Is Stomach Flu Contagious
Yes! Usually a virus causes the stomach flu. Symptoms appear one to three days after exposure, so you are contagious before you begin to develop symptoms.
And even after youve recovered from your symptoms, you can remain contagious for up to two weeks. Children can remain contagious for an even longer period afterward.
To decrease the risk of passing it onto others, do not go to work or school with symptoms. If you have a fever, wait until its gone for 24 hours before returning to your routine.
Dizicum: Treats Stomach Bloating
- Brand name Dizicum
- Composition Aluminum Hydroxide and Magnesium Hydroxide
- Popularity 8
- Aluminium and magnesium hydroxide as antacids and decreases the acid present in stomach which causes bloating.
- Dosage It is available in the form of tablet to be taken by mouth, four times a day after meals and at bedtime.
- Price Dizicum is supplied as a strip containing 10 tablets . Each strip is of 9.69.
What Otc Medicines To Avoid During Pregnancy
Pregnant women should avoid the following medications: ibuprofen , Bactrim , aspirin, naproxen , and codeine. When choosing medications, avoid all-in-one medications such as cold medicine that treats nasal congestion, fever, and aches and pains with one dose. Instead, treat specific symptoms . This decreases the chance of choosing a medication that might have ingredients that arent safe for you or your baby.
Gaviscon: Relieves Indigestion And Stomach Bloating
- Composition Sodium Alginate, Sodium Bicarbonate, Calcium Carbonate
- Popularity 8
- Sodium alginate works by reducing gastric reflux by forming a rigid raft of alginic acid in the stomach. Sodium bicarbonate and calcium carbonate is an antacid works by reducing stomach acid.
- It is available in the form of liquid to be taken orally, as directed by your physician.
- Price Gaviscon is supplied as a liquid syrup in a 150ml bottle. Each bottle is of 111.
How To Get Rid Of Nausea
Nausea can be prompted by a wide variety of circumstances such as motion or sea sickness, certain medications, emotional distress, intense pain, food intolerances, drinking too much alcohol, overeating, and early pregnancy, explains Sunitha Posina, MD, an NYC-based internist.
There are two primary ways to treat nausea: nausea medication and home remedies. Medications work in a variety of ways, depending on which drug you take. One way anti-nausea drugs work is by blocking the receptors that cause the sensation of nausea. Another way is to coat and calm the stomach. Some nausea medicines may also move food through the stomach faster.
Don’t Miss: How Effective Is Coolsculpting On Stomach
Agrocid: Reduces Stomach Acid Which Causes Bloating
- Brand name Agrocid
- Composition Magnesium Hydroxide
- Popularity 7
- Magnesium hydroxide is an antacid and a laxative which reduces the acid in the stomach and softens feces for smooth motility.
- Dosage It is available in the form of liquid suspension, to be taken once in a day.
- Price Agrocid is supplied as a liquid suspension in a bottle for 39.52.
Is It Nausea Or Something Else When To See A Doctor
Nausea may often have a benign cause but can also be a harbinger of something dangerous, Dr. Barsky says. If nausea persists, recurs, worsens, or is accompanied by other symptoms, one should consider seeking medical attention.
If you have the following symptoms in addition to nausea, seek medical advice immediately:
- Chest pains
Don’t Miss: Can Stress Cause Stomach Ulcers
When To See A Doctor For A Stomach Ache
If your symptoms are persistent and you’re having ongoing abdominal pain, it’s best to see your doctor rather than continuing to take these meds to rule out serious conditions.
Also, if your stomach ache is accompanied by nausea, vomiting, and fever, Gagneja says you should seek medical attention as soon as possible instead of trying to mask the symptoms with OTC medications. These symptoms could be a sign of appendicitis, which must be treated by a doctor.
Keep in mind that OTC medications are just band-aids for relieving symptoms. They are not designed to address any serious underlying condition, such as inflammatory bowel disease , celiac disease, ulcers, or cancer, Gagneja says. This is why it’s not recommended to take these medications long-term if symptoms are persisting.
“If people keep on taking these symptom relief over the counter meds, then those diseases can be missed,” says Gagneja.
