When To Seek Relief
Most minor fluctuations in gas and bowel habits are normal, but if you experience excessive or persistent gas or bloating, its time to seek medical attention, cautions van der Linden. A little gas is probably healthy, but a lot of gas, that could be a problem, he says.
Talk to your doctor if gas symptoms change suddenly, become severe, begin to interfere with your normal activities or are accompanied by other symptoms. A physical exam, stool tests, blood tests and imaging tests, which may include an endoscopy or colonoscopy, might be performed to help rule out or diagnose an underlying health issue. Your physician will also review your symptoms and family history and may recommend keeping a food journal or eliminating certain foods from your diet.
Dietary changes, such as eating more slowly, not gulping food or drinks and avoiding or limiting certain foods or beverages, can help relieve some uncomfortable symptoms. Adding even small bouts of exercise to your day can help push gas through your system and ease bloating. Stress management techniques, like yoga or meditation, can help keep you from unintentionally swallow air when youre talking, which can happen when you’re upset or nervous.
Ginger Tea As A Stomach Pain Remedy
The anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties of ginger neutralize excess acids that cause stomach pain.
Drinking ginger tea may help to stimulate proper digestion by promoting the production of digestive juices while fighting harmful free radicals that cause disease.
Drink two to three cups of ginger tea daily.
- Cut one medium-sized ginger root into thin slices.
- Add the ginger to one cup of boiling water and boil for three minutes.
- Lower heat and simmer for five minutes.
- Strain and add honey for flavor.
Gas Pains For Around 2 Weeks Is This Really Gas Pain What Else Could It Be
over a year ago
over a year ago
This is almost surely diet related.
In short: You need to hydrate, eat veggies and a healthy diet, not snack foods Or fried food.
I feel that this is largely due to WHAT you are eating as opposed to WHEN and that more specifically this is likely a gluten intolerance, celiac disease sufferers report similar gastrointestinal problems. I suggest cutting out wheat, barley, rye or oats. Acceptable grains would include corn, rice, millet, teff and sorghum. A high protein diet is also recommended such as the Atkins or paleo diets.
Try this: eat healthy balanced meals every day with no snack foods or sugary drinks do this for a month, if the problem persists then see a doctor. As extreme as they pain might be, it is almost surely directly related to what foods you are eating.
i suffered similarly for many years and the problem completely went away when I cut out bread, pasta and junk foods. Also go to the drug store and get bar probiotic, this helps to balance your stomach bacteria for generally healthy intestine. Drink lots of water, I generally carry a water bottle at all times and no longer suffer like I used to.
if you don’t want to change your diet, sadly you will still suffer but at least take probiotics, drink water and get lots more fiber.
Recommended Reading: Can Birth Control Help Stomach Issues
Get Up And Walk Around
Exercise isnt just great for your overall healthit can also help clear up painful gas and bloating. While a five-mile run probably isnt first on your to-do list when youre doubled over in pain, if you can manage a quick walk or other gentle movement, that can make a big difference.
Exercise helps exercise your intestines, too, Dr. Wakim-Fleming says. Experts dont know exactly why exercise helps move gas along, but something about physical activity helps to boost your intestines muscle activity, Ashkan Farhadi, M.D., a gastroenterologist at MemorialCare Orange Coast Medical Center and director of MemorialCare Medical Groups Digestive Disease Project in Fountain Valley, Calif., tells SELF.
Red Flags You Shouldnt Ignore
Gas is usually not a medical emergency, but when accompanied by certain worrisome symptoms, its a good idea to speak with your doctor. Colon cancer is one potential concern, van der Linden says. If is in the lower part of the colon and causing a partial blockage, it could make things back up a little bit easier, he says.
Additional warning signs of a potentially serious health issue that requires medical attention include:
- Bloody stool
- Changes in frequency of bowel movements
- Persistent diarrhea or constipation
Read Also: How Can I Get Rid Of Stomach Acid
Urgent Advice: Speak To Your Gp As Soon As Possible If:
- you have severe abdominal pain, especially if it’s concentrated in one area
- the pain starts suddenly or unexpectedly
If your GP is closed, phone 111.
Serious causes of sudden severe abdominal pain include:
- appendicitis the swelling of the appendix means your appendix will need to be removed
- a bleeding or perforated stomach ulcer
- acute cholecystitis inflammation of the gallbladder, which may need to be removed
- kidney stones small stones may be passed out in your urine, but larger stones may block the kidney tubes, and you’ll need to go to hospital to have them broken up
- diverticulitis inflammation of the small pouches in the bowel that sometimes requires treatment with antibiotics in hospital
If your GP suspects you have one of these conditions, they may refer you to hospital immediately.
Sudden and severe pain in your abdomen can also sometimes be caused by an infection of the stomach and bowel . It may also be caused by a pulled muscle in your abdomen or by an injury.
What Are The Common Symptoms Of Excessive Gas
The passage of gas through the digestive tract causes no symptoms in most people. It is normal to pass gas daily. When gas becomes bothersome, it is due to an excess of gas.
Excess gas can be accompanied by symptoms, such as:
- Feeling stuffed and suffocated
- Increase in the size of the abdomen
- Chronic stress
- The pelvic floor muscles and anal sphincter do not relax the way they should. This issue is called dyssynergia.
You May Like: How Much Does Coolsculpting Cost For Stomach
Mylanta Tonight Antacid + Antigas Honey Chamomile Flavor
For many people, heartburn hits most often in the evening. Not to worry. Mylanta Tonight, with its soothing honey chamomile flavor, is perfect for fast heartburn relief after dinner. This powerful liquid starts to work on contact to ease the burn so you can relax and enjoy your evening.
But Mylanta Tonight isnÃ¢ÂÂt just for evenings just like other Mylanta liquids, itÃ¢ÂÂs non-drowsy and can be used any time of the day. With its great taste and extra coating power, Mylanta Tonight helps make heartburn feel better fast.
Mylanta Antacid And Gas Relief Maximum Strength Formula Classic Flavor 12 Fluid Ounce
|Get Fast, Free Shipping with & Return this item for free
- by entering your model number.
- New Smooth Creamy Taste and Extra Coating Power
- Tough on heartburn and Gentle on your body
- Works on contact
- Easy grip bottle dosage cup included
Similar item to consider
Read Also: How To Lose Stomach With Waist Trainer
Mylanta Maximum Strength Antacid + Antigas Classic Flavor
For years, consumers and doctors have relied on the power and speed of Mylanta Maximum Strength Liquid to help soothe and relieve heartburn, acid indigestion and bothersome gas symptoms to feel better fast.
Mylanta Maximum Strength works by neutralizing the acid that it comes in contact with. So it works at the source of your symptoms to provide fast relief. And Mylanta is gentle on the body and can be used as directed every day. You’ll love the refreshing lemon-mint flavor of our Classic formula!
Also try our other products:
How To Get Rid Of Gas Conventionally
When gas pains are severe and reoccur frequently, a trip to the doctor is in order. It is important to receive a proper diagnosis for the cause of the gas pain as some potentially serious conditions can present with bloating and pain.
In addition to a medical history and physical examination to check for distension, your physician will review your diet and perhaps order tests. Commonly requested tests include: blood tests, lactose intolerance tests, fructose malabsorption tests, colon cancer screening and, in some cases, an upper GI series of X-rays.
If persistent gas pain is determined to be caused by an underlying health condition, successful treatment of the condition should help to relieve symptoms. In other cases, your physician will often recommended dietary changes, lifestyle modifications and over-the-counter medications.
Medications recommended may include:
- Beano: Made from a sugar digesting enzyme, this medication may be recommended to help you digest the sugar in vegetables and beans.
- Lactase Supplements: A supplement made from lactase, the digestive enzyme that helps to breakdown lactose.
- Bisumth Subsalicylate : A medication that generally reduces the odor of flatus. This medication should not be taken long-term or if you have an allergy to aspirin.
- Simethicone Antacids : Medications that help to break up the bubbles in the gas, making it easier to expel.
- Antibiotics: In you have SIBO or another infection.
Also Check: How To Remove Loose Skin From Stomach
When Stomach Pain Is An Emergency
Stomach pain can sometimes be caused by a life-threatening condition. Some examples are:
- Bowel obstruction, which is when food or waste blocks the intestine
- Bowel perforation, which is a hole in the intestine that leaks food material
These emergencies usually cause pain that feels extreme. Your stomach pain may be urgent if:
- You are pregnant
- Your pain started within a week of abdominal surgery
- Your pain started after a procedure in your stomach area, such as an endoscopy
- You have ever had surgery on your digestive tract, such as gastric bypass, a colostomy, or a bowel resection
- Your pain started shortly after an abdominal trauma
- Your abdomen is bruised or rapidly expanding
Even if you don’t have these symptoms, get help if you feel unusually severe pain.
Sometimes stomach pain is mild at first but gets worse after a few hours. You may also develop other symptoms. Get help right away if you have any of these symptoms along with stomach pain:
- Extremely hard abdomen
- Inability to have a bowel movement, along with vomiting
- Pain in neck, shoulder, or between shoulder blades
- Vision changes
If you have these symptoms, call for an ambulance or have someone drive you to the emergency room. You should not “wait and see” or take medicine for the pain. Get help right away.
Chamomile Tea To Cure Stomach Pain
Chamomile tea is known to work as an anti-inflammatory along the digestive tract.
If your stomach pain is caused by gastritis or indigestion, a cup of chamomile can offer relief. It does this by relaxing muscles along the stomach and the esophagus, easing the contractions that push food along, and lessens any cramps or spasms you are experiencing.
- Place one teaspoon of dried chamomile in one cup of boiled water.
- Cover and allow to steep for 15 minutes.
- Strain tea and add lemon or honey for taste.
