Signs Of Prostate Cancer
- Abdominal pain: Pressure on the organs surrounding your prostate can cause lower abdomen pain and soreness.
- Anemia: Often prostate cancer patients develop anemia caused by bone marrow infiltration, androgen deprivation or treatment related toxicity.
- Bloody semen: Inflammation or infection of the prostate gland can cause blood in the semen.
- Bloody urine : Cancer of any part of the urinary tract including prostate cancer can cause of blood in urine. However, this can also be a symptom of other conditions such as kidney stones or urinary tract infections.
- Fatigue: A number of factors can cause fatigue in cancer patients. Treatments and medications, stress, depression, and lack of appetite are factors of fatigue.
- Problems urinating and incontinence: Anything that enlarges the prostate gland surrounding the urethra can obstruct the urethra, causing urination retention problems, trouble starting urination, incomplete emptying or a weak urine stream.
- Leg inflammation: The patient may experience leg inflammation or swelling if the prostate cancer tumor metastasizes into the bladder and blocks the urine is coming from the kidney.
- Lower back pain/Spinal compression: Lower back or hip pain can occur when bone metastasis occurs and the spinal cord is compressed.
- Weight loss: The functioning of the body, or treatments such as chemotherapy, can cause weight loss.
Importance Of Regular Screenings
These common signs and symptoms can be attributed to several other medical conditions or causes. For instance, ED can simply be caused by stress, and pain can be attributed to a pulled muscle or other injury.
So how do you know when any of these red flags are signaling prostate cancer? Only your doctor can determine the root cause of any of these problems. With one in nine men diagnosed with prostate cancer in the United States, its important to receive regular prostate cancer screenings and to inform your doctor of any new signs or symptoms right away.
What Should I Do If I Have Pain
Let your doctor or nurse know about any pain you have as soon as possible. The earlier you ask for help, the easier it will be to get your pain under control. With the right treatment and management, your doctor and nurse should be able to help you control your pain.
Dont think that you are complaining too much or that you should put up with pain. You shouldnt have to accept pain as a normal part of having cancer. Pain will affect your daily life if it isnt properly controlled.
As well as treatments, there are things you can do yourself that might help with your pain.
What questions might my doctor or nurse ask about my pain?
Your doctor or nurse will ask you questions about your pain to try to get as much information about it as possible. This will help them work out the best treatment for you. They might ask you the following questions.
- Where is your pain?
- How bad is it?
- What does it feel like? For example, is it a stabbing pain, or a dull ache?
- When did the pain start? How often do you get it? How long does it last?
- Does it wake you at night?
- Does anything help?
- Have you tried any pain-relieving medicines? Did they help?
- Does anything make it worse?
- How does your pain make you feel? For example, do you feel anxious or depressed? Does this affect the pain?
- How does the pain affect your daily life?
Recommended Reading: What Kind Of Doctor For Stomach Issues
Natural Treatment Options For Prostate Pain
As prostate pain is associated with all three conditions like prostate cancer, benign prostatic hyperplasia and prostatitis so it is good to find some natural remedies for such prostate troubles. Although, medical science has developed several medications and treatment solutions for this condition but natural therapies are always the most trustworthy options. The major reason behind using home based remedies is that they do not lead to any side effect so person can stay safe.
Symptoms For Chronic Pelvic Pain Syndrome
The symptoms of CPPS vary from man to man, but may include:
- pain in the area between your back passage and testicles
- pain in the lower part of your stomach area
- pain in your penis, especially the tip
- pain in your testicles
- pain in your back passage and lower back
- pain in your inner thighs
- sexual problems such as difficulty getting or keeping an erection, pain or burning when you ejaculate, and premature ejaculation
- urinary problems such as feeling like you havent emptied your bladder properly, needing to urinate more often or urgently, or mild discomfort or pain when you urinate
- bowel problems such as bloating or diarrhoea.
In rare cases, there can be blood in the semen. This can also be a sign that there is something else wrong, so always speak to your doctor if you have blood in your semen.
Speak to your GP if you have any of the symptoms listed here. You can also call our Specialist Nurses if you have any questions.
The chronic prostatitis symptom index
If you have CPPS, the chronic prostatitis symptom index can help you to explain your symptoms to your doctor and can help them to monitor your treatment. You might find it useful to download a copy of these questions. You can use this to show your GP.
You May Like: How To Get Rid Of Stomach Fat Without Exercise
Stomach Cancer Begins When Abnormal Cells Begin To Grow In The Cells Of Tissues Lining Or Surrounding Your Stomach
Stomach cancer begins when abnormal cells begin to grow in the cells of tissues lining or surrounding your stomach. These injuries can be to muscles, tendons, ligaments, bones or joints. In some cases, chronic, unexplained back pain can occur with advanced prostate cancer. Your stomach is located on the left side of your body in your upper abdominal cavity. Other causes of pain could be due to poor circulation, varico. Chronic back pain can sometimes be a symptom of advanced prostate cancer. Of course, your specialist is the main person whose advice you should follow but it doesn’t do anyone harm. Here are 10 more facts about prostate cancer. Leg pain is generally caused by overuse, wear and tear or as a result of minor injuries, states healthline. Although screenings for prostate cancer are one tool for early detecti. It may grow slowly and it’s typically treatable. Being armed with information is vital to begin the fight. When they hurt, it can prevent you from working, exercising, running errands, taking care of your family and, sometimes, even walking.