Good Sense Gas Relief Ultra Strength
GoodSense is another well-known brand in the pharmaceuticals market. Their Gas Relief Ultra Strength medicine is known to quickly relieve gassiness, and target a few other symptoms such as pain and diarrhea at the same time.
What makes GoodSense Gas Relief Ultra Strength medicine a common choice among buyers is its price. Combining effectiveness, fast results, and a reasonable cost, buyers often opt for this medication as soon as they see it on a drugstores shelves.
However, dont let price dictate your purchasing behavior. It pays to consider that GoodSense Gas Relief Ultra Strength medicine doesnt work on everyone, with some users claiming that the medication did nothing for them. To avoid spending too much for medicine that wont do you good, try to purchase a few at a time and see how well your body responds to the formula.
Also Check: How To Naturally Heal Stomach Lining
Loperamide: Cures Cramping In The Stomach Due To Diarrhoea
- Brand name Imodium
- Popularity level 8
- This medication is used to treat sudden diarrhea . It works by slowing down the movement of the gut. This decreases the number of bowel movements and makes the stool less watery.
- Dosage 2 tablets per day, once in the morning and once in the evening.
- Consumption of alcohol is contraindicated during use of this medicine.
- Price The price range for Imodium 2 mg is $0.34 $1.50 per pill or unit.
How Is Rap Diagnosed
When you or your child sees the doctor about RAP, theyâll ask about symptoms and family history. Theyâll want to know when the pain starts and what seems to make it feel worse or better. Then, theyâll do a thorough physical exam.
Theyâll probably take samples of blood and urine to do some tests. They also can order a scan to look inside your body for a problem, such as a CT scan, MRI, or an ultrasound. If youâre over age 50, you may get a colonoscopy, which is when a doctor uses a thin, flexible tool with a camera to look for problems inside your colon and rectum.
The results of these tests will help your doctor decide what kind of treatment will help you or your child the most. If a specific health issue is making your stomach hurt, youâll need to get treatment for that problem. Your doctor could also suggest lifestyle changes like eating different foods or finding ways to manage stress. Often, a mix of different things helps.
If your belly pain keeps coming back for 6 months and your doctor canât find a medical reason why, you may have functional abdominal pain.
You May Like: What To Take For Stomach Flu
Antacid: Cures Stomach Ache Due To Hyperacidity
- Brand name Alamag suspension
- Composition Aluminum and magnesium hydroxide
- Popularity level 8
- This medication is used to treat the symptoms of too much stomach acid such as stomach upset, heartburn, and acid indigestion. Aluminum and magnesium antacids work quickly to lower the acid in the stomach. Liquid antacids usually work faster/better than tablets or capsules.
- Dosage Take this medication by mouth, usually after meals and at bedtime as needed. Follow all the directions on the product package or use as directed by your doctor. If you are uncertain about any of this information, consult your doctor or pharmacist.
- Price A bottle of 100ml of the medicine costs 200.
Take Some Pepto Bismol
When an upset stomach is caused by eating or drinking too much or accompanies diarrhea, itâs Pepto Bismol to the rescue! Our favorite remedy is also a quick way to fix your tummy woes. Pepto Bismol soothes your discomfort with proteins that enhance the viscosity of the protective layer in the upper gastrointestinal tract to help you feel better.
Also Check: What Causes My Stomach To Feel Bloated
Who Shouldnt Take Otc Antidiarrheal Medicines
Dont take antidiarrheal medicines if bacteria or parasites are causing your diarrhea. If you have a stomach bug, your body needs to get rid of the bacteria or parasite that is causing the diarrhea. Stopping the diarrhea in this case can actually make your condition worse. Talk to your family doctor if you think you have a bacterial or parasitic infection.
Dont give loperamide to children 2 years of age or younger unless your doctor says its okay. Check with your doctor before using loperamide for older children, as well.
You shouldnt take loperamide if you have a fever. Dont use it if youve ever had a rash or an allergic reaction after taking it. Dont take loperamide if you have bloody or black stools. These may be signs of a more serious problem, such as a bacterial infection.
Some people are allergic to aspirin or other salicylate medicines. They should not take bismuth subsalicylate. Dont give bismuth subsalicylate to children 12 years of age or younger. Dont give it to children or teenagers who may have the flu or chickenpox. This increases their risk for Reye syndrome. This is a serious illness that can lead to death.
