What Might I Experience If My Doctor Suggests I Stop Taking A Ppi
Studies have shown that for patients with long-term PPI use, there can be rebound secretion of stomach acid and an increase in upper gastrointestinal symptoms when discontinuing PPIs. However, a different type of anti-acid medication can be used for relief temporarily. If a patient experiences more than two months of severe persistent symptoms after discontinuing a PPI, this may be a reason to resume PPI therapy.
Top 15 Heartburn Remedies
Just because heartburn is common doesnt mean you have to suffer with it. Left untreated, frequent acid reflux can develop into more serious health problems. Here are the top 15 heartburn remedies…
Despite humorous commercials touting heartburn remedies with funny words like plop-plop and fizz-fizz, heartburn is no joke. More than 60 million Americans suffer from it at least occasionally, according to the American College of Gastroenterology.Heartburn, also known as acid indigestion, occurs when acidic stomach juices flow backward into the esophagus, irritating the esophageal lining. The resulting pain can be uncomfortable, annoying or excruciating. It can hurt as much as a heart attack, says Paige Hastings, a certified nurse practitioner at The Little Clinic in Nashville, Tenn.But not everyone has such pain you could also feel a bitter or acidic taste in the back of your throat or the awful sensation of food or liquid washing back into your mouth and down the gullet.In fact, frequent heartburn and food sticking in the throat are signs of gastroesophageal reflux disease .Untreated, these problems can lead more serious problems, including strictures , ulcers, cancer and pneumonia, explains Patricia Raymond, MD, a gastroenterologist based in Virginia Beach, Va.
Drink A Glass Of Milk
The calcium in milk is alkaline, so it could help balance the acidity in your stomach. Milk can also feel soothing to drink.
While drinking milk can provide temporary relief from acid reflux, it contains fat and protein that could worsen symptoms of acid reflux once digestion begins. To avoid this discomfort, try drinking lower-fat milk, which may be easier for your body to tolerate during bouts of acid reflux.
Like milk, certain over-the-counter preparations contain calcium. These OTC treatments, such as Tums® or Maalox®, have the benefits of calcium in milk without the drawbacks.
Don’t Miss: How To Get Rid Of Stomach Worms In Humans
Rice Water To Relieve Stomachache
Last but not least, look to rice more specifically, look to the leftover water after you cook rice.
Rice water is capable of forming a coating over certain membranes like, for instance, the lining of your stomach. This barrier can be a soothing lining to help ease inflammation and offer relief from stomach pain.
For a simple rice water remedy, first wash one-half cup of white rice.
- Add rice to six cups of boiled water, cover, and allow to sit until rice is tender.
- Strain the water into a cup to cool.
- Add one-half teaspoon of honey.
- Sip on two cups daily.
Home Remedies For Stomach Pain
Disclaimer: Results are not guaranteed*** and may vary from person to person***.
Stabbing, throbbing, pulsing, or burning abdominal pains may be the sign of either minor or serious health conditions.
In most cases, relief can be found with all-natural home remedies for stomach pain.
The powerful yet nontoxic properties of many common kitchen products may help to alleviate the pain and other symptoms caused by gas, constipation, irritating foods, indigestion, food allergies, or viral infections.
Identifying the cause is the first step in knowing how to get relief from stomach pain.
In this article:
Read Also: How To Find Stomach Cancer
Avoiding Smoking And Drinking Alcohol
Smoking and alcohol indigestion and other gastrointestinal conditions, such as gastrointestinal reflux disease .
Pros and cons
Quitting smoking and limiting alcohol intake improves peoples quality of life and reduces the risk of certain health conditions, such as cancer.
However, avoiding smoking and drinking alcohol can be difficult, and people may require extra support.
Learn more about quitting smoking and drinking:
Pros and cons
Avoiding difficult-to-digest foods may help ease the stomach and reduce discomfort and pain. Additionally, more easily digestible foods such as fruit and vegetables may help promote a healthy, balanced diet.
