Using Apple Cider Vinegar As A Stomachache Cure
Another paradoxical-sounding remedy is using acidic drinks to relieve pain from gastric reflux. Since gastric reflux can result in stomach acid leaking out into places its not wanted, your stomachs acidity can end up lower than is optimal for digesting food.
Drinking apple cider vinegar can help improve the levels and ease an upset stomach. This assumes that youre able to, well, stomach the drink in the first place. While apple cider vinegar does its work best if taken raw, you may find mixing it with water, a teaspoon of honey, and sipping slowly to be the more tolerable option.
- Add one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to one cup of warm water.
- Mix in one tablespoon of honey.
- Drink this remedy every three hours until pain is gone.
How To Cope With Side Effects Of Buscopan
What to do about:
- dry mouth â chew sugar-free gum or suck sugar-free sweets
- constipation â get more fibre into your diet, such as fresh fruit, vegetables and cereals, and drink plenty of water. Try to exercise more regularly, for example, by going for a daily walk or run. If this does not help, talk to your pharmacist or doctor.
- blurred vision â do not drive or ride a bike until you can see clearly again. Do not take your next dose of Buscopan if your vision is still blurry. Speak to your doctor or pharmacist if your vision has not returned to normal a day after taking your last dose.
- fast heart rate â if this happens regularly after taking Buscopan, try to take your medicine at a time when you can sit or lie down when the symptoms are worst. It may also help to cut down on alcohol, smoking, caffeine and big meals, as these can make the problem worse. If you’re still having symptoms after a week, speak to your doctor. You may need to change to a different type of medicine.
How Is Rap Diagnosed
When you or your child sees the doctor about RAP, theyâll ask about symptoms and family history. Theyâll want to know when the pain starts and what seems to make it feel worse or better. Then, theyâll do a thorough physical exam.
Theyâll probably take samples of blood and urine to do some tests. They also can order a scan to look inside your body for a problem, such as a CT scan, MRI, or an ultrasound. If youâre over age 50, you may get a colonoscopy, which is when a doctor uses a thin, flexible tool with a camera to look for problems inside your colon and rectum.
The results of these tests will help your doctor decide what kind of treatment will help you or your child the most. If a specific health issue is making your stomach hurt, youâll need to get treatment for that problem. Your doctor could also suggest lifestyle changes like eating different foods or finding ways to manage stress. Often, a mix of different things helps.
If your belly pain keeps coming back for 6 months and your doctor canât find a medical reason why, you may have functional abdominal pain.
You May Like: What Is Stage 4 Stomach Cancer
Why Does Your Stomach Hurt
Stomach cramps can range from mild achiness to severe, stabbing pain.
Common causes of stomach cramps include eating foods that can irritate your stomach, constipation, food poisoning, or a stomach infection. People who have anxiety may also develop stomach cramps.
Pregnant people may experience stomach cramps as the fetus grows. Menstrual cramps are also very common, though they actually take place in the uterus.
Sometimes stomach cramps are constant. In this case, a chronic digestive illness, such as irritable bowel disease, may be the cause.
Most stomach cramps go away on their own within a few hours or a couple of days. Changing what you eat and taking over-the-counter medication can help with symptoms while you recover.
Some stomach cramps may require medical attention. You should be concerned about stomach cramps if they last for a week or longer or are so severe that you cant function, or you also have symptoms like fever or blood in your vomit or stool.
Chamomile Tea To Cure Stomach Pain
Chamomile tea is known to work as an anti-inflammatory along the digestive tract.
If your stomach pain is caused by gastritis or indigestion, a cup of chamomile can offer relief. It does this by relaxing muscles along the stomach and the esophagus, easing the contractions that push food along, and lessens any cramps or spasms you are experiencing.
- Place one teaspoon of dried chamomile in one cup of boiled water.
- Cover and allow to steep for 15 minutes.
- Strain tea and add lemon or honey for taste.
- Drink up to three cups daily
Also Check: Why Is My Stomach Constantly Hurting
How To Get Rid Of The Stomach Flu: 7 Home Remedies
Youre vomiting. You cant stop going to the bathroom. Youre exhausted and all this terribleness just seems to have come out of nowhere. Could it be the stomach flu? If it is, you probably want to know how to get rid of the stomach flu fast!
If you have the stomach flu, it likely may have been caused by norovirus, which is especially known for infecting people in the colder months of the year. This winter vomiting bug, or stomach flu, is known by doctors for being a family affair. In other words, if one person in the family gets it, most likely every family member in the household will get it because its that contagious!
How do you get rid of the stomach flu? Thankfully, many people with the stomach flu feel better within 24 hours. And luckily there are a lot of great natural ways to boost your recovery from a nasty case of stomach flu.
These Home Remedies Can Help You Feel Better
Nothing is more uncomfortable than a rumbling stomach, especially if you have food allergies. You can be fine one minute, and the next minute the stomach pains and gurgling are too much to bear. Sometimes you realize it was something you ate. Other times you are left perplexed trying to figure out what is going on.
