How Do You Stop Stomach Cramps
Try following these home care steps to alleviate stomach cramps
- Get adequate rest.
- Drink plenty of water or other clear fluids.
- Avoid solid food for the first few hours.
- If cramps have been accompanied by vomiting, wait for six hours and then eat small amounts of food, such as crackers, rice or applesauce.
- Avoid milk, cheese, yogurt and other dairy products.
- Avoid foods and beverages like
- Citrus foods
These steps may also prevent stomach cramps
- Eat a high-fiber and well-balanced diet.
- Limit foods that produce gas.
- Eat small meals more frequently.
- Drink plenty of water each day.
- Wash your hands before eating or preparing food.
- Avoid overeating and avoid eating right before going to sleep.
- Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables.
- Avoid expired foods or incorrectly stored food.
- Avoid foods that may trigger allergies.
- Reduce stress and anxiety to help prevent cramps.
Whats The Best Way To Stop Throwing Up After Drinking
Throwing up is your bodys way of ridding itself of a toxin in this case, alcohol. Instead of stopping yourself from throwing up, its best to simply help yourself feel better until your bodys gotten rid of all the alcohol.
Here are some ways to minimize the nausea and side effects from vomiting:
- Drink small sips of clear liquidsto rehydrate. Wait until about 30 minutes after you last vomited. Examples of clear liquid include water, Pedialyte, Gatorade, or Powerade. Low sugar ginger ale does the trick as well.
- Get plenty of rest. Dont try to overdo it on the day of a hangover . Sleeping it off can help you feel better.
- Refrain from hair of the dog or drinking more to feel better. Give your stomach and body a break and dont drink again the night after a vomiting episode.
- Take ibuprofen to relieve pain. Most doctors suggest ibuprofen over acetaminophen because the liver breaks down acetaminophen, and the liver is already busy breaking down the excess alcohol by-products. However, ibuprofen can cause stomach upset in some people, so take it with small bites of food.
- Eat small bites of bland foods, such as toast, crackers, or applesauce to keep your energy up. Again, wait a little while after youve vomited to reduce the chance youll trigger the vomiting reflex again.
How Is Abdominal Pain Treated
Treating abdominal pain depends on its cause. Options include:
- Medications for inflammation, gastroesophageal reflux disease or ulcers.
- Antibiotics for infection.
- Changes in personal behavior for abdominal pain caused by certain foods or beverages.
- Local or spinal injections of numbing agents or corticosteroids by pain management physicians.
In more severe cases like appendicitis and hernia, surgery is necessary.
Recommended Reading: How To Reduce Arthritis Pain In Wrist
Don’t Miss: What Would Cause Stomach Cramps
Cumin Water Helps When You Have An Upset Tummy It Is Also A Great Way To Improve Your Gut Health
When it rains during Monsoon it pours. We tend to then indulge in Bhajiya and tea!
Monsoon means Festivals and good food! Result Gorge!
Monsoon then means upset tummy!
In continuation with my posts for home remedies, which work best for minor ailments and something that are from dadi ki potli translated as Grannys bag! Age-old and effective and from your pantry shelf!
Foods To Relieve Constipation
Getting enough fiber is a key part of relieving and preventing constipation. Its also important not to skip meals and to avoid highly processed foods, like fast food, potato chips, and white bread. High-fiber foods include:
- Beans and legumes, including navy beans, garbanzo beans, soybeans, lentils, almonds and peanuts
- Fresh fruits, especially apples, berries, figs, pears, plums and prunes. Eat edible skins to get the most benefit.
- Fresh vegetables, especially broccoli, , peas, and potatoes with their skins
- Whole grain products, especially bran cereal and popcorn
You May Like: What Is Stage 4 Stomach Cancer
Tea For Abdominal Pain Or Stomach Ache
Many types of teas are mild on the digestive system and are also very effective to get rid of upset stomach. Consuming cinnamon, black tea, lemon balm, mint, green tea, lavender and thyme is helpful for abdominal pain. Plant sterols present in teas prepared from ginger, peppermint, and chamomile also help in alleviating achy stomach naturally. To prepare herbal or seed tea, add half to one teaspoon of either herbs or seeds into one cup of hot water and allow it to set for about five to ten minutes and consume.