However, avoiding richer or heavily preserved foods may be more difficult for people who do not have the time to source fresher food or those who live in a food desert.
Causes Of Heartburn And Acid Reflux
Lots of people get heartburn from time to time. There’s often no obvious reason why.
Sometimes it’s caused or made worse by:
- certain food and drink such as coffee, tomatoes, alcohol, chocolate and fatty or spicy foods
- being overweight
- an increase in some types of hormones, such as progesterone and oestrogen
- some medicines, such as anti-inflammatory painkillers
- a hiatus hernia when part of your stomach moves up into your chest
You May Like: Why Stomach Hurts After Eating
When To Get Medical Help
See your midwife or GP if you need help managing your symptoms or if changes to your diet and lifestyle do not work. They may recommend medicine to ease your symptoms.
You should also see your midwife or GP if you have any of the following:
- difficulty eating or keeping food down
Your midwife or GP may ask about your symptoms and examine you by pressing gently on different areas of your chest and stomach to see whether it’s painful.
What Are The Possible Complications Of Peptic Ulcer Disease
An ulcer left untreated may cause serious complications, including:
- Internal bleeding: While most people with ulcers wont have bleeding, this is the most common complication that can occur. A slow bleeding ulcer can cause anemia or even severe blood loss.
- Perforation: An ulcer that is continuously eroded by acid can eventually become a hole in the stomach or intestinal wall. This is intensely painful and also dangerous. It allows bacteria from the digestive tract to enter the abdominal cavity, which can lead to an infection of the abdominal cavity called peritonitis. From there, the infection is at risk of spreading to the rest of the body . This can lead to a life-threatening condition called .
- Obstruction: An ulcer in the pyloric channel, the narrow passageway that leads from the stomach into the duodenum, can become an obstruction that blocks the flow of food into the small intestine. This can happen after the ulcer has healed. Ulcers that have gone through a healing process may build up scar tissue that enlarges them. An ulcer that is big enough to obstruct the small intestine can stall the digestive process, with numerous side effects.
- Stomach cancer: Some gastric ulcers can become malignant over time. This is more likely when your ulcer is caused by H. pylori infection. H. pylori is a contributing cause of gastric cancer, though fortunately, this is uncommon.
Also Check: How Much Is Plastic Surgery For Stomach
Q How Can I Stop Acidity
- Chew your food properly before ingesting it. Our stomach has to work really hard to break the food down when we dont chew properly. This not only makes the process of absorption of nutrients difficult but also hinders the entire digestive process thus paving the way for indigestion, and consequently, acidity.
- Eat smaller portions at regular intervals instead of large meals.
- Finish your meals 2-3 hours before bedtime so your stomach gets ample time to carry out the digestive process and empty itself.
- Get some form of exercise at least for half an hour a day. Lack of exercise leads to excessive deposition of fats, especially in the abdominal area. Excess abdominal fat pushes stomach acids up into the esophagus which can lead to frequent heartburns. Do those crunches and runs regularly to prevent acidity and shed those extra pounds.
- Spend some time in the sun to boost your digestive process. Sun rays help the body produce vitamin D which further balances the production of over 200 antimicrobial body chemicals that fight stomach irregularities and help treat acid reflux.
- Avoid wearing clothing like tight jeans. Loose clothes allow your food to have an easy passage and don’t restrict your stomachs functioning.
- Quit smoking as it can cause heartburn. Nicotine present in cigarettes weakens the valve which prevents the stomach acids from flowing into the esophagus and gastrointestinal tract which causes reflux and heartburn.
What Causes Peptic Ulcers
Ulcers form when digestive juices damage the walls of the stomach or small intestine. If the mucus layer gets too thin or your stomach makes too much acid, your gut will feel it. The two major causes are:
- Bacteria. Itâs called Helicobacter pylori , and as many as half of us carry it. Most people infected with H. pylori do not get ulcers. But in others, it can raise the amount of acid, break down the protective mucus layer, and irritate the digestive tract. Experts arenât sure how H. pylori infection spreads. They think it may pass from person to person through close contact, like kissing. You may also get it from unclean food and water.
- Certain pain relievers. If youâve been taking aspirin often and for a long time, youâre more likely to get a peptic ulcer. The same is true for other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs . They include ibuprofen and naproxen. NSAIDs block your body from making a chemical that helps protect the inner walls of your stomach and small intestine from stomach acid. Other types of pain meds, such as acetaminophen, wonât lead to peptic ulcers.
- Smoking cigarettes and drinking alcohol also can make you more likely to get ulcers. Stress and eating a lot of spicy food donât cause ulcers, as experts once thought. But they can make ulcers worse and harder to treat.
You May Like: What Can You Take To Settle Your Stomach
When Should I Call The Doctor With Acid Reflux Symptoms
Be sure to call your doctor if you dont get lasting relief from medications. Also call the doctor right away if you have any alarm acid reflux symptoms, such as these:
- Black, tarry, or maroon-colored stools
- Difficulty or pain with swallowing
Other acid reflux symptoms that should prompt a call to your doctor include:
- Asthma-like symptoms, such as wheezing or dry cough
- Hoarseness, especially in the morning
- Chronic sore throat
- Hiccups that dont let up
- Nausea that lasts for more than a day or two
Sometimes, people confuse the symptoms of heart attack with symptoms of acid reflux disease. Thats because pain in the chest can feel like heartburn. When in doubt, call your doctor.
- Chest pain, pressure, or fullness lasting more than a few minutes or that goes away and comes back
- Pain or discomfort in your neck, shoulder, upper back, or jaw
- Shortness of breath, with or without chest pain
- Dizziness, lightheadedness, or nausea
- Sweating along with chest pain
American Academy of Family Physicians: Dyspepsia: What It Is and What to Do About It.
American Academy of Family Physicians: Heartburn: Hints on Dealing With the Discomfort.
How To Get Rid Of Stomach Acid With Basil Leaves
Basil is one of the best remedies for how to reduce stomach acid. It can provide you with instant relief from stomach acid burning in the throat.
How to use?
- Take three to basil leaves
- Add them to a cup of water
- And simmer it for a few minutes
- Strain the mixture and sip it slowly
- You can drink it a few times a day to get relief from stomach acid
Benefits of Basil Leaves
The basil leaves are known to have carminative and soothing properties that sooth the acidity in your stomach and provide you instant relief from the burning sensation. Drinking basil tea is an excellent way to reduce stomach acid in the lungs. Add it to your diet and get visible results in no time.
Before using basil leaves, wash them thoroughly.
Also Check: What Are Stomach Specialist Called
How To Reduce Stomach Acid With Exercise
Stress and anxiety are other prime reasons that may lead to increased acidity. Due to high levels of stress, you resort to unhealthy eating habits that directly affect your digestive health. Hence, you must work upon lowering your stress. While you may not be able to avoid stress, some ways can help you out inefficiently reducing it. Physical activity is one such medium to relieve stress.
What to do?
- Try going out for a walk and connect with nature
- Or you can try meditation and breathing exercises
- Indulge in some fun physical activities like aerobics
Benefits of Exercise
Physical exercise acts as a stress booster. It not only helps you in keeping fit but also prevents various health disorders.
Home Remedies For Acidity And Heartburn: Low
- Banana: Bananas are extremely beneficial for gut and stomach health because of their high fiber content which enhances the digestion process. They are rich in potassium and increase the production of mucus in the stomach which prevents the excess acid formation and also fights the harmful effects of excessive acid production. A ripe banana is a perfect antidote to severe bouts of acidity.
- Cold Milk: It is a known fact that milk contains a high amount of calcium which makes it a superfood for bone health. But did you know that calcium is also one of the main ingredients in your over-the-counter antacids? Calcium helps to maintain the pH balance and aids in proper digestion.
- Buttermilk:Cold buttermilk is another useful antidote to acidity. To get relief from heartburn, drink up a glass of cold buttermilk. Buttermilk contains lactic acid that neutralizes the acidity in the stomach. The lactic acid further soothes the stomach by coating the stomach lining and reducing the irritation and acid reflux symptoms. Besides, buttermilk is a naturally occurring probiotic. The good bacteria present in probiotics prevent the gas build-up and bloating that often causes acid reflux. It also allows the nutrients and foods to be digested and absorbed properly which ultimately eliminates and reduces the possibility of acidity occurrence and keeps your gastrointestinal health in good condition.
ShutterstockTip:Eat and drink the right things to prevent acidity in the first place.
Read Also: What’s Good For Stomach Cramps
What Are The Side Effects Of High Stomach Acid
Having high levels of stomach acid can increase your risk of developing other stomach-related health conditions. These include:
- Peptic ulcers:Peptic ulcers are sores that can develop when gastric acid begins to eat away at the lining of your stomach.
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease :GERD is a condition in which stomach acid backs up into your esophagus.
- Gastrointestinal bleeding: This involves bleeding anywhere in your digestive tract.
Limit Your Intake Of Carbonated Beverages
Healthcare professionals sometimes advise people with GERD to limit their intake of carbonated beverages.
This is because studies have observed that regular consumption of carbonated or fizzy beverages, including soft drinks, club soda, and seltzer, could be linked to a higher risk of reflux .
One study found that carbonated soft drinks, in particular, worsened certain acid reflux symptoms, including heartburn, fullness, and burping .
The main reason is that the carbon dioxide gas in carbonated beverages causes people to burp more often an effect that can increase the amount of acid escaping into the esophagus .
Drinking carbonated beverages temporarily increases the frequency of burping, which may promote acid reflux. If they worsen your symptoms, try drinking less or avoiding them altogether.
Read Also: How To Stop Acid Reflux Stomach Pain
How To Lower Stomach Acid With Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple Cider Vinegar is one of the most effective home remedies for how to reduce stomach acid and prevent heartburn or acid reflux after a meal. Those suffering from stomach acid burping will also see a significant difference after using this apple cider vinegar remedy.
How to use?
- Add a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water
- To it add freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Consume the drink post meal to prevent heart burn, or you can drink it before your meals to boost digestion
Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar
The enzymes present in apple cider vinegar help in breaking down the food and reduce acidity. As such it readily relieves you from heartburn. Also, please note that apple cider vinegar is acidic thus, it also helps in restoring the stomach acid pH level which is necessary for optimal digestion.
You must use raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar only. Hence, before purchasing the bottle have a look at its label to know whether it has under gone any processing or not.
How Do I Know If My Stomach Pain Is Serious
According to the National Health Service, a person should seek immediate medical attention if their stomach ache is very severe or has a sudden onset.
People should contact a healthcare professional immediately if they notice other symptoms, such as vomiting blood, having difficulty passing urine or feces, chest pain, difficulty breathing, and jaundice.
Read Also: Can Stomach Ulcers Cause Headaches
Alcoholic Gastritis Symptoms And Signs
Potential signs and symptoms of alcoholic gastritis include:
- upper abdominal pain, ranging from a burning ache to stabbing pain.
- nausea and vomiting.
- loss of appetite.
Those with alcohol associated gastritis may feel symptoms after an evening of binge drinking or, alternately, the symptoms may develop as a more chronic problem for individuals who engage in regular, heavy drinking.
What About Complicated Ulcers
While most ulcers are successfully treated with medication, some complicated ulcers may require surgery. Ulcers that are bleeding, or that have perforated your stomach or intestinal wall, will need to be surgically repaired. An ulcer that is malignant, or obstructing a passageway, will need to be surgically removed. In severe cases, an ulcer that keeps coming back may be treated by surgery to cut off some of the nerve supply to the stomach that produces stomach acid.
Also Check: Holistic Treatment For Ulcerative Colitis
Read Also: Why I Have Stomach Pain After Eating