How To Get Rid Of Gas
Often, your gas is caused by what you eat. Food is digested primarily in your small intestine. What is left undigested is fermented in your colon with bacteria, fungi, and yeast, as part of digestion. This process produces methane and hydrogen, which are expelled as flatus.
For many people, changing dietary habits is enough to alleviate gas and its accompanying symptoms. One way to determine which foods are giving you gas is by keeping a food diary. Common culprits include:
- foods with high fat content
- fried or spicy food
- artificial ingredients commonly found in low-carbohydrate and sugar-free products, such as sugar alcohol, sorbitol, and maltitol
- beans and lentils
- cruciferous vegetables, such as Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, and broccoli
- prunes or prune juice
- foods containing lactose, such as milk, cheese, and other dairy products
- fermentable oligosaccharides, disaccharides, monosaccharides, and polyols molecules found in a wide range of foods, such as garlic and onion, that may be hard to digest
- over-the-counter fiber drinks and supplements
Once you figure out what food is causing the gas, you can modify your diet to avoid the culprit.
If changing your diet doesnt completely do the trick, you have several options to try.
Treatment For Stomach Pain During Periods
Scientifically proven advice has always been the NSAIDs , these lower the level of prostaglandins. . Another piece of advice is to take on Oral Contraceptive Pills, these will prevent ovulation and before following these treatment options you must get consulted with the best doctor to identify the underlying causes of the pain.
The Following Approaches also Should be Tried
- Applying heat by using hot water bottles or heating pads, taking a warm bath or going to the sauna
- Fortify: Vitamin B1 or magnesium supplements may reduce cramps, bloating and other PMS symptoms. . Special diets and dietary supplements
- Herbal products and herbal teas for medicinal us, homeopathic medicines.
- Procedures which target pain stimuli, such as acupuncture, acupressure or TENS
Using Alcoholic Bitters To Relieve Stomach Pain
You may raise an eyebrow, but did you know that alcoholic bitters can naturally relieve stomach pain?
Many common brands of bitters contain a mix of mint, ginger, cinnamon, and fennel, all of which are known to help ease stomach pain in one form or another. Five to six drops in a glass of club soda or ginger ale might surprise you.
You May Like: What Is Best Cat Food For Cats With Sensitive Stomachs
Medicated Ways To Get Rid Of Gas Pains:
Take antacid after 30 minutes of eating helps in preventing the apparition of gas pains. If you already have the symptoms of gas pains, you can take two tablespoons of liquid antacid or chew an antacid tablet in order to relief yourself from the gas pain.
Antibiotics are only to be taken after seeing a doctor for your discomfort. In the case of acute gas pains, your doctor may prescribe suitable antibiotics for your stomach issues.
3.Other ways to get rid of gas pain:
1.Release the Air:
Once you feel gas pain, one of the first things you should do is find a private place such as a bathroom to release the gas. It is better that you shouldnt do it in public. This generally provides rapid relief.
It is medically recommended that you eat slowly in order to prevent air from getting into your stomach. Doctors also recommend chewing food carefully and correctly, in order to prevent gas from forming in your intestine.
Exercising helps your digestive system function correctly by making it work faster and more effectively. Even if you dont like or dont have time to exercise, walking for at least half an hour everyday willprovide great benefits for your digestive system.
4.Avoid Carbonated Beverages:
Carbonated drinks such as sodas are known to be one of the most common causes of gas pains.It is recommended that you avoid drinking such beverages in order to prevent such pains from appearing.
6.Use a Heating Pad:
When To See A Doctor About Abdominal Pain
Go straight to your doctor or the emergency department of the nearest hospital if you have any of:
- severe pain
- pain lasting for several hours
- pain and/or vaginal bleeding if you are pregnant
- pain in your scrotum if you are a male
- pain and vomiting or shortness of breath
- pain and vomiting blood
- blood in your bowel motions or urine
- pain that spreads to your chest, neck or shoulder
- fever and sweats
- unable to move your bowels or pass gas
- any other concerns.
Don’t Miss: Does Colon Cancer Cause Stomach Pain
Stomach Pain And Long
Because of the extra acid in your stomach and the changes to the way your body processes nutrients, the stomach pain from anxiety can be a problem if left untreated. Ulcers are just one example. Some people experience heartburn from anxiety, and others eat less often, giving their body fewer nutrients.
The stomach pain from anxiety and stress is rarely dangerous, but it is still important to treat it, because the effects on your long-term health when it is left untreated may be harder to manage.
When Is Stomach Pain Most Likely To Occur
If you have anxiety, stomach pain can occur at any time even when no anxiety is present. However, many people experience stomach pain during panic attacks.
The exact link between an anxiety attack and stomach pain is not clear, other than the fact that during a panic attack, your body is under a considerable amount of stress, and your hormones are often on overdrive. Also, those with anxiety attacks are prone to hyperventilation, which may lead to symptoms that create stomach pain.