Should You Make Yourself Throw Up After A Night Of Drinking
Youll probably notice one suggestion that didnt make the above list: intentionally making yourself throw up after a night of drinking.
While you may have a friend that swears by this approach, its a dangerous one. Making yourself throw up can put greater strain on your esophagus. This can make it more likely youll experience small tears that can damage the esophagus and potentially lead to bleeding.
Intentional vomiting also increases your risk for acid reflux, damage to your teeth, and aspiration. This is when your stomach contents accidentally go into your lungs.
If you feel like youre going to vomit, its best to let it happen naturally. Youll retch less and reduce your risk for additional health problems that can happen when you make yourself throw up.
You May Like: Can Blueberries Cause Constipation
You May Like: Why Does My Stomach Cramp After I Eat
How Do You Get Rid Of A Stomach Ache In 5 Minutes
Over the counter medical treatment
- For gas-related pain, OTC medication like Mylanta, Gas-X can help get rid of gas and bloating.
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease can cause stomach ache and burning sensation , an antacid or acid reducer like Pepcid AC or Zantac 75 can help.
- For constipation, a mild OTC stool softener or laxative can help relieve constipation in most cases.
- Abdominal cramps can occur due to diarrhea. Medicines like Pepto-Bismol, which contain loperamide or bismuth subsalicylate, can help reduce diarrhea and cramps.
- Pain relievers, such as Paracetamol, Ibuprofen, can help reduce the abdominal pain and the pain of cramps caused due to several conditions. It may be combined with anti-cramping medications.
Lifestyle and home remedies:
Eating foods that have anti-inflammatory properties can reduce abdominal pain. These foods include blueberries, squash, cherries, capsicum, tomatoes, cold-water fish that are high in omega-3 fatty acids, beans, green leafy vegetables, and almonds. These foods also improve overall body health. It’s advised to incorporate these foods in the diet throughout the year, instead of just during the periods. Sugary food, fried and fatty foods, white bread or pasta, alcohol, caffeine, and tobacco can increase cramps.
Herbs to reduce cramps:
How Can I Treat Abdominal Pain
If you have abdominal pain, keeping warm and placing a heat pack or hot water bottle on your stomach may help.
If your abdominal pain does not require you to stop eating and drinking, stay well hydrated by drinking plenty of clear, non-alcoholic fluids. If you have a medical condition that restricts your fluid intake, check with your doctor about how much fluid you can have.
Eat small meals and foods such as rice, dry toast or bananas. Avoid spicy foods, alcohol and caffeine until 48 hours after the pain has gone away.
Several medicines can help if you have non-acute abdominal pain, including:
- paracetamol to ease the pain
- charcoal tablets or similar for wind pain
- medicines to ease spasms
- medicines to stop diarrhoea
Avoid aspirin or anti-inflammatory medicines, such as ibuprofen and naproxen since these can irritate your stomach. A pharmacist can advise you about the most appropriate medicine for your abdominal pain.
In more serious cases, the treatment recommended will depend on the cause and severity of the abdominal pain, and how long you have had it. Treatment may include following a particular diet in the long term getting more exercise taking medicines or having surgery.
Recommended Reading: Is Tramadol Good For Sciatic Nerve Pain
Recommended Reading: Should You Take Probiotics On An Empty Stomach
Baking Soda For Stomach Pain
Sodium bicarbonate, popularly known as baking soda, contains various properties that can benefit the body.
Why Does it Work?
Due to its alkaline nature, baking soda acts as an antacid which can relieve indigestion. It also balances the pH level of the stomach by countering the excessive production of hydrochloric acid. Thus, it can help release gas and bring down abdominal bloating.
- A teaspoon of baking soda
- A glass of warm water
- Place the warm compress over your abdomen.
