints of the butts.
Treating Lower Abdominal Pain In Women
The most common treatment for lower abdominal pain in women is a heating pad and mild pain medicationsâthis is for PMS or actual menstrual cramping. In cases where the pain is severe, a doctor might prescribe medications that will control hormones, reducing the possibility of inflammation and pain in subsequent months. When a woman experiences sharp pelvic cramps and pain, especially those that are felt on one side, it may be an ectopic pregnancy. This is urgent and requires emergency care. Pelvic inflammatory disease also calls for medical attention, as advanced cases of this condition usually mean surgery is needed.
It is not unusual for women to get cysts or fibroids. While the majority are harmless, others can cause a lot of discomfort and require surgical removal. Meanwhile, polycystic ovary syndrome is often treated with oral contraceptive pills to help regulate a womanâs cycle. However, surgery is still a treatment option.
In cases where a person is suffering from appendicitis, surgery may be required to remove the appendix. Thankfully, in the case of bladder infections, surgery is not the protocol. Antibiotics are the main treatment for UTIâs.Clearly, the treatment depends on the cause and it is dangerous to self-diagnose. Seeing a doctor will allow for proper investigation into what is causing the lower abdominal pain so that an appropriate treatment can be administered.
Don’t Miss: What Exercise Targets Stomach Fat
Stomach Cramps With Bloating
Stomach cramps with bloating are often caused by trapped wind, or constipation. This is a very common problem that can be embarrassing, but is easily dealt with. Your pharmacist will be able to recommend a product, which can be bought over the counter to treat the problem. If problems persist, you should see your GP.