You May Like: How Do Probiotics Work In The Stomach
What To Expect At Your Office Visit
Your provider will perform a physical exam and ask about your symptoms and medical history. Your specific symptoms, the location of pain and when it occurs will help your provider detect the cause.
LOCATION OF YOUR PAIN
- Where do you feel the pain?
- Is it all over or in one spot?
- Does the pain move into your back, groin, or down your legs?
TYPE AND INTENSITY OF YOUR PAIN
- Is the pain severe, sharp, or cramping?
- Do you have it all the time, or does it come and go?
- Does the pain wake you up at night?
HISTORY OF YOUR PAIN
- Have you had similar pain in the past? How long has each episode lasted?
- When does the pain occur? For example, after meals or during menstruation?
- What makes the pain worse? For example, eating, stress, or lying down?
- What makes the pain better? For example, drinking milk, having a bowel movement, or taking an antacid?
- What medicines are you taking?
OTHER MEDICAL HISTORY
- Have you had a recent injury?
- Are you pregnant?
Have A Bowl Of Yogurt
Yogurt might not seem like an obvious remedy for stomach problems, but if you want to know how to get rid of cramps, a bowl of plain, regular yogurt might do the trick.
Thats because yogurt is full of probiotics that can restore balance to your gut, improving your digestion.
Go for plain yogurt rather than the sweetened kind, since sugar can upset your stomach and throw off your balance of gut bacteria even more.
If you cant stomach the taste of plain yogurt, drizzle a little honey over the top or mix in a few berries.
Get the freshest yogurt you can find. For long-term relief, make yogurt part of your diet every day.
Read Also: What Causes Major Stomach Bloating
Final Notes For Gas Pains:
As you can see, there are many causes that can lead to the formation of uncomfortable gas in your intestine. Not only can this gas be painful, but it can also cause uncomfortable feelings and embarrassment. Thankfully, there are also many natural methods you can try when looking for a quick and effective way to cure gas pains. You can try any of the cures listed above and probably find one that works best for your situation to quickly get rid of the gas in your intestine.
How Do You Get Rid Of A Stomach Ache In 5 Minutes Center
Stomachache or abdominal pain can occur due to several different causes and the intensity may vary. It may not always be possible to get rid of a stomach ache in five minutes, but there are several over the counter treatments and natural remedies to get rid of a stomach ache fairly quickly. Read more: How Do You Get Rid of a Stomach Ache in 5 Minutes? Article
Read Also: What Causes Acid Build Up In The Stomach
When To Talk To Your Doctor About An Upset Stomach
An upset stomach typically goes away on its own within 48 hours. Sometimes stomach pain indicates a more serious health problem, however. Know when to speak to a healthcare professional for stomach pain.
- Speak to a medical professional if your symptoms do not go away after a day or two.
- If you have other symptoms such as fever, severe abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea, or blood in vomit or stool, make an appointment with your doctor.
- Talk to your doctor if you cant keep liquids or foods down, and you notice signs of dehydration.
- Pay attention if you notice a pattern, or you have recurring stomach pain. Maybe you have stomach pain after you eat dairy, or you get an upset stomach after eating pasta with red sauce. Maybe you regularly have an upset stomach but havent noticed a pattern. Discuss your symptoms with your doctor.
Theres no threshold for contacting your primary care provider. If you are worried or uncertain about your symptoms, call your doctors office.
Avoiding Smoking And Drinking Alcohol
Smoking can irritate the throat, increasing the likelihood of an upset stomach. If the person has vomited, smoking can further irritate the tender tissue already sore from stomach acids.
As a toxin, alcohol is difficult to digest and can cause damage to the liver and stomach lining.
People with an upset stomach should avoid smoking and drinking alcohol until they are feeling better.
Also Check: Can Anxiety And Depression Cause Stomach Issues
Calm Your Mind And Body
When we are in pain, we tend to get anxious. Unfortunately, anxiety brings with it a heightened state of physical arousal that can make our pain worse. Taking a few minutes to calm down can be quite effective.
Relaxation exercises are a way to break the cycle of anxiety and pain. They offer a way to “turn off” the state of heightened physical arousal. Of course, they work better with regular practice, but can still offer some benefits for immediate pain relief.
Dua For Stomach Pain:
Read this verse five or seven times. Heres how it works Dua for pain in stomach. Before this verse you should recite Durood Ibrahimi or any simple Durood three times and then recite the verse seven or five times Dua for pain and then after reciting Durood breathe on your stomach. If Allah wills, you will soon feel comfortable.
What Do Upper And Lower Abdominal Pain Signify
If the pain is coming from higher up in your stomach, it could be caused by acid reflux or an ulcer. You might also have heartburn and belching and the pain may either be made worse or relieved by food.
If you feel pain right across your stomach area or low down, its probably coming from your bowel. You may also have bloating and wind. If your stomach cramps have started recently and you also have diarrhoea, the cause is probably gastroenteritis. If you are very ill for example, with chills or a fever you may have a more serious condition, such as food poisoning.