Can Otc Antidiarrheal Medicines Cause Problems With Other Medicines I Take
Taking certain medicines with antidiarrheal medicines can increase your risk for side effects. Bismuth subsalicylate also may affect some medicines, causing them not to work as well. Ask your doctor before taking loperamide or bismuth subsalicylate if you also take:
- Medicines for arthritis.
- Medicines for diabetes.
Also ask your doctor before taking bismuth subsalicylate if you take pain relievers or cold medicines. These medicines may contain aspirin, which is a salicylate. You may get too much salicylate if you take more than one of these medicines at a time.
Don’t Miss: How To Lose Stomach Fat In 1 Day
Unienzyme: Treats Bloating Indigestion And Gas
- Brand nameUnienzyme
- Composition Fungal Diastase, Charcoal, Papain
- Fungal diastase is the natural pro-digestive enzyme and works by breaking down carbohydrates. Papain, extracted from papaya, is an enzyme and breakdown proteins in the stomach and helps in digestion. Charcoal binds with unwanted substances and toxins in the stomach and push them out of the body.
- Dosage It is available in the form of tablet to be taken orally, once a day after taking the meal.
- Price Unienzyme is supplied as a strip containing 15 tablets. Each strip is of 48.4.
Best Medicines For Bloating 2020
Feeling bloated and gassy? Its easy to feel like your stomach is unpleasantly full when you eat the wrong food too fast and too much. No doubt, tooting your way through work or chores can be very unsettling, but there are things you can do to help ease that discomfort fast.
Taking some over the counter meds for bloating will relieve that full, gassy feeling in just a few minutes however, dont think that any old medicine will get the job done for you. Your body is unique, reacting positively only to medication formulations that are right for it.
Before you go out and buy a remedy for your excessive gassiness, be sure to read through this comprehensive buying guide for the best medicine for bloating.
Don’t Miss: Can You Transfer Fat From Stomach To Breast
How Do Doctors Treat Viral Gastroenteritis
Your doctor may prescribe medicine to control severe vomiting. Doctors dont prescribe antibiotics to treat viral gastroenteritis. Antibiotics dont work for viral infections.
In some cases, your doctor may recommend probiotics. Probiotics are live microbes, most often bacteria, that are like the ones you normally have in your digestive tract. Studies suggest that some probiotics may help shorten a case of diarrhea. Researchers are still studying the use of probiotics to treat viral gastroenteritis. For safety reasons, talk with your doctor before using probiotics or any other complementary or alternative medicines or practices.
Anyone with signs or symptoms of dehydration should see a doctor right away. Doctors may need to treat people with severe dehydration in a hospital.
The Risk Of Stomach Bleeding Associated With Nsaids Is Increased In Certain People Including Those
WITH A HISTORY OF STOMACH BLEEDING OR STOMACH ULCERS
OVER THE AGE OF 60
TAKING A BLOOD THINNING OR STEROID DRUG
WHO HAVE 3 OR MORE ALCOHOLIC DRINKS EVERY DAY WHILST USING AN NSAID
TAKING OTHER DRUGS CONTAINING PRESCRIPTION OR NONPRESCRIPTION NSAIDS
TAKING MORE THAN THE RECOMMENDED DOSE OF AN NSAID OR FOR A LONGER TIME THAN DIRECTED
How Do You Treat High Stomach Acid Naturally
5 ways to improve stomach acid
When To See A Doctor
An upset stomach and diarrhea are usually nothing to worry about. Consult your doctor if the symptoms donât go away after two days or if they begin to get worse in that time. Additionally, consult your doctor if you experience any of the following:
- You feel dehydrated, including feeling excessive thirst, dry mouth, little or no urination, severe weakness, dizziness, or lightheadedness
- You have severe abdominal or rectal pain
- You have a fever of more than 102 degrees Fahrenheit
Recommended Reading: What To Do When Your Stomach Hurts From Period
Bismuth: Cures Cramping In The Stomach Due To Diarrhoea
- Brand name Kaopectate, Peptobismol
- Composition Bismuth subsalicylate
- Popularity level 7
- Bismuth is an antidiarrhoeal drug that acts by decreasing PG synthesis in the intestinal mucosa due to which chloride secretion and loss of water from the intestines deceases.