- Let it rest over your stomach for about 20 minutes.
- Remove the warm compress and reapply after a while.
How much to use?
Do this two to three times a day.
How To Get Rid Of Upper Abdominal Pain
One common health problem that affects people of all ages is abdominal pain. The pain can be caused by many conditions. However, the main causes include an infection, abnormal growth, inflammation, obstruction and intestinal disorders.
The abdomen is divided into four quadrants: right upper quadrant, left upper quadrant, right lower quadrant and left lower quadrant. It is very important to know the exact location of the pain. This helps narrow down possible causes.
In fact, there can be different causes behind abdominal pain in different areas. For instance, pain in the upper abdomen may relate to the liver, right kidney, portions of the colon, spleen, pancreas or stomach.
Upper left abdominal pain can be due to an enlarged spleen, fecal impaction , injury, kidney infection, heart attack or cancer. On the other hand, upper right abdominal pain can be due to hepatitis, injury, pneumonia or appendicitis.
Upper abdominal pain can be dull, intermittent or sharp, depending upon the cause. If the pain is intense and chronic, immediate medical attention is needed.
Once the cause is known, treatment becomes easier. For mild upper abdominal pain, you can get relief from simple home remedies and lifestyle changes.
Here are the top 10 ways to treat upper abdominal pain.
Don’t Miss: How To Get Rid Of Stomach And Thigh Fat
How Is The Cause Of Abdominal Pain Diagnosed
If you are experiencing abdominal pain, you will need a physical examination and possibly some tests to help your doctor diagnose the cause of the pain. The examination or tests you have will depend on what sort of pain you are experiencing, how long you have had it, and your gender. If you are female, the physical examination may include a pelvic exam and pregnancy test. If you are a male, the examination may include checking your penis and scrotum.
The most common tests include:
- x-rays or CT scans
- ultrasound, in which a probe-like microphone is moved over your abdomen
- endoscopy or colonoscopy, in which a long tube is put either down your mouth or into your back passage , while you are under anaesthetic, so a doctor can see what your stomach and bowel look like
What Are Stomach Cramps
Stomach cramps are cyclical tightening of the muscles of the gut that cause pain. It is a nonspecific symptom that refers to the pain present anywhere in the abdominal area. Organs in the abdomen include the stomach, small intestine, colon, liver, gallbladder and pancreas, and any disorder in these organs may cause pain. Most stomach cramps are not serious and heal with home remedies. However, cramps that last for a long time need a consultation with a physician.
Read Also: How To Get Rid Of Bacteria In Your Stomach
Drinking Plenty Of Water
Rehydrating the body by drinking water may help to improve the symptoms of a hangover.
Alcohol is a diuretic, which means that it increases the amount of urine a person passes. The resulting loss in fluid can cause dehydration and electrolyte imbalances. These factors contribute to a hangover.
Staying hydrated while drinking alcohol could help to prevent or reduce a hangover. People can try drinking a glass of water between alcoholic drinks and just before bed.
You May Like: Is Heat Or Ice Good For Nerve Pain
Using Apple Cider Vinegar As A Stomachache Cure
Another paradoxical-sounding remedy is using acidic drinks to relieve pain from gastric reflux. Since gastric reflux can result in stomach acid leaking out into places its not wanted, your stomachs acidity can end up lower than is optimal for digesting food.
Drinking apple cider vinegar can help improve the levels and ease an upset stomach. This assumes that youre able to, well, stomach the drink in the first place. While apple cider vinegar does its work best if taken raw, you may find mixing it with water, a teaspoon of honey, and sipping slowly to be the more tolerable option.
- Add one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to one cup of warm water.
- Mix in one tablespoon of honey.
- Drink this remedy every three hours until pain is gone.
Recommended Reading: What Helps Relieve Stomach Bloating
Apply Peppermint Essential Oil To The Abdomen
Like the benefits that ginger and apple cider vinegar offer, peppermint essential oil acts in a similar way. If you dont have ginger or ACV on hand when a stomachache hits but peppermint oil in your cabinets, this can be a great way to help relive the pain.