Regardless, for those with a sensitive stomach from food allergies, these can be familiar feelings. And even knowing the cause probably won’t help you feel better faster.
When you are faced with a stomach ache, it can leave you running for a bathroom, keep you curled up on the couch, or feeling sick in bed. For many, it can affect daily living. It can also lead to missed work or school.
This article explains how you can deal with stomach pains related to food allergies. It will discuss what causes an upset stomach as well as various at-home treatments you can try.
You May Like: How To Lift Your Stomach
Who May Not Be Able To Take Buscopan
Buscopan is not suitable for some people.
Check with your doctor or pharmacist before taking Buscopan if you:
- ever had an allergic reaction to Buscopan or any other medicine
- a rare type of glaucoma called acute angle closure glaucoma
- a very enlarged bowel
- myasthenia gravis
- a condition where your bowel is blocked and does not work properly, such as paralytic ileus
- are 40 years or over
- are pregnant, trying to get pregnant or breastfeeding
- have recently passed blood in your poo
- are feeling or being sick
- have lost your appetite or lost weight
- are feeling tired and looking paler than usual
- have unusual vaginal bleeding or vaginal discharge
- think you may have food poisoning
- have a very fast heart rate or any other heart problems
- have difficulty or pain when peeing
- have digestive problems such as heartburn and acid reflux, severe constipation or ulcerative colitis
When Should An Adult Seek Medical Care For Abdominal Pain
- Abdominal pain that lasts more than six hours or continues to worsen
- Severe abdominal pain
- Pain that worsens when a person tries to move around
- Pain that starts all over, but settles into one area, especially the right lower abdomen
- Pain that awakens a person up at night
- Pain with vaginal bleeding or pregnancy, even if a female only thinks she might be pregnant
- Pain accompanied by a fever over 101 F
- Pain along with an inability to urinate, move the bowels, or pass gas
- Any other pain that feels different from a simple stomach ache
- Any other pain that alarms a person, or concerns them in any way
If the person has any of the following, or cannot reach their doctor, go to a hospital emergency department:
- Very severe pain
- Pain so bad the affected person passes out or almost passes out
- Pain so bad the affected person cannot move
- Pain and vomiting blood, or any vomiting that lasts more than 6 hours
- Pain and no bowel movement for more than three days
- Pain the person thinks might be in their chest, but they aren’t sure
- Pain that seems to come from the person’s testicles
Recommended Reading: How To Lose My Bloated Stomach
Hold On What Exactly Is Norovirus
Let’s just be frank: Norovirus is extremely not fun. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention , norovirus is an extremely contagious virus that causes diarrhea and vomitingand literally anyone can get it.
Aside from vomiting and diarrhea, other symptoms of norovirus include nausea and stomach pain. Even more bad news? You can’t totally prevent norovirusit spreads easily and quickly through infected people and contaminated foodbut you can do your best to lessen your risk of getting it, like washing your hands frequently and making a point to not share foods or utensils with people who are already infected can help you dodge the stomach flu.
But what if it’s too late and youre already doubled over in your bathroom? While theres no cure for norovirus, these tips will help you feel better soonerincluding what you should eat when the last thing you want is food.
1. Drink lots of fluidsbut not just water.
The risk of dehydration is a big deal when you have norovirus. Fluids are critically important, since youre losing vital bodily fluids through sweating, vomiting, and diarrhea, says Dr. Sonpal. But keep in mind it’s not only fluids you’re losingyou’re also depleting your body of sodium, potassium, and other minerals , which also need to be replaced.
2. Get lots of rest.
What Is Abdominal Pain
- Abdominal pain refers to cramping, dull ache, or a sharp, burning, or twisting pain in the tummy . Abdominal pain is also called stomach, belly, gut, or stomach pain.
- The abdomen contains the major organs such as the stomach, large and small intestines, appendix, gallbladder, spleen, kidneys, and pancreas. The largest artery and vein in the body are also in the abdomen.
- Abdominal pain can be very serious, but most abdominal pain is caused by a minor upset or stomach âbugâ and does not last long. Minor abdominal pain is very common, and people may experience an upset stomach or cramping every few months. You can usually treat abdominal pain yourself and it will go away within a few days.
- Localized pain is defined in one area of ââthe abdomen. This type of pain is usually caused by a problem in a particular organ. Stomach ulcers are the most common cause of localized pain.
- Cramping-like pain may be associated with diarrhea, constipation, bloating, or gas. In women, it can be connected with menstruation, miscarriage, or reproductive complications. This pain comes and goes, and may go away on its own without treatment.
- Colonic pain is a symptom of more serious conditions, such as gallstones or kidney stones. This pain comes on suddenly and can look like a severe muscle spasm.