Here are 10 more facts about prostate cancer. Finding the source will help identify the necessary treatment. When they hurt, it can prevent you from working, exercising, running errands, taking care of your family and, sometimes, even walking. Prostate cancer is a common type of cancer in men, according to the mayo clinic. Your legs and ankles are the foundation of much of what you do each day.
Being Armed With Information Is Vital To Begin The Fight
Other causes of pain could be due to poor circulation, varico. It may grow slowly and it’s typically treatable. Stomach cancer begins when abnormal cells begin to grow in the cells of tissues lining or surrounding your stomach. One in seven men in the united states will receive a prostate cancer diagnosis during his lifetime. Your legs and ankles are the foundation of much of what you do each day. Prostate cancer is a common type of cancer in men, according to the mayo clinic. Stomach cancer, also known as gastric cancer, is a fairly uncommon form of cancer in the united states, accounting for 1.5% of all cancers diagnosed each year. The earlier the detection of prostate cancer, the better the patient’s chance of survival is. Your stomach is located on the left side of your body in your upper abdominal cavity. Finding the source will help identify the necessary treatment. Here are 10 more facts about prostate cancer. Although screenings for prostate cancer are one tool for early detecti. These injuries can be to muscles, tendons, ligaments, bones or joints.
But hearing the words can still be scary. In some cases, chronic, unexplained back pain can occur with advanced prostate cancer. Your legs and ankles are the foundation of much of what you do each day.
Most leg and ankle pain comes fr. Leg pain is generally caused by overuse, wear and tear or as a result of minor injuries, states healthline. Chronic back pain can sometimes be a symptom of advanced prostate cancer.
Don’t Miss: What Types Of Stomach Cancer Are There
So Why Would You Go See The Doctor
An important clinical goal for you and your doctor should be to detect risk for prostate cancer long before it can cause symptoms.
Thus, any initial detection of signs that you may have prostate cancer is now most commonly the result of a regular check-up carried out by your primary care physician, which may include a digital rectal examination or a prostate specific antigen test.
The most common symptom which may make a man go to either his primary care physician or a urologist, and which might subsequently lead to a diagnosis of prostate cancer, is some form of problem with normal urination.
Since all the symptoms listed above may be caused by prostate cancer and/or by a number of other disorders , it would be wise to talk to your family doctor if you or someone else in your family is having one or more of these problems on a regular basis.
Abdomen Pain And Varicocele In Testis
Q1. My husband constantly has a dull pain in his lower abdomen. He is 52 and has been told that his prostate is slightly enlarged. A CT scan was done, but the doctor could not detect anything, and the pain is still there. What could be causing it?
Prostate enlargement in and of itself usually does not cause abdominal pain. However, urinary tract obstruction, which can be related to an enlarged prostate, may lead to incomplete bladder emptying and abdominal pain. Symptoms of urinary tract obstruction include frequent and urgent urination, getting up at night to urinate, and/or urinary incontinence.
If your husband has not had a digital rectal examination, he certainly should. Prostate enlargement is usually diagnosed by such an examination, which may also detect prostate cancer or any infection of the prostate. To detect urinary obstruction, urologists and other physicians usually assess bladder emptying. Poor bladder emptying, also known as urinary retention, may be caused by other lower urinary tract obstructing conditions or a weak bladder, in addition to an enlarged prostate. Treatment depends on the cause of obstruction.
There are numerous other possibilities that could be causing your husband’s abdominal pain, and a CT scan wouldn’t necessarily detect them. All men over 50 should have a primary care physician who can help address such issues further and be the quarterback for any specialty consultations that might be needed.
Thomas, South Dakota
You May Like: How To Get Rid Of Bacteria In Your Stomach
Symptoms Of Prostate Cancer
- The need to pee often, especially at night
- Trouble starting or stopping a stream of urine
- A weak stream or one that starts and stops
- Leaking pee when you laugh or cough
- Not being able to pee standing up
- Pain or burning when you pee
- Pain or burning when you ejaculate
- Less fluid when you ejaculate
- Blood in your pee or semen
- Pressure or pain in your rectum
- Pain or stiffness in your lower back, hips, pelvis, or thighs
- New trouble getting an erection
These arenât symptoms of the cancer itself. They happen because the cancer growth is blocking your prostate.
What Is Advanced Prostate Cancer
When prostate cancer spreads beyond the prostate or returns after treatment, it is often called advanced prostate cancer.
Prostate cancer is often grouped into four stages.
- Stages I & II: The tumor has not spread beyond the prostate. This is often called early stage or localized prostate cancer.
- Stage III: Cancer has spread outside the prostate, but only to nearby tissues. This is often called locally advanced prostate cancer.
- Stage IV: Cancer has spread outside the prostate to other parts such as the lymph nodes, bones, liver or lungs. This stage is often called advanced prostate cancer.
When an early stage prostate cancer is found, it may be treated or placed on surveillance . If prostate cancer spreads beyond the prostate or returns after treatment, it is often called advanced prostate cancer. Stage IV prostate cancer is not curable, but there are many ways to control it. Treatment can stop advanced prostate cancer from growing and causing symptoms.
There are several types of advanced prostate cancer, including:
If your Prostate Specific Antigen level has risen after the first treatment but you have no other signs of cancer, you have “biochemical recurrence.”
Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer
Non-Metastatic Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer
Metastatic Prostate Cancer
- Lymph nodes outside the pelvis
- Other organs
Metastatic Hormone-Sensitive Prostate Cancer
Recommended Reading: Is Alka Seltzer Good For Upset Stomach
Signs Of Prostate Cancer Your Doctor Can Assess
Your doctor can tell a lot about your prostate by the way that it feels.
The back wall of your prostate is very close to your rectum. If your doctor inserts a finger into your rectum, he can feel the back and sides of your prostate through the thin, soft wall of the rectum. This examination of the prostate is called a digital rectal examination .
The DRE is used to detect possible signs of prostate illness:
- A DRE that finds a smooth, soft prostate but that causes intense pain is commonly a sign of prostate infection, also known as prostatitis.
- A DRE that finds a smooth, rubbery, and enlarged prostate is commonly a sign of prostate enlargement, also known as benign prostate hyperplasia.
- A DRE that finds hard nodules, generalized firmness, or an unusual shape to the prostate is commonly a sign of prostate cancer.
DRE can be used to raise suspicion of prostate cancer. DRE can not be used to rule out prostate cancer.
Many prostate cancers produce no physical signs that can be felt by DRE. In other words, a normal DRE is not a sign that there is no prostate cancer.
It is also well known that if different doctors carry out a DRE on the same patient , they may come to different decisions about what they think they feel.
Figure 1: How the DRE is carried out.
Content on this page last reviewed and updated April 5, 2008.
When To See A Doctor
Consult with your doctor if you experience any of the symptoms discussed on this page particularly if they have been going on for a while. You will need a thorough work-up to determine the underlying cause, which may or may not be prostate cancer.
Its important to understand that other diseases or disorders can share these same symptoms. Benign prostatic hyperplasia , also called enlargement of the prostate, and are quite common. Men with these benign conditions can experience symptoms more often and more severely than men with prostate cancer.
Erectile dysfunction is relatively common, especially as one ages, and can also have causes unrelated to prostate cancer, such as smoking or cardiovascular disease. Experiencing a lower amount of fluid during ejaculation can be related to something as simple as diet or dehydration.
Its important to keep track of your symptoms, determining whats normal or abnormal for your own body. If you are worried about a particular symptom, or if its interfering with a relationship, you should discuss your concerns with your primary care physician.
Prostate Cancer | Bills Story
Also Check: Is There Such Thing As Stomach Cancer
What Is Nausea And Vomiting
Nausea and vomiting usually happen together but they can also happen alone. Nausea is an unpleasant feeling in the back of your throat and stomach. This feeling may cause you to vomit. Some words that people use to talk about nausea are sick to my stomach or feeling queasy. When you have nausea, you may also have some other symptoms like having more saliva in your mouth, feeling dizzy or light-headed, having a hard time swallowing, changes in your skin temperature, and your heart might beat faster.
Most people refer to vomiting as throwing up. Vomiting is when your stomach muscles tighten powerfully. This causes what is in your stomach to come up through your mouth. You can throw up without feeling any nausea.
Sometimes people also have retching. Retching is when you try to vomit but cant bring anything up from your stomach. Other words people use to talk about retching are gagging or having dry heaves..
Stomach Metastasis In A Patient With Prostate Cancer 4 Years After The Initial Diagnosis: A Case Report And A Literature Review
1Department of Medical Oncology, Sisli Etfal Education and Research Hospital, Sisli, 34210 Istanbul, Turkey
2Department of Pathology, Sisli Etfal Education and Research Hospital, Sisli, 34210 Istanbul, Turkey
Prostate cancer commonly metastasizes bones and lymph nodes, but it very rarely spreads to the gastrointestinal tract. However, only five cases of prostate cancer metastatic to the stomach have been previously reported in the literature. We report a case of a 69-year-old man with metastatic prostate cancer who presented with upper gastrointestinal bleeding 4 years after the diagnosis. Esophagogastroscopy revealed multiple ulcerations in the gastric body and histopathological examination confirmed gastric metastasis that originated from prostate cancer. Chemotherapy could not be given because of patient’s refusal. He was treated with LHRH agonist. We suggest that for a man with prostate cancer diagnosed with UGB, stomach metastasis should be considered in the differential diagnosis of UGB.
2. Case Report
Conflict of Interests
Read Also: How To Get Rid Of Stomach Cramps