- Drink up to three cups daily
Read Also: What Foods Heal Stomach Lining
What Are The Complications Of Intestinal Gas
Extra gas can cause pain, discomfort and embarrassment, but its usually not a serious health problem. Gas buildup can sometimes feel more worrisome, though. Gas on the left side of the colon can cause chest pain that you might mistake for a heart attack. Gas buildup on the right side can mimic pain from gallstones or appendicitis. A health professional should check out these symptoms for any concerning underlying cause.
Fastest Ways To Cure Gas Pains:
There are many ways to cure gas pains fast. Some of these methods are natural while there are also others, such as prescription and over the counter drugs,to help cure such pains and discomfort. Looking at these lists, you can see some of the most common and efficient ways to cure gas pains quickly.
Also Check: What Can I Do To Make My Stomach Flat
Take Some Deep Breaths
Deep breathing may help with gas pain. But this only tends to work if it’s something you practice regularly.
Since deep breathing from the diaphragm is so effective for reducing stress, it’s worth taking the time to learn how to do it. You can then use this breathing technique as needed for future gas attacks.
Can Probiotics Cause Gas And Stomach Pain
There are many known benefits in taking probiotics, but do they have side effects? Can probiotics cause gas and stomach pain?
The quick answer is yes.
However, this is not something to fret over with. As a matter of fact, the underlying reasons are surprisingly good, which youll learn in this article. Youll also learn the other side effects and determine when you should stop taking probiotics entirely.
You May Like: How To Slim Down Your Stomach In 2 Weeks
What Is The Treatment For Excessive Gas
The doctor may recommend the following treatment for excessive gas:
- Avoid smoking, chewing gum, and eating and drinking slowly to reduce the amount of air you swallow
- Avoid or limit foods that make you gassy
- Take over-the-counter digestive enzymes to aid in the digestion of carbohydrates in foods that create gas
- Take over-the-counter antacids, which will help you get rid of gas in the digestive tract
Learn The Common Causes And Home Remedies For Stomach Pain
My stomach hurts. If you have children, chances are youve heard this statement at least once.
Stomach pain is one of the most common complaints among children and teens. It can range from mild discomfort to severe cramping, burning or nausea. While most cases arent serious, its helpful to know what can cause stomach pain and when to call a doctor.
Here are some of the most frequent causes of stomach problems in small children and teens:
Gas pain or indigestion is common in kids of all ages. Diet often plays a role. Carbonated drinks, such as soda may upset the stomach, especially if the child drinks through a straw. Spicy foods, beans, citrus and caffeine may cause gas.
Younger kids may not know what constipation is or that it can lead to stomach pain. If your child complains of stomach pain around the belly button or the left lower side of the abdomen, ask them when they last pooped, or if theyre having problems doing it.
Too much of anything, from pizza and popcorn to Halloween candy, can cause abdominal pain. Kids often eat quickly and dont realize theyre full until theyve overdone it. Plus, eating too quickly can contribute to discomfort.
Milk allergy is a reaction to a protein in milk that may cause cramps. It is not the same as lactose intolerance.
When to call the pediatrician
Home treatment for tummy aches
Recommended Reading: How To Lose C Section Stomach
How Is Intestinal Gas Diagnosed
Your healthcare provider may ask you to keep a food diary for a week or more to see if certain foods or drinks make you gassy. Because excessive gas can be a sign of a health problem, you may need one or more of these tests:
- Blood tests: These tests detect certain conditions like celiac disease that cause gas.
- Breath test: A hydrogen breath test identifies lactose intolerance or abnormal bacterial growth in the intestine.
- Colon screening: A flexible sigmoidoscopy lets your provider view the lower part of your colon and rectum . With a colonoscopy, the provider views all of the large intestine. These tests help identify digestive disorders like Crohns disease as well as colon cancer.
- Food elimination: Your healthcare provider may suggest removing certain foods to see if gas symptoms improve. For example, if youre less gassy after cutting out dairy, you might be lactose intolerant unable to break down lactose, a sugar in milk.
- Gastrointestinal tract exam: If you belch a lot, your provider may perform a gastrointestinal exam called an upper GI test or barium swallow. You swallow a solution that coats the esophagus, stomach and part of the small intestine with barium for easier viewing on X-rays.
Is It Just Intestinal Gas
Keep in mind that some people pass gas more than 20 times a day, and that can be considered normal depending on the individual. Unless there are underlying problems or alarming symptoms, such as blood in the stool, weight loss, abdominal pain, family history of malignancy, or difficulty swallowing, it’s probably nothing to be concerned about, according to Dr. Shatnawei. So what you may think is excessive gas may be a rather ordinary amount. Keeping and reviewing a diet journal could easily help you identify the source of the problem as one of the many gas-producing foods. Here are some simple ways to tell if intestinal gas is behind your bloating and discomfort:
- You feel the urge to pass gas or to belch.
- You get relief from the bloating and pain when you pass gas.
- Your pain and bloating don’t persist or worsen.
- Excessive gas and bloating get better when you make certain changes to your diet, like eliminating dairy, cutting back on fiber, or limiting high-fat foods.
- Pain and bloating improve when you swallow less air, which is what happens when, for example, you chew gum or eat too quickly.
You May Like: What To Wear To Flatten Your Stomach