Recommended Reading: How Do They Detect Stomach Cancer
The Link Between Your Gut Microbiome And Your Health
In addition, many of the underlying conditions that cause abdominal pain can lead to serious complications, including the possibility of structural damage to the digestive system from infection, cancer and its treatments, and inflammatory bowel disease .
To reduce the risk of complications, its important to seek medical attention for your abdominal pain if its sudden and severe, or if it includes symptoms like fever, bloody stool, weight loss, nausea and vomiting, or visible swelling.
Rub The Foot Using Reflexology
“There are thousands of nerves in the feet and hands that, when specific techniques are applied, can cause the entire body to relax and feel calmer,” says Laura Norman, a reflexology practitioner and author of Feet First: A Guide to Food Reflexology. The tummy region corresponds with the center arch of the left foot. Using a reflexology technique, hold your child’s left foot with the palm of your right hand and with your left hand under the ball of the foot, apply a steady, even pressure with your thumb.
Use a forward, caterpillar-like motion to go across the foot. Switch hands and repeat from right to left, with the thumb of your right hand, and continue until you cover the center of the arch. “The child will respond positively to her mom’s loving touch, the parent feels wonderful for being able to help their child, and the parent-child connection is strengthened,” Norman adds.
Recommended Reading: Does Sleeping On Your Stomach Make You Lose Weight
Ginger Tea As A Stomach Pain Remedy
The anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties of ginger neutralize excess acids that cause stomach pain.
Drinking ginger tea may help to stimulate proper digestion by promoting the production of digestive juices while fighting harmful free radicals that cause disease.
Drink two to three cups of ginger tea daily.
- Cut one medium-sized ginger root into thin slices.
- Add the ginger to one cup of boiling water and boil for three minutes.
- Lower heat and simmer for five minutes.
- Strain and add honey for flavor.
How Is The Cause Of The Abdominal Pain Diagnosed
Physical examination will include a careful examination of the patient’s abdomen, heart, and lungs in order to pinpoint the source of the pain.
- The doctor will touch different parts of the abdomen to check for tenderness or other signs that indicate the source of the pain.
- The doctor may do a rectal exam to check for small amounts of blood in the stool or other problems, such as a mass or internal hemorrhoids.
- If the patient is a man, the doctor may check the penis and testicles.
- If the patient is a woman, the doctor may do a pelvic exam to check for problems in the uterus, Fallopian tubes, and ovaries.
- The doctor also may look at the patient’s eyes for yellow discoloration and in the mouth to be sure the patient is not dehydrated.
Laboratory tests may or may not help to determine the cause of the abdominal pain. Combined with the information gained from the questions the patient was asked and the physical examination performed by the doctor, certain blood or urine tests may be ordered and could assist in determining the diagnosis.
Radiology studies of the patient’s abdomen can be useful, but are not always necessary or helpful.
- Occasionally, an X-ray will show air outside of the bowel, meaning that something has ruptured or perforated.
- An X-ray also can help diagnose bowel obstruction.
- Sometimes X-rays can show a kidney stone.
Ultrasound is a painless procedure useful in finding some causes of abdominal pain.
Read Also: How Can I Settle My Cats Stomach
Give Yourself An Abdominal Massage
If your stomachache is due to constipation, giving yourself a gentle abdominal massage can help move things along and relieve the blockage that may be causing the stomachache.
Massaging this area lightly with your forefinger and middle finger in a clockwise motion stimulates muscle contractions and helps break up food that may be stuck in the intestines, either due to overeating, not chewing thoroughly, dehydration, or a lack of enzymes or acid to break down the food in the first place.
Of course, all of these potential inhibitors to digestion should be addressed but massaging can be a quick way to get things moving along and relieve the stomachache in the moment.
Remedies And Treatments For Stomach Pain And Gas
Most stomach pain and gas will go away on its own, but there are steps you can take to ease discomfort and prevent future gas pain. Gas-related stomach pain remedies include:
The only way to get rid of gas is to pass it. Donât hold it in. If youâre worried about odor, try reducing foods that contain sulfur-producing compounds such as broccoli, cabbage, and beer.
Many gas-relieving products are marketed, but scientific evidence of their effectiveness is limited. Many people claim to experience relief, so they may be worth trying. The most common medications that claim to relieve immediate symptoms are activated charcoal and simethicone .
Peppermint and peppermint oil have the best record as digestive aids, but there are many other foods that may help. In one study, Chinese herbal formulae outperformed placebos in soothing IBS symptoms. Commonly included ingredients are:
- Wearing ill-fitting dentures
Enzymes Before Eating Certain Foods
Taking enzymes before you eat can help you better digest your meal. Most enzymes are only available for those with a medical condition that prevents them from producing their own. However, two widely available enzymes for problematic foods are:
- Lactase supplements can help those who are lactose intolerant.
- Alpha-galactosidase supplements can help people digest legumes.
Also Check: How To Lose Excess Stomach Fat