Peppermint offers a number of digestive health benefits, most notably it can help to reduce muscle spasms in the gastric lining and colon.
Mix a few drops of peppermint essential oil with a carrier oil like fractionated coconut oil and rub across your abdomen wherever discomfort is occurring.
If you dont have peppermint oil but you have peppermint tea, this can be equally beneficial and soothing to drink.
Plantar Fasciitis Pain Relief That Really Works Catum For Chronic Pain Medicinal Plant
Best Pain Relief Pills For Poison Ivy Chest Pain Relief Lying Down Abdominal Pain After Constipation Relief. Depression And Substance Abuse Chronic Pain Alternative Methods For Pain Relief. Coccyx Seat Cushion For Back Support Tailbone And Sciatica Pain Relief Nursing Teaching Plan Managing Chronic Pain. Tight Muscle Pain Relief Spasm Living A Healthy Life With Chronic Pain.
How To Convince Your Doctor You Have Chronic Pain Muscle Pain Relief For Legs. Quick Pain Relief For Toothache Can I Take Pain Relief Medicine With Antibiotics Pain From Sciatica Relief. How To Find A Point To Live When You Are In Chronic Pain Role Of Gap Junctions In Chronic Pain.
Also Check: How Much To Get Stomach Fat Removed
How Does It Work
Some people believe that following the BRAT diet can provide several benefits for those with an upset stomach and diarrhea. The apparent benefits include:
- Firmer stools. The foods in the diet are starchy and low in fiber, which may cause loose and runny stools to bind more easily.
- Gentle on the stomach. The foods are low in fat and protein, meaning that they are unlikely to irritate the stomach and put stress on the digestive system.
- Reduced nausea. Due to their bland flavor and lack of strong smells, BRAT foods do not tend to cause nausea or vomiting.
However, these foods do not have varied enough nutrients to warrant the long-term use of this diet.
Chamomile Tea To Cure Stomach Pain
Chamomile tea is known to work as an anti-inflammatory along the digestive tract.
If your stomach pain is caused by gastritis or indigestion, a cup of chamomile can offer relief. It does this by relaxing muscles along the stomach and the esophagus, easing the contractions that push food along, and lessens any cramps or spasms you are experiencing.
- Place one teaspoon of dried chamomile in one cup of boiled water.
- Cover and allow to steep for 15 minutes.
- Strain tea and add lemon or honey for taste.
- Drink up to three cups daily
Don’t Miss: How To Make Your Stomach Thinner
How Do I Treat Upper Abdominal Pain
Treatment of upper abdominal pain depends on the cause. If it is caused by GERD or indigestion, changing what you eat and how much you eat in one sitting can help to alleviate the pain. For other conditions such as trauma, you will likely have to wait until the injury heals and take pain relievers to manage the pain as you recover.
Also Check: Where Is Wrist Tendonitis Pain
Take A Shot Of Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar packs a big and beneficial punch when it comes to our digestion. It helps to balance the acidity of the stomach, which we need a certain level of in order to even break down food fully.
Oftentimes we actually lack enough acid in our stomach, despite popular belief that we have too much, and this can make digestion quite difficult. Stomachaches are one of the telltale signs of too little acid in the stomach.
Add 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to a cup of water and drink it as soon as you can to help boost acid production and begin relieving your stomachache. It can also help to do this in advance of eating to stimulate digestive function early on.
Don’t Miss: What To Eat After Stomach Bug
Ulcer Pain That Requires Immediate Attention
If your pain gets severe, you may need to seek immediate medical attention. Symptoms like vomiting or blood in your stool could indicate bleeding. Since bleeding ulcers often heal and then bleed again, they require more extensive treatment regimens. Some people also need IV fluids and blood transfusions in the hospital.
Perforation is when an ulcer leads to a hole in the wall of your stomach. Other perforation symptoms include sudden, severe abdominal pain, a rapid heartbeat, and a low body temperature.
dont eat it if it causes your discomfort