- Dosage It is taken as a suspension, 60 ml in every 6 hours.
- Price Kaopectate costs $14.00 per pill or unit.
What Not To Eat
Generally, avoid dairy, fibrous foods, and anything fatty or spicy.
- Dairy: Not everyone has a problem with milk when they have the stomach flu, but it could be hard to digest and can aggravate gas and diarrhea.
- Fiber: You dont need the extra fiber if your bowels are loose.
- Grease: Avoid greasy and salty foods like bacon.
- Spices: Stay away from tomato-based dishes, curries, and chili sauces.
Acupressure has been shown to be effective in treating some types of nausea. The Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center suggests finding pressure point P-6 by measuring the width of three fingers down from the bottom of your palm.
Press below that width with your thumb and youll feel a sensitive spot between two tendons. Gently massage with your thumb for two or three minutes.
Sea-Bands are a product worn on the wrists. These can be useful in treating nausea if the P-6 acupressure point gives you relief.
Also Check: How To Lose Your Stomach But Keep Your Booty
What Otc Medicines Are Safe During Pregnancy
Pregnancy brings with it a laundry list of ailments and complaints. Luckily, several over-the-counter remedies are safe to use during pregnancy. Although the following list isnt comprehensive, it should give you a general idea about whats okay to take during pregnancy to relieve common complaints. Again, discuss any medications you take with your doctor.
Bloatinol Plain: Treats Bloating Caused By Flatulence
- Brand name Bloatinol Plain
- Composition Simethicone
- Popularity 8
- Simethicone acts in the stomach to change the surface tension of gas bubbles, thus forming a bigger bubble and leads to the elimination of gas.
- Dosage It is available in the form of liquid suspension to be taken by mouth, four times a day after meals and at bedtime.
- Price Bloatinol Plain is supplied as a liquid suspension in a bottle for 19.
- Not recommended for people with liver and kidney impairment.
Don’t Miss: How To Flatten And Tone Stomach
What Can You Take For Nausea Relief 20 Nausea Medications And Remedies
Weve all felt nauseated before, whether from getting car sick, eating something unpleasant, or taking medicine on an empty stomach. Nauseathe sensation of an upset stomach that can sometimes lead to vomitingis not an enjoyable feeling. But thankfully, there are nausea medications and home remedies for nausea relief .
RELATED: How to treat nausea in pregnancy
Avoiding Smoking And Drinking Alcohol
Smoking can irritate the throat, increasing the likelihood of an upset stomach. If the person has vomited, smoking can further irritate the tender tissue already sore from stomach acids.
As a toxin, alcohol is difficult to digest and can cause damage to the liver and stomach lining.
People with an upset stomach should avoid smoking and drinking alcohol until they are feeling better.
Read Also: Why Does The Left Side Of My Stomach Hurt
Are Prescription Nsaids Better
NSAIDs are available both over-the-counter and as a prescription medication. It is very important to understand that while there are differences between prescription and non-prescription NSAIDs, this difference is not the potential relief of symptoms. Many patients find their best response from over-the-counter NSAIDs.
There has been no study showing that newer NSAIDs , prescription NSAIDs, or more expensive NSAIDs treat pain or swelling any better than more traditional NSAID medications. Most of the research evaluating the effects of NSAIDs has been done using over-the-counter ibuprofen.
Why Tylenol Can Be A Better Option:
- #1 Doctor Recommended Pain Relief brand for those with stomach problems.
- TYLENOL® will not upset the stomach the way naproxen sodium , or even Ibuprofen can.
- TYLENOL® can help relieve your pain while being gentle on your stomach.
- TYLENOL® can be taken on an empty stomach.
- TYLENOL® may be a safe over the counter pain reliever for those with a history of stomach bleeding, stomach ulcers, or stomach problems such as heartburn.
- TYLENOL® is not an NSAID. NSAIDs can cause stomach ulcers and an increased risk of severe stomach bleeding.
Don’t Miss: Can You Get Stomach Cancer From Smoking