Common Causes Of Gas Pains:
You will be relieved to know that gas pains can be cured but in order to get the proper relief for this discomfort, it is important to know what caused the gas pains to appear. This way, you will not only cure the gas pain you are experiencing now, but you will also minimize the risk of the gas pain reappearing in the future. While there are others, here are some of the most common reasons for gas pains to appear in the body:
- Certain Types of Food such as Food containing Soluble Fiber
- Certain Type of Vegetables such as Artichoke, Sprouts, Cabbage, Broccoli, Cauliflower and Onions
- Eating Apples,Pears and Similar Fruits
- Baked Beans
- Eating too Fast
You May Like: How To Firm Loose Skin On Stomach
If You Have Heartburn Or Gas
The remedy: Reach for the right meds
There are lots of OTC options to choose from, but not all are designed for quick relief. Some, like Prevacid and Zantac, for example, must be taken well before the pain strikes. To prep for occasional discomfort, Dr. Rao recommends keeping Gaviscon and simethicone in your medicine cabinet.
Gaviscon is her top pick for pain in the upper part of the abdomen, which is usually a sign of heartburn. “You can take it as needed, and it forms a protective layer over the food,” Dr. Rao explains. If you’re feeling bloated and gassy, simethicone may help. It encourages small gas bubbles to join together with others, making them easier to pass.
Make A Drink With Apple Cider Vinegar
When your stomach is aching, a shot of acidic apple cider vinegar might be the last thing you want to put in it, but it could actually make you feel better.
There are two reasons for this.
First, apple cider vinegar kills bacteria, so if youve got a bacterial infection in your stomach, the vinegar can help clear it out.
Second, apple cider vinegar balances your stomach acid, which can help with acid reflux issues.
Dont ever drink apple cider vinegar on its own its too strong, and it could damage your teeth.
Instead, mix it with something else. Try stirring a tablespoon of vinegar into a cup of warm water or fruit juice.
Add some honey to improve the taste if you want.
Don’t Miss: How To Get Rid Of Stomach Worms In Humans
Why Does My Stomach Hurt
There are numerous reasons for abdominal pain. It can come from any of the organs in your belly gallbladder, pancreas, liver, stomach and intestines or the abdominal wall the outer shell of the body. Sometimes you feel the pain in your belly, but its actually coming from the chest, back or pelvis.
Abdominal wall pain is common and easy to miss as healthcare professionals may direct their attention to internal organs as a cause of the pain. Once the abdominal wall is considered as a suspect, it is generally easy to nail down this diagnosis. If a patient strains the ab wall muscles from exertion, he may tell his doctor that he has right sided stomach pain. Clearly, this pain is not caused by a diseased internal organ such as the gallbladder or the stomach.
Healthcare providers can often determine where pain is coming from by taking a detailed history from you. Depending upon the physicians style, you may be simply asked to relate your medical story in your own words as a narrative. Other physicians may prefer to ask a series of detailed questions. Others may utilize both techniques. This medical history is paramount, even more important than the physical examination. After the history and physical, certain diagnostic tests may be advised to make an accurate diagnosis.
What are the most common causes of abdominal pain?
What Causes An Upset Stomach
Many different things can cause pain or discomfort in the stomach. Some causes are more severe than others, and the treatment for stomach pain varies accordingly. Gas or bloating after a meal can be managed at home. However, drinking contaminated water while traveling requires care from a medical professional. Chronic health problems that cause stomach pain must be managed long term with the help of a healthcare professional.
Common causes of stomach pain include
- greasy or fatty foods
- bacteria such as salmonella or E. coli.
- chronic conditions such as irritable bowel syndrome and Crohns disease
Also Check: How Much To Get Stomach Fat Removed
How Do You Get Rid Of A Stomach Ache In 5 Minutes
Over the counter medical treatment
- For gas-related pain, OTC medication like Mylanta, Gas-X can help get rid of gas and bloating.
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease can cause stomach ache and burning sensation , an antacid or acid reducer like Pepcid AC or Zantac 75 can help.
- For constipation, a mild OTC stool softener or laxative can help relieve constipation in most cases.
- Abdominal cramps can occur due to diarrhea. Medicines like Pepto-Bismol, which contain loperamide or bismuth subsalicylate, can help reduce diarrhea and cramps.
- Pain relievers, such as Paracetamol, Ibuprofen, can help reduce the abdominal pain and the pain of cramps caused due to several conditions. It may be combined with anti-cramping medications.
Lifestyle and home remedies:
Eating foods that have anti-inflammatory properties can reduce abdominal pain. These foods include blueberries, squash, cherries, capsicum, tomatoes, cold-water fish that are high in omega-3 fatty acids, beans, green leafy vegetables, and almonds. These foods also improve overall body health. It’s advised to incorporate these foods in the diet throughout the year, instead of just during the periods. Sugary food, fried and fatty foods, white bread or pasta, alcohol, caffeine, and tobacco can increase cramps.
Herbs to reduce cramps: