Prognosis Of Abdominal Pain
How long your abdominal pain lasts, and whether it gets better or worse, will depend on the cause of your pain and how the pain responds to any treatments.
Many forms of abdominal pain tend to respond to self-care measures or simply get better on their own, including pain caused by constipation, food allergies or intolerances, or stomach viruses.
What Are The Types Of Pancreatitis
There are two types of pancreatitis:
- Acute pancreatitis Inflammation in the pancreas comes all of a sudden and lasts for a short period. This condition may vary from mild to critical to even life-threatening complications. In most cases, it completely resolves with the right treatment. However, if your condition is severe, it can cause significant tissue damage, bleeding, cysts, and infection. It can also affect other organs like kidneys, lungs, and heart.
- Chronic pancreatitis In this condition, the inflammation is long-lasting . In most cases, chronic pancreatitis happens after the occurrence of acute pancreatitis. Heavy alcohol consumption is one of the leading causes of this disease. Most importantly, alcohol-induced pancreatitis might go unnoticed for years andup suddenly with severe symptoms.
How Is Abdominal Pain Treated
The treatment of abdominal pain will depend on its underlying cause.
Mild abdominal pain may go away on its own within hours or days. Mild pain and related symptoms can also often be treated with medicines from the pharmacy. Your pharmacist will be able to advise you on what type of product is best suited to your situation.
You should not use aspirin or anti-inflammatory medicines, such as ibuprofen, to treat abdominal pain, other than period pain. These medicines may cause or irritate a stomach or bowel problem.
If you are treating mild abdominal pain with a known cause at home:
- use a hot water bottle or warm wheat pack on your abdomen
- eat bland foods when you can start eating again, or as advised by your doctor
Specific treatments, depending on the cause of your abdominal pain, include the following:
Gas Medicines designed to break down gas bubbles, such as antacids containing simethicone, are available over the counter. Gas-reducing medicines such as charcoal products, may help with ongoing wind problems. Dietary changes may also help. An Accredited Practising Dietitian or your doctor can help with dietary advice.
Gastroenteritis This usually only lasts a few days and clears up by itself. Rehydrating by drinking plenty of clear fluids is the most important treatment.
Pain due to muscle spasms Spasms in the wall of the bowel may be eased by antispasmodic medicines. Several are available, so talk to your pharmacist or doctor about which are right for you.
Read Also: What Causes Upset Stomach And Nausea
Aleve: Cures Stomach Ache
- Brand name Bayers Aleve
- Composition Naproxen sodium
- Popularity level 5
- Aleve is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication that is available over the counter. OTC Aleve comes in caplets, tablets, gelcaps, and liquid gels. It can be used to relieve pain from menstrual cramps.
- Aleve is generally taken every 8 to 12 hours.
- Price A pack containing 320 capsules of the medicine costs around $25
Cautions With Other Medicines
Some medicines and Buscopan can affect each other and increase the chances of you having side effects.
This is because they can cancel each other out and stop each other from working. Metoclopramide and domperidone increase the movement of the gut, whereas Buscopan reduces it.
Some medicines increase the risk of side effects if you take them at the same time as Buscopan, including:
- quinidine or disopyramide
- some inhaled asthma medicines, including salbutamol, ipratropium and tiotropium
Do not take Buscopan together with other irritable bowel syndrome remedies, as they work in the same way. You’re unlikely to get extra relief for your symptoms, and it may cause more side effects. Take only one IBS remedy, unless your doctor tells you to take more than one.
Don’t Miss: How To Get Rid Of Bacteria In Your Stomach
Lime Or Lemon Juice Baking Soda And Water
Some studies suggest that mixing lime or lemon juice in water with a pinch of baking soda can help to relieve a variety of digestive complaints.
This mixture produces carbonic acid, which may help to reduce gas and indigestion. It may also improve liver secretion and intestinal mobility. The acidity and other nutrients in lime or lemon juice can help to digest and absorb fats and alcohol while neutralizing bile acids and reducing acidity in the stomach.
Most traditional recipes recommend mixing the following quantities:
- 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon or lime juice
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 8 oz of clean water
How Is Rap Diagnosed
When you or your child sees the doctor about RAP, theyâll ask about symptoms and family history. Theyâll want to know when the pain starts and what seems to make it feel worse or better. Then, theyâll do a thorough physical exam.
Theyâll probably take samples of blood and urine to do some tests. They also can order a scan to look inside your body for a problem, such as a CT scan, MRI, or an ultrasound. If youâre over age 50, you may get a colonoscopy, which is when a doctor uses a thin, flexible tool with a camera to look for problems inside your colon and rectum.
The results of these tests will help your doctor decide what kind of treatment will help you or your child the most. If a specific health issue is making your stomach hurt, youâll need to get treatment for that problem. Your doctor could also suggest lifestyle changes like eating different foods or finding ways to manage stress. Often, a mix of different things helps.
If your belly pain keeps coming back for 6 months and your doctor canât find a medical reason why, you may have functional abdominal pain.
Don’t Miss: Does Holding Your Stomach In Help Lose Belly Fat
How Is The Cause Of Abdominal Pain Diagnosed
Abdominal pain is one of the most common symptoms seen by GPs .
Information about your symptoms and the location of the abdominal pain can help a doctor diagnose the cause of your pain. They will want to know how long you have had the pain and may want to do a physical examination. If you are female, this may include a pelvic examination. If you are male, it may include checking your penis and scrotum.
They may suggest you have some blood tests or other diagnostic procedures done, especially if you have had the symptoms for some time.
Tests and procedures that may help in diagnosing the cause of abdominal pain include:
Other procedures that may be suggested, depending on your gender, include:
- pregnancy test and/or pelvic ultrasound
- ultrasound of the scrotum
When To See A Doctor About Abdominal Pain
Go straight to your doctor or the emergency department of the nearest hospital if you have any of:
- severe pain
- pain lasting for several hours
- pain and/or vaginal bleeding if you are pregnant
- pain in your scrotum if you are a male
- pain and vomiting or shortness of breath
- pain and vomiting blood
- blood in your bowel motions or urine
- pain that spreads to your chest, neck or shoulder
- fever and sweats
- unable to move your bowels or pass gas
- any other concerns.
Also Check: What To Eat When You Have Stomach Issues
How Is A Stomach Ulcer Diagnosed
To help diagnose a stomach ulcer, your doctor will ask you what medications you take or have been taking, and if you have had a peptic ulcer or any other relevant condition in the past. Make sure you mention all the medications you are taking, especially NSAIDs such as aspirin, ibuprofen, diclofenac, or ketorolac.
Your doctor will also conduct a physical examination, to check for bloating or lumps within your abdomen, and to listen for bowel sounds. Make sure you mention any areas of pain or tenderness.
Blood may also be taken to test for infection or anemia and testing may also be conducted for Helicobacter pylori, a bacteria commonly associated with stomach ulcers. Testing usually involves either a breath test, stool sample, or biopsy. To get a clear picture of the inside of your stomach and small intestines, doctors may use an endoscope , a series of X-rays and/or a CT scan.
Stomach Flu Treatment Options
Most cases of viral gastroenteritis resolve on their own, typically in one to three days, depending on the virus. Treatment of viral gastroenteritis focuses entirely on managing symptoms, particularly dehydration. Bacterial gastroenteritis, the subject of other articles, is treated with both antibiotics and symptom support.
Read Also: What To Do When Your Upper Stomach Hurts
Whats The Best Pain Reliever You Can Buy At The Pharmacy
When pain strikeswhether its an annoying headache or killer period crampsyou probably have a go-to OTC pain reliever that you reach for . But heres the thing: Not all OTC pain meds are created equal. In fact, some are better suited than others to treat specific kinds of pain. For example, the pill you pop for period cramps may not be the best one for relieving a headache. Heres a rundown of the pain meds youll find at the drugstore, plus the best pain reliever for each type of pain so you can find relief fast.
OTC pain relievers to choose from|NSAIDs|Acetaminophen|Combined pain relievers|Topical pain relievers|Prescription medications|Best pain reliever by pain type
Ginger Tea As A Stomach Pain Remedy
The anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties of ginger neutralize excess acids that cause stomach pain.
Drinking ginger tea may help to stimulate proper digestion by promoting the production of digestive juices while fighting harmful free radicals that cause disease.
Drink two to three cups of ginger tea daily.
- Cut one medium-sized ginger root into thin slices.
- Add the ginger to one cup of boiling water and boil for three minutes.
- Lower heat and simmer for five minutes.
- Strain and add honey for flavor.
You May Like: What Can Cause Really Bad Stomach Pain
What Causes Intermittent Abdominal Bloating/distention
Excessive production of gas by bacteria is a common cause of intermittent abdominal distention and bloating. Theoretically, bacteria can produce too much gas in three ways.
- First, the amount of gas that bacteria produce may vary from individual to individual. In other words, some individuals may have bacteria that produce more gas, either because there are more of the bacteria or because their particular bacteria are better at producing gas.
- Second, there may be poor digestion and absorption of foods in the small intestine, allowing more undigested food to reach the bacteria in the colon. The more undigested food the bacteria have, the more gas they produce. Examples of diseases that involve poor digestion and absorption include lactose intolerance, pancreatic insufficiency, and untreated celiac disease.
- Third, bacterial overgrowth can occur in the small intestine. Under normal conditions, the bacteria that produce gas are limited to the colon. In some conditions, these bacteria spread back into the small intestine. When this bacterial spread occurs, food reaches the bacteria before it can be fully digested and absorbed by the small intestine. Therefore, the colonic-type bacteria that have moved into the small intestine have a lot of undigested food from which to form gas. This condition, in which the gas-producing bacteria move into the small intestine, is called bacterial overgrowth of the small intestine or small intestinal bacterial overgrowth .
How Is Ibs Diagnosed
Irritable bowel syndrome is diagnosed by excluding other GI disorders that can cause similar symptoms. A complete history and physical is taken to determine the duration and frequency of symptoms. To be diagnosed with the condition, the duration of symptoms should be at least six months and should occur at least three times a month.
A doctor may order tests, including blood tests, stool tests, X-rays, or CT scans. There is no specific finding on these tests that can confirm the diagnosis of IBS, however, other problems can be ruled out by performing them.
Irritable bowel syndrome test
Two relatively new blood tests may help diagnose irritable bowel syndrome. One test is for irritable bowel syndrome with diarrhea , and the other is for irritable bowel syndrome with both diarrhea and constipation . Neither test is able to diagnose irritable bowel syndrome with constipation .
Both blood tests are for anti-CdtB and anti-vinculin antibodies. It is thought that these antibodies develop in some patients after an acute bout of gastroenteritis that is caused by several different, common types of bacteria. The overgrowth of these bacteria in the gut may trigger an immune attack on the patients own intestinal tissues with the ensuing inflammation and damage to the tissues causing the symptoms of IBS.
Don’t Miss: Why Does My Stomach Hurt When I Wake Up
What Is The Treatment For Ibs
Dietary modifications are the first treatments that should be tried to treat IBS. There are several types of foods in particular that often trigger characteristic symptoms and signs.
If dietary modifications and lifestyle changes do not adequately treat the symptoms and signs, a doctor may recommend medical therapies.
The Best Otc Pain Reliever For: Menstrual Cramps
To alleviate the pain of menstrual cramps most effectively, your doctor may recommend an NSAID like ibuprofen or naproxen. A review of studies published in 2019 in Institute for Quality and Efficiency in Health Care found that NSAIDs are more effective than acetaminophen at relieving period pain. Take the pain reliever at the beginning of your period, or as soon as you feel symptoms, and continue taking the medicine as directed for two to three days, or until your symptoms are gone. If you are still in pain, speak with your doctor about other treatment options or try one of these 8 unexpected ways to alleviate cramps.
Also Check: How To Tighten Stomach Muscles
Home Remedies For Stomach Pain
Disclaimer: Results are not guaranteed*** and may vary from person to person***.
Stabbing, throbbing, pulsing, or burning abdominal pains may be the sign of either minor or serious health conditions.
In most cases, relief can be found with all-natural home remedies for stomach pain.
The powerful yet nontoxic properties of many common kitchen products may help to alleviate the pain and other symptoms caused by gas, constipation, irritating foods, indigestion, food allergies, or viral infections.
Identifying the cause is the first step in knowing how to get relief from stomach pain.
In this article:
What Are The Causes Of Pancreatitis
When your digestive enzymes are activated, it happens to hurt your pancreatic cells while still inside your pancreas and causes soreness and swelling.
Recurring episodes of acute pancreatitis cause significant damage to your pancreas and is likely to worsen into chronic pancreatitis. The formation of scar tissues inside your organ can lead to functional impairment . This can also lead to other opportunistic diseases including diabetes and digestive disorders. Scar tissue can be formed in the pancreas, causing loss of function. Poorly functioning pancreas may cause digestion problems and diabetes
Don’t Miss: Does Kidney Failure Cause Stomach Pain
When To Contact A Medical Professional
Get medical help right away or call your local emergency number if you:
- Are currently being treated for cancer
- Are unable to pass stool, especially if you are also vomiting
- Are vomiting blood or have blood in your stool
- Have chest, neck, or shoulder pain
- Have sudden, sharp abdominal pain
- Have pain in, or between, your shoulder blades with nausea
- Have tenderness in your belly, or your belly is rigid and hard to the touch
- Are pregnant or could be pregnant
- Had a recent injury to your abdomen
- Have difficulty breathing
Chamomile Tea To Cure Stomach Pain
Chamomile tea is known to work as an anti-inflammatory along the digestive tract.
If your stomach pain is caused by gastritis or indigestion, a cup of chamomile can offer relief. It does this by relaxing muscles along the stomach and the esophagus, easing the contractions that push food along, and lessens any cramps or spasms you are experiencing.
- Place one teaspoon of dried chamomile in one cup of boiled water.
- Cover and allow to steep for 15 minutes.
- Strain tea and add lemon or honey for taste.
- Drink up to three cups daily
Don’t Miss: Why Am I Getting Stomach Cramps
How Is The Cause Of Acute Abdominal Pain Diagnosed
Your healthcare provider will examine you and ask about your symptoms. Tell the provider when your symptoms started and about any recent travel or surgery. Also tell him or her what makes the pain better or worse. Based on what your provider finds from the exam, and your symptoms, you may need any of the following:
What Causes Abdominal Pain
Abdominal pain is frequently caused by a problem in the digestive tract . However, it can also be caused by other organs located in the abdomen, such as the kidneys. Large blood vessels, such as the aorta are also found in the abdomen and may give rise to pain. Abdominal pain can even be caused by some medicines.
Causes of abdominal pain connected to the gut include:
- trapped wind or indigestion
- gallstones, gallbladder problems, liver problems
- medicines to help manage the symptoms of dementia or Alzheimer’s disease
Some of the causes of abdominal pain are short-term , whereas others are long-term or ongoing conditions. Find more information about the underlying causes of abdominal pain here.
Read Also: What Foods To Eat To Lose Stomach Fat